Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

on 27 December 2011
I received this as a gift (it's what I wanted). It's a difficult item to rate as it does not use flash tubes so in the end I opted for three stars.

The best thing about it is the price. It costs a fraction of the price of a Canon ringflash. At short range the light it provides is bright, even and there are no harsh shadows . There are several modes: constant light; flash; right flash; left flash; exposure compensation from -1.5 to +1.5 and a pre-flash to test the brightness for flash mode. The flash is a bonus as other similarly priced products are merely ring lights and do not flash. However, the unit does not contain flash tubes and uses LED bulbs so the usable range is far less than that of a true flash and falls off more dramatically than conventional flash with increased distance from the subject. Remember to set your white balance manually or to use "flash" from the presets. AWB did not always give accurate results. I found that shooting in raw then adjusting the colour temperature in the conversion software (DPP in my case) gave the best results. If you have dial in settings on your camera the 5500k quoted is reasonably accurate though occasionally I find 6000k reproduces colour more accurately.

Don't bother with the instruction booklet; it's very amusing (probably typed into a internet translation program) but it makes little sense. Play around with the settings and the camera. It helps if you understand metering. I can imagine that trying to get this right if you don't know what you are doing could be very frustrating and lead to you writing off the flash as a dud. It takes work to get the shots right but after an initial twenty minutes of fiddling about when I first opened the box I can now get the exposure right more or less immediately at each use as long as I manually meter the exposure. At close proximity to the subject the power of the flash/light is stronger than you might imagine so at first I found I was over exposing). If you need precise results immediately then this unit probably isn't for you. With portraits I found that the shadows are not totally eliminated if the background isn't separately lit but the shadow is a mere soft halo; no harsh dark shadows. The brightness might cause the subject to squint a bit though. I prefer using this flash for macro work.

Unfortunately the unit is NOT compatible with the flash menu on my Canon 550D, in other words TTL metering is not available and you can't set a precise flash sync speed (flash is set at 1/100 sec whilst the camera's standard setting is 1/200 sec). Before you stop reading this and dismiss the flash unit I would say that an external light meter has worked wonders to get some very acceptable results. If you want to use the flash rather than the light switch the light on, meter the exposure, turn off the light and switch on the flash. Take a shot. If the results aren't quite right then fine tune using the exposure compensation on the flash unit and/or your camera. I don't possess a light meter but I downloaded a light meter app onto my phone which serves the purpose, saves further expense and uses something I always carry with me. I was surprised no one had reviewed this product - perhaps prospective purchasers have been put off by the low price thinking that at that price the product is probably very poor. The build quality is what you would expect for the money but it's okay, it's quite sturdy. The flash fits onto the hotshoe quite snugly so I find I don't need to use the built-in screw on the flash unit to hold it fast and care is need when removing the flash from the camera as rough handling might snap off the battery compartment leaving the base in the hot shoe but, as with anything, you just need to be careful. One downside - there is no tripod fitting if you want to use this off camera - but then, why would you?

In summary I am very happy with the product. Is it worth more money? Probably not, although I think it's good value at under £25 including postage. It does what I want. Yes, I would like the real thing but it just wasn't an option. If I were to rate this compared to a Canon flash unit this one would probably only receive one star but I've tried to review it for what it is rather than a direct comparison with a Canon product so I've given it three stars and was debating four stars but beginners/the inexperienced might struggle to get the best from this flash so settled on three.
review image review image review image review image
55 comments|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2012
Got this for my Fuji HS20 exr. So far so good.Works off the HS20 hotshoe with no problems. Exposure compensation on both light and flash. Flash works either as full, or left or right halves. Light only works on full, no split but as mentioned the strength of the light can be adjusted.

As others have stated it's not flash tubes, it's LED so it's not as bright as a proper flash and as such it's only really effective for close up work but it is bright so it does have some effect over small distances. Because it doesn't have the strength of flash tubes it won't trigger other flashes optically but I've found a reverse work around and that is to attach a minicell slave unit to it so a flash will trigger it optically. My yongnuo CTR-301P triggers it and I picked up a minicell unit from Jessops today and that triggers it too.

I'm still experimenting in macro with it and the split flash is a nice touch. Looking forward to trying some beauty shots.

IT comes with a good range of adapters but I'm not a big fan of plastic threads so just to be safe I'm attaching it at the moment with a cheapo 67mm step-up ring to my lens rather than to the FUJI's 58mm thread directly.

