5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, reliable
Published on 9 Jun 2012 by Yambaru

2.0 out of 5 stars Daisy chain won't work!
Published 8 months ago by IvanC

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, reliable, 9 Jun 2012
This review is from: Freecom 56066 1TB Quattro eSATA/FireWire800/USB 3.0 3.5 Inch External Hard Drive (Personal Computers)
I bought a 1 TB Freecom Quattro desktop hard drive from Amazon Japan while living in Japan. It is not only an attractively designed product with its mat aluminium casing, it is quiet (its efficiency at dissipating heat means a fan is not required) and has been completely reliable since I began using it in November 2009. It is almost silent with only the occasional click or whir.

On returning to the UK I bought another one. The Quattro also has Firewire ports which is ideal for my Apple iMac and MacBook. And the brushed aluminium finish is a fine match for my Apple computers - of course the appearance isn't important but it's a nice bonus.

Freecom customer service also proved excellent when I enquired about availability of a UK plug adaptor for the AC power supply adaptor (for the Quattro I bought in Japan). Freecom resolved my query by sending me a new AC power supply adaptor free of charge (they retail for around 13).

I've also bought a light magnesium-cased Freecom 750 GB Mobile Drive Mg with Firewire and USB 3 which I have also been very pleased with.

5.0 out of 5 stars A silent, fast drive with lots of connection options, however perhaps expensive if you can't use the fastest, 4 May 2012
There are a great many external hard drives on the market and many have USB 2 interfaces. this is fine if you are using them to store photos, mp3s etc but not so great if you have a lot of data - such as holiday videos - to move around. USB 2 is just too slow.

Freecom make this drive in several capacities, 500GB 1,2 and 3 TB. This review is for the 2 TB drive.

At 2TB(ish see below) this drive is near the top end of those currently (as of May 2012) available and has a surprising number of connection options: USB 3, eSATA, Firewire 800 (two ports) and Firewire 400. You can daisy chain firewire devices together so the addition of a 2nd 800 port is a nice touch.

The drive comes with all the cables you could possibly need to connect it, although the USB 3 one is rather short, perhaps this is normal - I'm not sure, so you'll need to site the drive close to your computer for USB 3.

Although it states it's a 2 TB drive, you actually get 1.8 TB once it's formatted. That's still a lot, but I do wish that manufacturer's would play fair and state a more accurate capacity. As mentioned by another reviewer it comes formatted as FAT32 - which restricts the largest file size to 4gb - so you will need to reformat if you want to save larger files. The manuals, a copy of NeroBackItUp, Freecom's own format utility (you don't need this, windows format works but it appears to give a slight increase in capacity over Microsoft) and a utility that allows the drive to spin down after a time when not in use are actually on the drive so copy these somewhere else before you format.

It's a fanless unit and in use is almost silent, there is no access noise and an almost nonexistent hum from the spindle motor. The very robust casing only gets slightly warm to touch and it looks a very well made piece of kit. There is even an on/off switch on the back. Looks are let down somewhat by the standard grotty power adaptor and the rather thin power cable. Its OK but I would have preferred the cable to be thicker to cut down on the chances of it getting damaged.

It's a fast drive, though this depends on how you connect it to your computer. I have a PC with USB 2,3, eSata and firewire as I do a lot of video work. The drive's box states that USB 3 is the fastest way of connecting, but I didn't find this.

I copied a 25 Gb directory of videos and jpg pictures from the PC to the drive though the various options and found the eSata to be the fastest with peek of 105MB a second for large files dropping to 74 for small ones. The other connection options came out as below

USB 3 - peak 80MBs dropping to 57 for small files
Firewire 800 - peak 60Mbs dropping to 44
USB 2 - peak 42MBs dropping to 27.

The firewire 800 speed was a pleasant surprise as firewire on windows 7 is notoriously flaky requiring various techie tweaks to get it to behave. As a comparison copying the same data internal sata to internal sata peaked at 115MBs, dropping to 98.

So to round up. It's fast, silent, has a great capacity and has a lot of connection options, recommended if your computer can use the faster interfaces but not if you only have USB2 there are cheaper USB 2 drives available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the price., 24 Mar 2012
I've been a loyal customer of Freecom for years. My first external harddrive was a Freecom harddrive, my second was of another intentionally unnamed company and it died on me within weeks. Coincidence? Perhaps, but whatever it was, I haven't strayed from Freecom since.

