5.0 out of 5 stars Black Beast R.S Guthrie - Wow fantastic
Published on 14 Sep 2011 by torrenstp

3.0 out of 5 stars Limp!
Detectives in pursuit of occult forces. Not for me. If you can't develop a plot I suppose the incomprehensible is one way out.
Published 6 months ago by gareth smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Beast R.S Guthrie - Wow fantastic, 14 Sep 2011
This review is from: Black Beast (A Detective Bobby Mac Thriller Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This was fantastic read, Detective MacAulay is about to be thrust into the world of the unknown which few dare to venture but he has no choice - No choice at all...This story got my brain ticking away and asking the most impossible questions we all close our minds to in fear that what could be. This was a fast paced suspence filled journey, I could not put this book down, every spare minute of my time was taken up with this brilliant book. Beautifully written very descriptive, and I loved the Authors use of a symbolic drawing to better describe a situation - this gave way to imagination at gigantic proportions. I love it a really super read. More please! This author is definately one to watch in the future. If you want a page turner then buy this book, you wont regret it.

Dawn Torrens

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch out Alex Cross, Bobby Mac is here!, 12 Nov 2011
Black Beast grabbed me from the very first chapter. I don't get a lot of time to read, usually twenty minutes in bed, but this was a story I couldn't put down and I found myself having early nights just to get my next fix.

The characters are beautifully drawn without slowing down the pace of the book and every time I picked up my kindle it was just a few sentences before I was drawn into Bobby Mac's world. I saw the characters so vividly it was as if I was watching the film version (and surely there will be one with such a great plot).

Guthrie has created a protagonist in Bobby Mac that will push Alex Cross all the way, and I can see this turning into an epic series of novels.

I have no hesitation in giving Black Beast five stars and will be first in line to buy the next of Guthrie's works.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 11 Feb 2012
I found this novel by chance, looking for something to read on my new Kindle.
I started reading it even if I had other titles in my reading list.
Must say I don't regret it as it kept me reading till the end without distractions.
The main character Bobby Mac is well described and credible in its human aspects even if the story he goes through are mainly supernatural.
Of course not everything is perfect: some chapters seem to have incongruences or the events flow too fast. But hey we are talking about voodoo, possessions etc.
I'm surely going to read its sequel LOST.
I already miss Bobby!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 12 Jun 2014
A good product and a good price......very effective reading in the sunshine when we have some.....a very good value product

3.0 out of 5 stars Limp!, 15 Mar 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable..., 23 July 2013
I enjoyed this book even though it was a supernatural / detective crime (not what I would usually read).

The main character - Bobby Mac - is a very interesting character who finds out his family's history and finds it hard to believe. However, events happen and it all becomes clear. Poor Bobby Mac has a had a rough past and will do anything to protect his son Cole. I found the story gripping and would recommend if you like the supernatural theme.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fast-paced page-flicker, 6 Feb 2012
Once again, an independent author proven that the big commercial publishers just are not effective at finding good writers. RS Guthrie's debut novel is a good, fast-paced read that kept me turning pages -- or at least, flicking the screen of my e-reader.

Black Beast is an attempt to marry supernatural horror with hardboiled cop mystery. It's mostly successful, if a little uneven in spots.

Synopsis: Robert Macaulay, "Bobby Mac," is a Denver, Colorado cop with an artificial leg and a lot of history. The story begins with a death-row visit to the criminal who killed Macaulay's first partner and was responsible for the loss of Macaulay's leg, as well.

Macaulay is then perplexed by a series of especially grisly murders in Denver, and other events that bring up old cases he had worked one.

Macaulay's family history becomes much more present, though, when he's visited by his uncle, Father West, who reveals that Bobby Mac is the heir to an occult weapon and a responsibility to fight an ancient evil.

Author Rob Guthrie successfully weaves together the occult and the fact-based murder mystery genres in this tale. I'm not sure whether plotting or character development is his strongest point. Macaulay and all the other characters are absolutely believable (except maybe for some of the buddies from the Marines -- but then, I've never been in the armed forces). I really identified with the main character's awkwardness and difficulty with his college-aged son, and the anguish over the death of his wife.
And as for plot, there is only one big coincidence in this book. Everything else that I thought was a credibility stretch is very nicely tied together by the end. To me, this is a mark of a writer who takes his craft seriously.

There are a few places where Guthrie goes a little over the top, mainly in his descriptions of horror and ancient evil and in descriptions of criminals, but I can forgive those. By far, most of the prose is tight and fast paced. I was never bored reading this book.

I cannot understand why no commercial publisher picked this title up. Oh, right -- because Rob Guthrie isn't a celebrity.

He should be, by now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Down and Dirty Good vs. Evil, 25 May 2012
Kudos to R.S. Guthrie! At its heart, BLACK BEAST is a detective thriller with a twist of the nasty supernatural that carries the reader along. I love this kind of book - demons (real and personal), a heroic family with a responsibility to fight evil, a weapon that gives them the power to do so, and some grisly killing!

Bobby Mac is one of those characters you can't help but love. The guy's had a hard time of it but still musters the courage to go on in the face of some truly tragic bumps in the road. Mr. Guthrie shows us the pain and grief of Bobby's losses with a raw honesty that is at times painful to read.

BLACK BEAST's story and characters drew me in and had me picking up my Kindle at every opportunity. If you enjoy a fast paced read with a compelling story-line and great character development, give this one a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, 5 Feb 2012
I've been super busy lately, so much so that it has taken me weeks to get through my most favorite authors' New York Times bestsellers. Big names, page-turning books. I'm telling you this so when I tell you that I finished Black Beast within a 24-hour period you'll understand the significance, that this book is that good! From the get-go, the story grabbed me by the shirt collar and demanded my full attention, forcing everything else to go on hold. Bobby Mac's struggle with his personal demons- and with actual ones- is absorbing, and R.S. Guthrie carves him out so skillfully that he feels real. The writing is powerful and vivid, manipulating the heart to race and the eyes to tear up. This was by far the most emotional mystery that I've ever read and one of the best. One last callout: the dialogue. Dialogue makes or breaks a story, and Guthrie's is exceptional. It's clever, rings true, and shouts volumes about the speaker, and could easily be adapted into a screenplay (hint hint). What I find most amazing is that this is Guthrie's debut novel. Coming straight out of the chute with something that competes with the masters, imagine that? Needless to say, I highly recommend the first installment of Clan Of MacAulay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, thrilling read!!, 11 May 2012
Whew! What a thrilling ride! You can't even begin to guess what's coming next, even if you're a seasoned horror/mystery reader. I love the humanity written into Bobby Mac, whose misfortunes are unbelievably intense and...believable...even if they are fantasy. Or are they? This is a read that will leave you questioning what, indeed, you really do know about heaven and hell, or your family and friends. Author Guthrie has a winner in this first novel of his, and his language and dialog skills make this a brilliant read!