4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and enjoyable
Published 3 months ago by Andy P

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange film
One of those films you watch uncomfortably for most of the time.
Has some funny moments, but not a laugh out loud film.
Published 17 months ago by Mr. James W. Nash

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange film, 2 Feb 2013
Mr. James W. Nash (Black Notley, UK) - See all my reviews
One of those films you watch uncomfortably for most of the time.
Has some funny moments, but not a laugh out loud film.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the worst film out there but..., 3 Jun 2014
Katie85 (Northamptonshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Horrible Bosses [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Well, I suppose this has an original storyline and the cast is quite decent but I don't think this was executed as well as it could have been. As long as you don't take it too seriously then it is possible to watch this the entire way through, albeit not always comfortably. This was a gift and this is the sort of film I can either take or leave so chances are I would have ended up seeing this anyway at some point. But I can't say I found it particularly funny, it had its moments but it is certainly not "jaw achingly funny". I will say there are clear reasons why this is a 15 certificate film. I have watched films with worse language and the like, but those films had some redeeming features such as a good storyline, language used only in moderation or a character who brings a sense of balance to things, but these things were missing in this film. I have seen worse films, but this is not one film I get out to watch over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and enjoyable, 6 April 2014
Having read several reviews that said the film wasn't up too much, my wife and I weren't expecting it to be very good, but thought we'd give it a try because of the high quality cast, and we were both very pleasantly surprised! I tend to think that comedies are the hardest films to produce - it isn't easy to have a story, script or acting that produces laughs, but this film did it. It may not have succeeded in giving us belly laughs, but we would definitely recommend the film as one that is very amusing, extremely well acted and well scripted with a quirky story line.

3.0 out of 5 stars Uneven, 31 Oct 2012
Charles Vasey (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Horrible Bosses [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
This is certainly not 9 to 5 in which the horrible boss was skewered by his three employees. It lacked the believability and acting ability of the earlier film. The three horrible bosses were very well played but I found the three leads weak, and the high-pitched one a total pain. Indeed, the quality of the supporting cast really shows up the leads. I can see the attempt to be like Hangover (one serious, one Lothario, and one nutter) but the plan failed in the execution. What saves matters is that this becomes a comedy of excruciation. Our heroes cannot do anything without it rebounding in the most horrible fashion possible.

3.0 out of 5 stars Missed The Spot, 22 Nov 2011
The premise of this movie was quite good, as most of us have had days at work when we have been taken to the "attitude clinic" or a run in with the manager and feel like murdering them! The movie had the potential to be a much darker version of "Office Space" but unfortunately failed to deliver.

Part of the problem is the characterisation. Of the bosses, only Kevin Spacey's "bullyboy" manager really hit true. Jennifer Aniston's cougar act as a female dentist preying on male staff and customers alike was just too OTT, as was Colin Farrell's Les Grossman alike. The most irritating part was however Charlie Day's hyper and chatty dental assistant, he just ruined the film for me. It became apparent fairly early on that the bulk of the movie was going to be all talk, with very little action or progression towards actually bumping off the antagonists.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the movie is quite crude in places. I'm no prude but it seemed to me whenever the plot was sagging a bit, they gave Jennifer Anniston a few dirty lines or F-bombs to titillate male viewers used to seeing her in more demure roles.

On reflection it was probably worth a rental but not a permanent place in the collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its not what they're raving about., 9 July 2013
This review is from: Horrible Bosses [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
It's an okay film. Not the best I've seen and I certainly wouldn't give it 5 stars as a lot of people have but maybe that's just my preference. It had a few good laughs but mostly it wasn't very funny. All in all it's watchable. You see Jennifer Aniston in a different role normally she plays romcom type films and she has come away from that aspect of her career in this film. The casting is good but I wasn't fond of the story line. That's my opinion any way.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Wasted Opportunity, 6 Feb 2012
This review is from: Horrible Bosses [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I can't shake the feeling that this film could have been properly hilarious and am still slightly irritated that it was as mediocre as it turned out to be.

The story goes, three mates are suffering at work due to the horrendous bosses that they work under. Having had enough, they decide to take matters into their own hands and have them 'bumped off' with hilarious results...apparently.

As mentioned before, this film could have been great if only the writers had put a bit more thought into it. The story feels lazy and by the numbers. Whilst some characters are pretty entertaining (ie Spacey's psycho and Farrel's sleazebag), others felt like filler. Aniston was more cringe worthy than funny, relying on simple smut rather than actual humour. It's like the writer has spent his life fantasising about her and thought it was a great opportunity to vent his deviancy all in the name of comedy.

As for the three main characters played by Bateman, Sudeikis and Day, they have moments of brilliance but all too often lapse into the standard gross out/shock tactics that seem to be the American comedy standard at the moment. I mean as soon as one of them started wiping his a*se with his bosses toothbrush I thought the script was grasping at straws a bit.

Also, why have they cast an oscar winning actor like Foxx in a part where he not only isn't funny, but isn't even interesting?

I know the film isn't meant to be high brow or anything and I wasn't expecting it to be, but why can't comedy writers just think a bit more about what might get a belly laugh rather than a smirk? As I said, lazy and by the numbers.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Missed Opportunity!, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Horrible Bosses [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
A great pity as this had potential but was ruined by bad ideas to grab attention . Really could have been cleverly funny instead of crude and filled with bad language to make up for lack of proper humorous dialogue. Truly dreadful! (Only cost 3 so won`t mind disposing of it!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad, 4 Feb 2013
Junius (London, Middlesex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horrible Bosses [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
The basic premise of the film is good and the horrible bosses are amusing stereotypes. There's some good moments, and Jennifer Anniston plays a different role to normal. However, there's an odd moment near the end when the heroes are about to be arrested and could evade it by landing one of their three enemies in the sticky stuff, but inexplicably they don't. The excessive use of bad language is pretty boring after a while and suggests the scriptwriters' limited vocabulary. Buy a theasaurus, chaps! Not too many laughs for a comesy either. Overall a reasonable way to pass the time but not brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars comedy's funniest, 8 July 2014
Absolutely hilarious, smart quick and witty humour, also a must for Jennifer Aniston fans!

Horrible Bosses [DVD] [2011]
Horrible Bosses [DVD] [2011] by Jason Bateman (DVD - 2011)
2.75