on 3 July 2011
I became addicted to this series, even though the first episode left me cold. I love watching and listening to intelligent people (fictional or not), and Will, Miles, Grant and Tania, are the brilliant intelligence analyst team that is focused on. I also became fond of them all, even the least likable character, Grant Test.
Yes, there is not a lot of action or killing. I think only two deaths occur that we see, and one fight. There is bit of romance between Miles and another analyst. Miles, who is twitchy and anxious provides the little humour there is, as does in a strange way, Truxton Spangler. There is an odd episode where Will and Spangler go away for the weekend for an intelligence seminar, and Spangler explains the importance of having a good briefcase.
Almost, forgot, there is also some romance between Will and his neighbour.
I found the end quite satisfying but as the series has been axed, due to low viewing figures in the U.S, we will never know the complete outcome or fate of the characters.
I have read this series was chopped in favour of one about zombies. Says it all really. zombies for zombies.
on 17 June 2011
Best series to come out of America in years. Intelligent, thoughtful, exciting and with great dialogue and character development. The wait for the DVD will hopefully pass quickly as I can't wait to watch through again and catch all the coversation, from every angle, from every level of this great look into the lives of intelligence analysts.
Why did the Americans cancel it?
Why did the BBC show it on BBC4 at 10pm ?
Questions that Will and Miles would surely have answers for.
on 13 February 2012
Do you like to watch sweaty ripped muscles? You do?! That's great, but don't buy this DVD.
Do you like to watch explosions and car chases? You do?! That's great, but don't buy this DVD.
Do you like to watch repetitive and generic TV?
Do you like to watch repetitive and generic TV? You do?! That's great, but don't buy this DVD.

Now........

Do you like to watch a TV series based on a intelligent script injected with humour, intrique and pathos that unbelivably develops each character with care and patience, a cast who can act for once, a labyrinthine plot WITH sub-plots and supreme direction? You do?! Then like me, you WILL buy this DVD and you will be rewarded with one of the best (yet criminally under-watched, under-valued and over-looked) TV series in the last decade.

There! I've said it..............
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 August 2011
I've watched the whole series on BBC iPlayer and I'm looking out for the DVD when it comes out. This is certainly not for everyone. I'll get the minus points out of the way first.

* the first two hours were directed by Jason Horwitch as a chilly art house experience. No one smiles, no one makes much sense, life is cold, unhappy and intensely stylish. I loved it.
* the rest of the series is far more conventional, people smile, and you don't need to concentrate so much. More commercial less arty.
* the show was cancelled after one series, this is it, this is all you get
* it is intensely slow, for a thriller, very little actually happens,

The good news is that it is intelligent, it looks great, the actors are all top notch, and the script is fine thoughtful stuff. It follows a group of intelligence analysts who begin to suspect that their intelligence is being used for other purposes. Despite their intelligence these are flawed people, and the drama is as much human as it is conventional thriller.

This is not perfect, but there is very little tv that is for grown ups, this is a rare example. Good quality stuff, that engages throughout, and builds to a reasonable climax, where enough loose ends are tied up to satisfy.

EDIT - I have recently rewatched this series, and have upped my marking from four to five. I probably enjoyed it even more second time around, although the impenetrabilities of the plot remained, the gradual thawing of the characters was more evident second time around. This is a series that really makes you care for the characters, not merely to add to the thrill of subsequently placing them in jeopardy, but because sometimes threats and challenges make us into more than who we were. I can imagine rewatching this every few years with much pleasure.
on 9 November 2012
I really enjoyed this series and was royally pissed-off when it was axed in the US.
A real spy story about gathering and interpreting intelligence. I did not think that
the 'septics' could produce a series like this - no car chases, explosions, violence etc.
I found the series to be almost cerebral, but you have to get stuck into it 100%. There's
no point making a cuppa in the middle of it.
The characterizations went that extra mile, something I did not expect; although the main
character is scarcely a hero, one is drawn into the drama and empathize totally with him.
What I though was unique with this production was the feeling of menace that accompanied it.
It grabbed your lapels and held you 'til the end.
Although there was no comparison between them, it did remind me at times of Sydney Pollack's
'Three days of the Condor' another fine production.
on 26 June 2011
Brilliant in every quarter, writing, plot, sets and filming and not a bad performance anywhere. Therefore as it's not dumbed down it's fated not to be aimed at a wider audience which is an insult to that very audience. Watch it, buy it if available, enjoy it and immerse yourself in a tangled web of intrigue and deceit.
on 19 July 2012
Without doubt the best tv series I have watched. Great acting, superb storyline, interesting plot, atmospheric, I could go on and on. What a shame the American public did not seem to get it and therefore it was cancelled.

I still vainly hope this show will be picked up by another network.
on 22 August 2013
The 5 stars is for the show not the dvd release, basically because the show was beautifully written and acted and deserves an audience. Unfortunatly AMC currently have no plans to release this show on DVD anywhere in the world, the only legitimate way to watch it is through a streaming service if you live in America, for us Brits we cannot watch it. I have written to AMC requesting a release but got no response. Hopefully everyone that visits this page will write/email AMC and we get a release date for this tremendous show one day.
on 28 April 2016
Rubicon is one excellent American series that got away, which is a travesty because most Yanks can't handle anything that involves a fair amount of concentration while watching a film or tv. It's become much like it here in the UK. As another remarked; there are no explosions, no car chases, no gun battles, (however we do get a train crash.). But there is plenty of intelligent dialogue, and real menace and tension to be found as the API go about their business. There are some superb dubious characters in this drama, as well as the good guy and main character, Will Travers who heads his team of researchers And of course the acting is first rate all round.

This is a slow burner for maybe half of its 13 episodes, but in the second half the tension really starts to crank up. And sadly there is a cliffhanger at the end, because AMC were expecting to produce a second series, so very frustrating.

As you are well aware, there is no DVD release available unless you want to pay a fortune for a second hand copy when one comes along. But this wonderful series (all 13 eps) is still available online if you know where to look, and that is how I managed to download the whole lot for zilch. And as someone pointed out, it's even better when you re-watch it. No feelings of guilt here as I have read AMC could not even be bothered to respond to anyone asking them where they could find a copy, or about re-releasing Rubicon.
on 20 June 2011
Why is it that so many shows with merit to come out of the States are binned these days whilst Reality TV drivel gets renewed year after year ?

Highly recommended - le Carrier-esque intrigue, with a dash of realism.