5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product
I've had this watch for a couple of weeks. Having never used anything like this before, and only 6mths into running/fitness, i was very unsure whether to spend this kind of money and especially as it only had 7 reviews at the time. But i read a lot of reviews on other similar products, and the older Garmin ones, and felt that getting the latest version was a chance worth...
Published on 31 Dec 2011 by nick

2.0 out of 5 stars doesn't charge
Published on 4 Jan 2012 by JFM

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Vastly improved!, 2 Aug 2012
I have been a loyal garmin forerunner fan since I started running 3 years ago. I have been using the 305 and have been really happy with it.....the only downside being the size of the watch itself. I was keen to upgrade and got the 410.....BIG MISTAKE...rubbish control system!!!!...avoid at all costs. I was therefore a little reluctant to go for the 610 however went for it anyway and haven't regretted it so far...it's a vast improvement on the 305. I was concerned about the touch screen however have been very impressed. If you love running and gadgets, get one!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Running Tool with a few bugs, 18 Oct 2013
James Wells (UK) - See all my reviews
I have now had this device for around 4 weeks. I run 2 or 3 times a week, at varying paces, particularly training to improve my 10km time.

Firstly I want to mention the initial setup of the watch is pretty simple, it took around a minute. Other reviews I have read have said that the first time acquiring the GPS was around a minute but quicker there after. A point on that, dont wear the watch when trying to acquire a GPS signal. I have found that taking the watch off, putting it on the floor, whilst I stretch my legs enables the watch to pick up its signal quicker.

The watch seems to upload when it feels like it when it goes near my computer, and I can see no rhyme or reason why it isnt always immediate. Either way it happens automatically within 10 minutes or so; whilst I am cooling down.

The HR monitor is great, and a great addition to my running toolkit. That additional information is really helping make improvements, and its mostly because of the abillity to track my heart rate and the GPS at the same time that I have scored this highly. If however I didnt want the HR information, then my phone app would have sufficed.

Issues: Yesterday I tried to upload some runs I completed whilst away with work, but unfortunately one of the runs seems to have corrupted and I have lost the data. Its a shame as it was a specific heart rate zone run, and was hoping to note some improvement. I am hoping I dont see the issue again.

Summary:

Good device, with some issues, but works most of the time.

EDIT 25/03/14 The issues I had experienced has not happened since. The way I got around it was selecting the option to delete the data from the watch once its uploaded. Also a useful tip, if when you are running and the battery alerts as being low (this has happened to me a lot) it will run out invariably before you finish the run, unless you turn of the Heart Rate Monitor and backlight. I had the alert about 7km into a run, and managed to complete a further 13km by taking the actions described above to prolong the battery life. Hope that helps :) or remember to charge the battery :p

5.0 out of 5 stars I prefer this to the 910, 11 April 2013
Bought 610 1.5yrs ago and used it all the time and loved it. As I do triathlons and swim open water I decided to sell it and buy the 910. I wore it once and didn't like it. Too big for my wrist and I really missed the touch screen features. So, I sent it back to Amazon and got another 610!
I use it for running and cycling and the data feeds back to my coach in France to analyse. Sometimes the HR is incorrect but not often. Easy to upload data. Love it to bits.

2.0 out of 5 stars doesn't charge, 4 Jan 2012
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS Running Watch (Electronics)
After about 3 months of loving the watch, it has now stopped charging and gone completely blank. from looking at other forums (amazon US, and garmin users forum), it seems this is pretty common, called 'reverse charging' i.e. the watch drains when you plug it in. Now there is absolutely nothing i can do apart from send it back to Garmin, paying for postage, and wait for a new one. I wouldn't mind as much but my response from customer serive said they were 'not aware' of it being a common problem, which is nonsense!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic watch for demanding runners // Reverse charging issue overblown, 17 Aug 2012
Bacci (Brussels, BE) - See all my reviews
I've had the FR610 for about a year now and used it during some 2000 miles worth of running and cycling. I also have the bundled heart rate strap, Garmin foot pod and GSC-10 bike sensor (installed on tri bike).

PRO

+ Touch screen works very well, including in rain and when wearing gloves
+ Separate customisable screens for cycling and running (for cycling more than 2 items per screen makes it hard to see, for running 4 items per screen works for me)
+ Creation of custom workouts on the FR610 itself (as opposed to on PC only), great when traveling
+ Fast GPS signal catch and good lock-on, hardly ever loses signal
+ Has a 1 second GPS recording mode, which increases accuracy and creates much smoother curves around athletics tracks
+ Custom workouts are superb, e.g. interval or tempo trainings. The watch supports customised descriptions, counts down to start, etc.
+ Works well in combination with foot pod: when losing signal in tunnels or valleys, during treadmill workouts, but also for a more accurate read of immediate speed and for keeping track of running cadence. Does not eat a lot of battery life.
+ Wireless automatic data transfer and upload to Garmin Connect, also supports Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
+ Garmin Connect online software gives the runner all analysis data needed in a nice single overview
+ Watch can buzz each mile/kilometer or during customised workouts, great for keeping track of pace and heart rate when running with IPod

CON

- Have to keep the contacts of both charger and watch clean before charging to avoid the battery depleting instead of charging (= annoying)
- Pins that attach wrist bands to the watch may occasionally come out (happened once to me)
- Not waterproof enough for swimming
- No smooth transition between running and cycling (and potentially transition), have to keep pressing reset button first to save e.g. first leg of a duathlon and then again to switch sports
- Heart rate monitor sometimes reports erratic data during first few minutes of workout (with strap contact points made wet)
- No possibility to erase erratic data (e.g. 100mph or 250bpm heart rate first seconds of a run) in Garmin Connect, which squashes the graph to included the outlier data point

CONCLUSION

The 'reverse charging' issue is somewhat annoying but imho not a dealbreaker, keep the contacts clean and it charges fine. Apart from not being waterproof enough to swim with and no possibility of running and cycling in a single workout the FR610 is terrific. I highly recommend it to demanding runners, but triathletes should look at the 910XT instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and ease-of-use outdoor fitness tracker, 27 Jan 2014
I have now had the Garmin Forerunner 610 for some 2 years and is very, very impressed with its durability and accuracy. It has tracked my runs in the tropics and sub-tropics as well as at altitude in frosty weather and has always delivered.

I can recommend the Garmin Forerunner 610 to anyone who intends to track any outdoor pursuit and who wants ease of use and durability.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS Running Watch (Electronics)
Google the term reverse charging. It's incredibly common and didn't happen to me until a year after I bought it. The watch still works but does not charge reliably. Sometimes it doesn't even turn on. Very badly designed charging cable. Way too unreliable for the price.

It's a pity, as I do like the watch but anyone considering this should buy a more reliable one. This charging problem is extremely common.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome watch to go to the next level, 10 Oct 2013
Hi,
I was running for 2 years with GF 205. Since my battery died I was looking for a replacement, I found the GF reading the reviews.
The watch is doing everything I expected. Accurate, simple in use, touchscreen works perfect and I love the possibility to program my runs and schedules. The vibration function helps a lot while training. A good an nice watch, good gear!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome watch, 24 May 2013
Works like a dream, great watch for running training. Website easy to keep track of speed and distance. Great battery life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 18 Dec 2012
I bought this product as I'm training for a half marathon.

The watch has been keeping me on track.

Using the HRM during runs and also for keeping track during spin classes at gym.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›