on 8 May 2012
Bought these as a Christmas present that my husband knew all about. He wanted some minimalist shoes for running off-road and these fitted the bill. First off I must say that although we had ordered size 45, the pair that arrived were 44's, and they fitted perfectly so no problem, lucky really!
The shoes have now done about 170 off-road miles and my husband has only two gripes: 1) There isn't really enough grip for true off-road running especially in wet, boggy Scotland and 2) the upper isn't protected close to the sole around the sides of the foot and heather and bracken take their toll on the soft mesh like material.
On the positive side they are supremely comfortable, nice wide toe box, they fit like...well, like a glove and apparently don't come off even when shin-deep in bog! He reckons they would be alright for road-running, but not great. The other plus, is apparently the amount of feedback that he gets through the sole of these shoes plus they're grippy on rock, grass and good trails and tracks, i.e. forestry trails and tracks etc. Oh, they drain really well when running through rivers...apparently!

Not for fell or hill running but great for proper tracks and trails.
on 2 November 2012
I am a big fan of the Merrell Trail Glove. I own the New Balance Minimus, Vibram Five Fingers Sport and these. I tend to run barefoot 50% of the time and alternate between the Vibram's and Merrell's for the rest. Although the Minimus is a great shoe, it does have a more padded sole and the 4mm heel raise is noticeable, they just don't provide the same amount of sensory feedback.

As winter starts to close its icy grip I imagine I will be running more and more shod, and I suspect most of these runs will be done in the Merrell's. Over the last few months I have run more and more in the Merrell's. The zero heel raise, thin sole and huge toes box have been put together brilliantly. I notice very little difference between these then the five fingers. But they are considerably more comfortable. The interior of the shoe is wonderful and the more you run the more comfortable you feel in them. As with all minimal foot ware I would not run in these full time because being barefoot ensures I keep my form and allow me to run well when I put shoes on. The Merrell's are great for the longer runs or when I just don't feel like being barefoot. They excel on the rough stuff, are super grippy and really allow you to go where sometimes you just can't go barefoot comfortably.

I am a Euro 44 and ordered the UK size 10.

Buy them you won't regret it.
on 5 May 2013
I was delighted to get this shoe, and in the first tryout appreciated the 'glovelike' feel and the light, forefooty design. Unfortunately the 'glove' feel rapidly became foot strangulation. Reviewers elsewhere have noted the possible tendency to squeeze the top of the foot - i felt like my entire forefoot was being scrunched. Which was bizarre, as further to the front is a lovely wide toe box. Genuinely hurt, and my feet stared at me resentfully for hours afterwards. There was no mercy for my broad forefoot. Went up a size and the shoe was too long and still uncomfortable. I had to give the whole thing up and go back to trusty vivo barefoots.

I have gone for three stars, as the shoe is clearly great in some ways (5*) and will be wholly unwearable by a certain percentage of the population (1* for me). A bit strange as generally minimalist footwear leads, if anything, to the broadening of feet as they strengthen. If you have a narrower foot, this one still could work well for you.
on 11 November 2012
I bought a pair if Trail Gloves while 'browsing' the Merrell store in San Francisco. I've owned a pair of Merrell cross trainers for 5 years and always have a look through their catalogue as they are the only trainers I've ever had that just keep going and hang together so well. I saw the Trail Gloves and actually thought that they were climbing shoes but the assistant explained that they were barefoot running shoes. I had never run in my life but really liked the look and feeling on my feet and bought a pair. I've had them for a couple of years now and 12 months ago was roped into an adventure race while being over boisterousness at the pub one night ("hell yeah, I can do that!") so decided that I probably needed to do a bit of running so as not to let the team down completely. I duly went out and bought two pairs of Asics running shoes, ran 4 x 5km races and 1 x 10km race and ended up not being able to walk for two weeks due to knee injuries. After a couple of weeks in bed I decided to try the Trail Gloves as I had some time to browse the interweb and identified that perhaps these padded shoes and my non-existent running form could be corrected by strengthening my feet and calves. I've now run 6 more 5km races and two 10km races with about 200km of training under my belt and am injury free (touch wood).

These are great running shoes, simple. They help to develop a good running form, build the right muscles and in dryish conditions are fast and responsive. They are very well made and while they do let the water in they also let it our again and I have not found them to be too squelchy at all. The seams are all hidden so you can run without socks and not get any blistering. In the wet their grip is pretty poor though, they tend to slide all over the place and just can't find any decent grip but I'm not sure that there are to many trail shoes that can really stop a bit of sliding in the good old British winter mud.

In short (sorry I know this has gone on a bit) they are great shoes and well worth it.
on 18 April 2013
Been running in them for a while now over some really tough rocky terrain. They provide great grip and they are very durable as they have hardly a scuff on them yet. They fit nicely and are light, but they provide plenty of protection for your feet in the right areas, encouraging you to run properly.

Highly recommended.
on 27 June 2012
Merrel Glove shoes seem to get a lot of reviews about sizing, both on Amazon and on their own site. It seems a 50/50 split between those who say they stay the same size as their normal running shoes, and those that need a full size larger. I usually run in size 8 (8 1/2 for some styles). I therefore ordered a size 8 1/2. On arrival I found they were a good 1/2 inch (15mm) too long. Oddly though they are a bit too small across the top of the foot.

Living nowhere near London or any other major city there is no way for me to try on the various types of 'barefoot' shoes without a long and expensive day out. I therefore decided to take the chance and order off line. No big deal as these things can be returned. But, as the fit of barefoot shoes is so important, it goes to prove that unless you are lucky you really do need to go round all the different stockists of the various brands before you find the ones that fit.
on 7 July 2013
These are my second pair of Merrell's I just love the feel and lightness of these trainers - I would ware them all day every day if I could!
on 25 October 2013
Very light and extremely grippy, especially in the gym. I must say though, I read a review that someone advised ordering 1/2 a size up. I didn't, and now regret it! They are a snug fit, bordering toe stubbing, so good for running but can be a bit irritable going down hill.
on 16 June 2013
I've done around 300 miles in these shoes now and they're holding up brilliantly well.

They're great for tracks/trails, and do the job on roads. I've done an off road 20 mile race in these, and plan to do an on-road marathon in them.

They have a few really good design features like the laces being laced to the tongue rather than the shoe - really makes a difference! No tongue slippage.

Also they can be machine washed! Perfect shoe. I'll be buying them again to replace the pair I have now.
on 15 August 2013
I should preface this review with these are my first pair of trail running shoes, after a lifetime of normal, albeit good quality, road running shoes.

That said, they're ace! So much lighter than any shoes I've worn before.

I was a little concerned as I was putting them on, because the initial feeling was that they seemed like they would be too small. But once they were on they fit like gloves.

From the running perspective I felt much safer off road than with normal trainers because they were lower to the ground so the chances of turning an ankle seem much reduced.
I can feel the terrain under my feet as well which adds to the feeling of security wearing them.

Have used them for a few mud runs and assault course events. They dont hold the water in, so dont get heavy, and are snug enough on your feet that you dont feel they are going to come off in the slurpier muddy parts either.

Im really pleased, they have been a great buy