Style Name: with HRMColour Name: blackChange

on 14 September 2014
I bought my Garmin 610 model last year. They are definitely a watch worth buying, especially with all the training sections built in, and the software that goes with it allows you to keep tabs on your progress as you become fitter on your computer.

The only down side I found with the 610 is;
In very cloudy weather they do not seem to pick up the satellites as well and part of the route you run doesn't show up on the computer software supplied. On less cloudy days it is excellent.
Also the fact it is waterproof is brilliant for wet weather outdoor training, but :-
The back of the watch, being made of some kind of metal does corrode over a period of time. ( Mine took just over a year.) And becomes pitted due to the salt in your sweat you work up underneath the watch when you are in training. This affects the recharging prongs in a recess on the underside of the watch that the supplied cradle attaches to and eventually the watch refuses to charge until the prongs on the watch have been cleaned.
I also found that the spindles holding the watch straps on corrode into the watch strap brackets.

It would be helpful if Garmin supplied some kind of protective cradle for the watch to sit in to help prevent this all happening whilst being worn.
After all these watches are not cheap and on the up side; They are extremely good at what they do.

I know a watch isn't perfect but these points could be looked into. Hence only 4 out of 5 stars.

But I would buy another if the watch got lost or was stolen.
on 3 August 2014
Had most of the usual and well known issues: reverse charge, faded screen, strap pin dropping out, now strap snapped off, and HRM module not working. The GPS (which was the main reason I swtiched from Polar) is excrutiatingly slow. Prior to Garmin I owned a Polar watch for 8 years and the only maintenance was battery changes and one only strap change, all at local watch repairers for £5-10 at a time. Now I will have to pay £20 for a new wrist band less than three years after buying the watch which is a mediocre piece of equipment not worth the money paid for it. I see that the 620 also comes with a list of known issues. Are Garmin selling Beta watches?
on 17 August 2012
I've had the FR610 for about a year now and used it during some 2000 miles worth of running and cycling. I also have the bundled heart rate strap, Garmin foot pod and GSC-10 bike sensor (installed on tri bike).

+ Touch screen works very well, including in rain and when wearing gloves
+ Separate customisable screens for cycling and running (for cycling more than 2 items per screen makes it hard to see, for running 4 items per screen works for me)
+ Creation of custom workouts on the FR610 itself (as opposed to on PC only), great when traveling
+ Fast GPS signal catch and good lock-on, hardly ever loses signal
+ Has a 1 second GPS recording mode, which increases accuracy and creates much smoother curves around athletics tracks
+ Custom workouts are superb, e.g. interval or tempo trainings. The watch supports customised descriptions, counts down to start, etc.
+ Works well in combination with foot pod: when losing signal in tunnels or valleys, during treadmill workouts, but also for a more accurate read of immediate speed and for keeping track of running cadence. Does not eat a lot of battery life.
+ Wireless automatic data transfer and upload to Garmin Connect, also supports Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
+ Garmin Connect online software gives the runner all analysis data needed in a nice single overview
+ Watch can buzz each mile/kilometer or during customised workouts, great for keeping track of pace and heart rate when running with IPod

- Have to keep the contacts of both charger and watch clean before charging to avoid the battery depleting instead of charging (= annoying)
- Pins that attach wrist bands to the watch may occasionally come out (happened once to me)
- Not waterproof enough for swimming
- No smooth transition between running and cycling (and potentially transition), have to keep pressing reset button first to save e.g. first leg of a duathlon and then again to switch sports
- Heart rate monitor sometimes reports erratic data during first few minutes of workout (with strap contact points made wet)
- No possibility to erase erratic data (e.g. 100mph or 250bpm heart rate first seconds of a run) in Garmin Connect, which squashes the graph to included the outlier data point

The 'reverse charging' issue is somewhat annoying but imho not a dealbreaker, keep the contacts clean and it charges fine. Apart from not being waterproof enough to swim with and no possibility of running and cycling in a single workout the FR610 is terrific. I highly recommend it to demanding runners, but triathletes should look at the 910XT instead.
on 25 July 2015
I have had this watch for over a year now and i have found it to be a very bad GPS running watch. It takes an average of up to 5 minutes to get a GPS fix (i ran over half a mile once before it got a fix). The touch screen is also very disappointing, as it is very unresponsive and takes multiple attempts to unlock/bring out of sleep mode.

The screen size is very small, however the info windows are very good and are customisable. My advice would be to read reviews and shop around, staying away from this model. I have just bought a Suunto Ambit 3 as it has better reviews, will see how i goes.

Hope this helps!
on 4 July 2014
Great watch with fantastic freatures. Everything you could possibly want in a very intuative package. Its such a shame that the plastic touch screen is so poor. This scratched and cracked easily and was a real disappointment. After one replacement I returned this and bought a forerunner 10 instead which does pretty much all you could want a good GPS watch to do without the fancy touch screen. If cannot live without the additional functions that this watch delivers over the forerunner 10, get it otherwise save your money and avoid disapointment
on 11 June 2015
This thing is even more brilliant than I thought it would be. It works exactly as advertised but the accompanying web software is really excellent. It is so easy to set up specific workouts on the web and then download them to the watch (so no fiddling with the perfectly decent but tiny watch interface for doing complex things). At the current price of £129 (I guess because the colour screen 620 is now the current device at this spec) it is a giveaway. If you sometime train on a treadmill (I do) get the footpod too.
on 4 January 2012
After about 3 months of loving the watch, it has now stopped charging and gone completely blank. from looking at other forums (amazon US, and garmin users forum), it seems this is pretty common, called 'reverse charging' i.e. the watch drains when you plug it in. Now there is absolutely nothing i can do apart from send it back to Garmin, paying for postage, and wait for a new one. I wouldn't mind as much but my response from customer serive said they were 'not aware' of it being a common problem, which is nonsense!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2014
I have now had the Garmin Forerunner 610 for some 2 years and is very, very impressed with its durability and accuracy. It has tracked my runs in the tropics and sub-tropics as well as at altitude in frosty weather and has always delivered.

I can recommend the Garmin Forerunner 610 to anyone who intends to track any outdoor pursuit and who wants ease of use and durability.
on 13 May 2014
I had been using a previous Garmin for many years until I accidentally put it in the wash. When reading a few reviews about the 610 my only concern was the effects of water and the touch screen. However I live in County Durham and used to wet weather in the North East. However I haven't experienced any problems with the watch yet. Completely love this watch.
on 9 June 2013
After hours of trying to find the perfect trail running watch, I managed to stumble on a review in my trail running magazine and other reviews online pointing towards the ultimate watch for trail running, the Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS!!!! I was originally looking at the Garmin 405 GPS, but there were many negative reviews on the product and I also found that whenever problems the 405 watch encountered, improvements were made on the 605 watch. The price was reasonable, considering I saved over £100 and purchased an excellent product.

Ever since I started running with my first Garmin 610 GPS watch, it has helped me to improve my running, by increasing my speed and allowing me to run a greater distance. Plus giving me the ability to venture out on a variety of runs in the wild and the watch guides me back to my starting point if I get lost.