I've had one Freecom harddrive die on me, and it was my own fault, I dropped it down some stairs.

My point is, that even if Freecom harddrives in general seem a bit more expensive than some of their competitors, the quality of product is well worth that price.

As for this specific harddrive, the multiple options for connection are invaluable to me. I have all of them on my Desktop, so if I ever lose a cable I can always find another way to connect them, and for my other computers the good ol' (yet updated to 3.0) USB connection serves me well.

It has withstood the occasional, accidental drop and bump, as well as some rigorous read/write activities.

I have seen no since of fault as of yet, and I have full trust that I won't for years to come.

I fully recommend this harddrive, save up if you have to, because it's worth it in the long run.

2.0 out of 5 stars Daisy chain won't work!, 16 Dec 2013
I bought 2 x 3TB of these babies to store and backup video files for work, but I can't utilise the FW800 daisy chain backup option, because every time I connect the second drive, not only it ejects the first one, but my mac won't read them again until I restart the computer, so the only way I can work this system is not by daisy chaining the drives, but by using one disk on the FW800 and one on a USB2 on my macbook pro. Which means losing time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, 13 July 2013
Easy to set up, quiet and lots of connection options (complete with cables).
Recent price drop made this an attractive purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've ever had, 29 May 2013
P. Duffy (UK) - See all my reviews
...and I've had a few, including some better-known makes from the shelves of the Apple Store. If this thing is going to sit on your desk it needs to be as silent as possible (especially if you use a silent computer such as an iMac). Freecom is one of the few manufacturers that recognises this. Don't be put off by the slightly naff name; this is a piece of top quality German engineering. The Apple Store should promote them over some of the other rubbish they push. I've had mine for over 3 years, throughout which it has worked faultlessly and silently with Time Machine Backup. I have used it successfully to restore my computer's hard drive contents on at least 3 occasions, so it's no exaggeration to say it's been a life-saver, which gives me great peace of mind. I can't remember whether I had to format it or not since, if you do, it's such an insignificant task (why such a big deal to some people?). I've just been taking another look at the choices out there as my wife needs an external drive for her backups. Yes, it's still the best buy (especially the 2TB version at under a tenner more than the 1TB), so she's ordering one as I write. Any caveats at all? Well, one tiny one: The white activity light is dazzlingly bright - the perfect place to stick one of those Apple stickers that you never know what to do with!

3.0 out of 5 stars You may need to reformat it, 3 Nov 2011
It linked well using a usb 3 connector - all the leads were included - I have windows 7 64 bit and it connected ok.
When you have it installed and turn the computer back on next day it doesn't auto connect and show in 'my computer'. I have to disconnect its lead and reconnect - then it loads. Possibly I can make some adjustment in windows to get it to connect as I turn on the system but I havn't worked that out. The windows 7 'back up' system works and a file was produced on the drive taking about an hour (I have 1T of data on an i7 and 8meg ram).I tried to copy over some large files but it would not take them - I had seen this before and realised the Freecom drive was formated as FAT32 so it links with mac or windows - trouble is FAT32 has a 4gig limit on the file sizes that you can copy, and my movie files are bigger than that. So I copied the software that comes on the drive to my desktop - following the instructions in the manual (in the software) I reformatted the whole drive to NTFS so now the file copy size is unlimited although I only want it for windows. I put the sofware back on the drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended. Small FW quirk., 28 May 2014
Works very well - would recommend for the range of connection options and nice design. My only niggle is that the blue light is surprisingly bright and stays on even when the drive has spun down. Easily fixed with a blob of bluetac though!

IIRC I connected by USB first to format it and then by FW800 since then as it didn't play ball initially otherwise with FW. In particular the setup software that comes with it didn't seem to like the FW800 connection, but actually you don't need any of that stuff and can easily set up through the OS. Don't be put off by this quirk. I read up on some forums about a firmware update for it - available on the freecom website - but that wasn't necessary in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Item, 20 Feb 2014
First rate item, arrived promptly, connection was straight forward to the SATA socket. Software installation was trouble free, overall very please with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars brill, 11 Feb 2014
i always buy freecom now, others dont match up to the quality and reliability of freecom.i have no hesitation recommending this product.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›