I was recently asked to recommend a book on Asperger's Syndrome and, without hesitation, this was the one. It covers everything you need to know about Asperger's in clear, easy-to-read, jargon-free language.

Published on 25 Mar 2010 by Mike Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars This book if by no means perfect-don't get carried away
I have Asperger's Syndrome, an adult and married with a son.

I am extremely disappointed with this book. I had extremely high expectations as other reviewers talk about this book "In short...this is a Bible on Asperger's Syndrome". Others refer to the author as Saint Tony. In my opinion an unwarranted myth is being built up around Tony Attwood as though he is...
Published on 17 Feb 2009 by Manx Mann

5.0 out of 5 stars The most complete and authoritative guide to Asperger's Syndrome, 25 Mar 2010
Mike Williams (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews

The most likely readership is probably parents who have discovered their child has Asperger's and want to know what the future holds for their child. A large part of the book caters for this scenario and Dr Attwood provides many techniques for parents that can help their child and aid his or her integration into mainstream schools and beyond. However, Dr Attwood never strays far from the incredible gifts that Asperger's can also bring - something that may be hard to see when a diagnosis is first made. The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome also covers adolescents, with some very plain and useful advice for emerging into adulthood and all the pitfalls that can arise.

What made the book particularly relevant to me is that I was diagnosed as an adult and I read this book with my wife so that I could finally explain how and why I see the world differently to her. There is nothing so liberating as having all your eccentricities explained and described. Even here, however, the book stresses the gifts that Asperger's brings and, whilst I am undoubtedly different as a result of the condition, I would certainly not want to be any other way. Dr Attwood understands this and his advice is relevant, compassionate, and very real.

I must cut this short as Asperger's people have a habit of rambling. If you are reading this because of a diagnosis of Asperger's, fear of a diagnosis, or even wanting to get to know your odd friends better, this is the book you should read. It takes away the fear and makes you feel very privileged to be in the presence of such an intriguing condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just one book... make it this one., 2 Feb 2007
Suzie "Say something about yourself!" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have read lots of books on AS and reviewed many of them. What I am always warning is that in most cases any one book never gives a complete picture.

Tony Attwood's book though is about as complete a picture as you could get right now and is not only far superior to his first guide to the subject but to many others on the market.

If you read just one book on AS this should be it. It is easy to read, packed with information, and the author's respect and appreciation for people with Asperger's is evident on every page.

It's professional, it's factual, it's understanding, it's worth owning a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spendid!, 16 Sep 2008
The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome is a must to strengthen your strategies as well as your knowledge on any kinds of specific symptoms on Asperger Syndrome. Also, Dr. Attwood explains other related and/or complicated syndromes. Although this book has so many pages, it is quite easy to read and includes no complicated structure. It is reader-friendly, if you ask me! If you find it quite tough to read it all through, you might as well pick up your favorite chapters. And it's going to lighten the loads of your mind and deepen your understanding on your AS traits.
After all, this book provides a lot of solutions to tackle their problems not only for Aspies but teachers, parents, friends, siblings, colleagues, and bosses who deal with AS people and those who are likely to have AS. And this will minimize their shortcomings on AS, worse or worst situations, and their stresses. It is Aspies who suffer their symptoms most!
If possible, I could give more than 6 stars to this wonderful book Tony Attwood wrote!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome, 7 Feb 2008
This remarkable book gives an incredibly clear account of asperger's and its impact on people around them. It is easy to read yet gives the most profound insights and cause for joy and optimism. A diagnosis of Aspergers is not the end of the world but a way of accessing the genius and talents that can go with it. If you know people who may be on the autistic spectrum it gives you a way of understanding and enjoying them and seeing the truth beneath a way of being that can make people hard to know. Reading the book has been an eyeopener for me, I have always enjoyed being with unusual people and now understand why.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 24 July 2009
If you only buy one book on Asperger's Sydrome, it would be this one. When it arrived I felt rather overwhelmed by the size of the book (anyone already dealing with AS will know that there is no time left over!), however once I started on this I couldn't put it down! I began with the chapters that were most relevant to our current needs - social skills and bullying and find it easy to 'dip' in and out of. Tony Attwood describes everything brilliantly and has the wondeful skill of being able to put things very clearly and go into quite a lot of detail at the same time! - it's a good meaty read with everything beautifully explained and how and why to help - perfect! The social skills chapter breaks down help & explanations by age (so if you didn't find out about the AS until later in life you can skip the earlier bits) which is extremely helpful. Despite being detailed it is not a dry academic read. I think it is relevant to all ages, so if you have a family where the condition affects several family members this is ideal. If you really want to get get to grips with understanding the condition this is the book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars the complete guide to aspergers symdrome...tony attwood, 26 Mar 2010
Mary Hall (England) - See all my reviews
As a parent with an adult son who has never been diagnosed as having aspergers, and a husband who I suspected also as having this condition, I recommend it to anyone needing enlightenment.
It is written in a way that is easy to read. A summary at the end of each chapter helps to recap and condense the information covered in the chapter or the reader can read first the summary to get an overview of what the chapter contains. Everything is covered...vocabulary explained, other references and resources pinpointed.
For myself this book has been and still is very helpful with our family situation.
I will read other books referred to in this one, but I suspect this is probably the most comprehensive without being daunting.
Thank you Tony Attwood.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Guide to Asperger Syndrome, 29 Dec 2007
When we were at the assessment stage this book really helped me to recognise what my child's problem was. It has so much information, and I have reread it several times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Contains useful information, 13 Feb 2010
The reason I believe Tony Atwood's book is successful, useful because all I've read from him when explaining aspergers Syndrome, he does not generalise or stereotype. This is a common mistake many individuals do when explaining the condition and in response, many usually don't take a liking to it, especially from a great amount who have Aspergers.

