5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, and real
I had never heard of this author or book prior to deciding to buy it, but it was a risk that was richly rewarded.

Published on 13 Dec. 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really my cup of tea... well ...
Not really my cup of tea...well written, but the author spends way too much time explaining the background to the story instead of telling the story itself, as if he was asked to 'pad it out'. Shame.
Published 8 months ago by Ms Kerry Anne Loadsman

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, and real, 13 Dec. 2011
This review is from: To Be Sung Underwater (Kindle Edition)

I agree with the other reviewers who praised this novel so highly. When I first began reading I wasn't sure that the writing style would be to my taste, it had something of the historical voice to it which I don't really enjoy. But that feeling disappeared soon enough and I began to enjoy the writing when the background to the story had been established and the main characters introduced.

Anyhow, To Be Sung Underwater is so beautifully written and wonderfully realised that I don't hesitate in recommending it. The story is gentle, reflective and poignant; the writing evocative and the flip between the present and the past is not distracting or contrived as in some novels, it works to enhance your appreciation of events in the book a lot.

One of the other great things about this novel, I felt, was the lack of explanation. Often in books everything is given, nothing is left unsaid, no question left unanswered, but in this book Tom McNeal resists the temptation to give you all the answers to the questions he sets, which I think added so much.

I am fairly certain I will revisit this book again; though I rarely reread novels I think that this quiet beauty will probably draw me in again. I totally recommend it if you are looking for something that is understated and deeply resonant of the lives of real people.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best read in a long time, 11 July 2011
This review is from: To Be Sung Underwater (Paperback)
Set in Rufus Sage, Nebraska, Judith Whitman meets the young carpenter Willy Blunt. Willy Blunt has the eyes and smile to make the heart melt and a smell unique only to him. They spend a long and idle summer retreating to places of solitude to idle away time and get to know each other.

Probably the most exceptional piece of writing I have had the pleasure to read in a long, long time. On a par with Ian McEwan's Enduring Love. The authors knack with words and description is staggering and leaves you knowing the characters so well you are totally taken in by the book and transported to Nebraska where sights and smells are almost there in the room with you.

A story of a real first true love which suddenly ends and then is revisited 20 years later. Memories, thoughts and inner passions are rekindled but heartbreakingly so.

A book to take on holiday this summer, you wont want to put it down. A truly wonderful read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A simply wonderful read, 5 Aug. 2012
T. Ljubic-Brown (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Be Sung Underwater (Paperback)
Right at the beginning of the book I was not entirely sure whether I would like it, I had never heard of the author and to be totally honest picked it up in a 3 for 2 deal as the third book. So very glad I did! The story really captivated me, transporting me back in time to Nebraska and Judith's youth. A poignant story of "what if's" and the different paths we take in life when standing at crossroads that a lot of people can relate to. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars To Be Sung Underwater, 18 Sept. 2012
This review is from: To Be Sung Underwater (Kindle Edition)
I found this a very moving yet gripping novel. The various relationships; husband/wife, lovers, father/daughter were all very convincing. Highly recommended reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars to be sung under water, 21 July 2012
This review is from: To Be Sung Underwater (Paperback)
I write to ensure that this book earns five stars and is read by many others. I have just finished it and entirely agree with the detailed review written by S A Edwards.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 15 May 2014
jackie greenwood (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Be Sung Underwater (Paperback)
I loved this book. Not really into soppy stories but this was a really great read. Going to read it again immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary read, 30 Oct. 2011
This review is from: To Be Sung Underwater (Paperback)
This is such a good read and amazingly well written. It tells the tale of first love and what I cannot get over is that such a sensitive portrayal was written by a man! It made me feel I was actually in Nebraska with them such was the descriptive writing. I didn't want to finish it and it was some while before I picked up another book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 3 Dec. 2014
This review is from: To Be Sung Underwater (Kindle Edition)
I was surprised to get so involved with the characters so early on and to feel part of the story myself. The writing is so good that every character feels very real. I read the last third of the book in one sitting as I wanted to see the story through to the end and couldn't put it down.
A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars To be sung underwater, 22 Jan. 2014
This review is from: To Be Sung Underwater (Kindle Edition)
I did find it a little slow to start with but once I got into it I loved it and did not want to stop reading at night. It was a lovely love story between Judith and Willy. It did get very sad at the end and I did shed a tear or too but really enjoyed it. Hope my next purchase will be as enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, 18 Nov. 2013
This review is from: To Be Sung Underwater (Kindle Edition)
Found this such an interesting book that I couldn't put it down. I was totally absorbed with the two main characters and found the way that their story interweaves was so poignant. Very well written

To Be Sung Underwater