It has a pilot button, mode button for changing between full flash and split flash, light button for switching between light and flash, on/off and power up/down buttons. There is a 'set' button but I'm at a loss as to what this does. So far, nothing, seems to be the answer.

For the price this is a great introduction to ring flash photography. It certainly looks the part. I've only given it 4 stars simply because it's LED and not flash tubes but for what it is and the price it's the best available and quite a versatile little unit. Really glad I got it.
66 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 August 2015
Fantastic! I'm a professional photographer but wanted a ring flash to play with before dropping huge money on a proper one; objectively, yeah, the build quality is poor and the control is very basic (-1.5 to +1.5EV), but it does exactly what it says it will and provides good even light. Highly recommended for anyone wondering if a ring flash would be a good fit for them before dropping on a fortune on a higher quality one. Sample pic attached, Canon 1D Mark IV, 24 f/1.4 L II. 1/200, f/5.6, ISO 1250
review image
on 18 February 2012
At the price I paid it was a shot to nothing. The unit although flimsy is very useable and with care should last for sometime. It seems to have a flash option which is more than the competitor units. Playing with flash compensation is essential to get the best from the unit, but thats the fun of photography. My use is flower photography and so far I am pleased with the results.
on 1 June 2012
I bought one of these flashrings as it was so cheap, basically to use with my Canon systen but also with my Panasonic SD900 camcorder.
The flashring works well with both camera systems. I had to buy for under £5 a 46mm to 52mm step-up ring to make the light fit onto the Panasonic.
The light work well in filming portraits and macro subjects and the flash works on my Canon with it's hot shoe.
All in all, this must be one of the bargains of the year.
£20!!!!!!!! Cheap as chips.

Jeff
on 11 January 2012
This Macro flash is brilliant light and compact and though the Instructions are comical in there mistranslation is very easy to set up and use ,and the range of control and effects achievable are good compared to the bulky and many times more expensive major Brands , Ive had several Neewer products and have found them to be very good ,
Once off the camera he whole set up will easily store ,
One thing I found is when placing the control box on the hot shoe it was very tight , so I had careful trimmed a little of the sides that slide into the Hot shoe runners and problem sorted you can easily tighten it with the wheel tensioner , Also there is a comprehensive number of size rings and leaving the one your using on the lens doesnt interfere and spares the plastic thread if the step up and down rings were metal this ring flash would be almost perfect ,
VINE VOICEon 7 April 2014
If you are in the market for a Ring Flash then look no further.

Features left or right bias, variable flash strength, constant light for video and takes 4 AAA batteries which could be rechargeable ones. it's light, connects easy, comes with a decent range of lens adaptors in the most common sizes.

So far, I've used it on my Canon EOS with success but have fixed it to my Panasonic Lumix FZ150 "bridge", which is ideal for quick close-ups of bugs, flower heads and other small things, due to it's zoom & macro functions.

The item took two weeks to arrive, which is very good considering it comes from the far east. Better still it costs around £23 which is inclusive of postage and packaging; compared to Nikon or Canon gear represents outstanding value!
on 5 August 2012
This is a super bit of equipment I purchased it for my new Panasonic FZ150 it works like a dream it has a quick attach system, it makes macro pictures come alive, normally as you stoop over the item you want to photograph you cut out the light, the light ring make the item visible again. You can substitute this for your cameras flash, but if you do a slave flash will not work with it. This item is an important addition to any camera attachment bag. Ignore Made for Canon, it comes with eight sizes of attachment rings, I just purchased a 43 to 52 Step Up Filter Ring Setting Adapter to connect it to my Macro lens. It can be found for different cameras but priced higher, this is the one to get.
on 18 February 2012
When seeing the costs of the more high key macro flash rings it's a bit offputting when it passes £100... I've wanted one for ages and finally decided to take a risk and get the 'bugdet' flash to tide me over... But I doubt there will be any replacements or upgrades needed. This Flash does everything I can imagine ever wanting it to do, with a permenant light function, control of the flash strength and control of left or right flash functions. I LOVE IT. 4 AA batteries required with it that are not included to remember to get some! *****
on 11 December 2012
This item puts the £350 macro lights to shame - excellent product, good lighting, great control and overall an amazing bargain - how can the other brands charge so much! [...]