He appears to acknowledge every individual who has aspergers syndrome is a unique being. He is open to this, therefore offers a description of a wide variety of traits they could have. They would not have them all, but there's would also be different to others with the condition. After all, no two are the same. For this reason, I would certainly recommend any person who wants a greater understanding of the condition to read this book.

I like the idea he uses of using a metaphor to help explain aspergers syndrome. He mentioned if a person driving a car cannot see the road signs, they are more prone to causing an accident. It is pretty much equivalent to when a person with aspergers syndrome is in a social situation. Many cannot see the social cues, therefore are more likely to cause a social error or accident.

He has a section about bullying, giving very truthful information. He mentions those who have Asperger's are often targets because of usually being in solitude and/ or passive in nature so usually are less likely to respond with anger.

A very good book but one criticism I do have is he mentions more about Aspergers syndrome in boys than in girls. Even though there are more boys who have it than girls, I still believe it is important there should be just as much information for both sexes rather than putting most focus into one. I believe us girls who have the condition are entitled to just as much research and understanding about our gender with aspergers. This also applies to many books which have already been published.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Asperger's Bible - Truly a Godsend!, 10 Aug 2007
BeatleBangs1964 (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Dr. Attwood is the leading expert on Asperger's Syndrome (AS) which is the spectrum partner to autism. This book is, at the time of this review his most current work. It is a shining gem and one of the standouts in autism/Asperger's (a/A) literature. If you are on the a/A continuum or know somebody who is, this book is your best friend. You will refer to it many times.

What makes this book all the more excellent and distinct is that Dr. Attwood discusses adults on the a/A spectrum as well. Autism in its myriad forms including AS does not clear up once a person hits adulthood. If you have it, it is with you for the long haul. Dr. Attwood's book and words of wisdom help lighten the load.

I have bought several copies of this book and have kept one for myself and gave the others to professionals in dire need of it. This book deserves a place of high honor and no parent; professional; person on the spectrum; anybody involved with a person/people on the spectrum should go without this book.

I was delighted to see a section devoted to intersensory marriage, that is of a neurotypical (NT) person to somebody on the a/A continuum. I would like to see more coverage of this much needed topic as AS presents a wide array of social challenges. Still, it is heartwarming; uplifting and encouraging to see more information devoted to intersensory marriages.

I agree with other reviewers who say Dr. Attwood is the best - I think we should propose a toast and raise our glasses to Dr. Attwood!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Feb 2010
AC Elliott (UK) - See all my reviews
Still going through this one! It's fantastically complete. I've previously read the library dry, trawled the internet, trying to find out all I could to better help and understand my eight year old. This book has introduced me to things I'd never heard of before. I feel everytime I pick this book I learn something new. I thoroughly recommend it.