5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Narrative of the Powder Treason
For those among you who have read other historical narratives by Antonia Fraser you will know that her depth of research and story telling skills are beyond reproach. And so it is with this book.
The book outlines not only the details of the conspiracy itself but also sets the scene by explaining the very real persecution that catholics were exposed to in the last...
Published on 26 Nov 2005 by Mr. Peter A. Green

3.0 out of 5 stars History is written by the winners
. . . and the version of the Tudor period told to Catholic children differs from the version taught in state schools. To the majority of us, Elizabeth was the golden queen who held the balance of power for 40 years, redeeming the bloodbath of her sister's reign with mercy and temperance, and saving us from the terrors of the Inquisition as carried in the holds of the...
Published 23 months ago by Peasant

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Did I miss something?, 6 April 2010
I certainly agree with everyone about how brilliant Antonia Fraser is and I think I may have missed something. I was interested to know about the Crown and Cushion Coaching Inn in Chipping Norton where Robert Catesby had a house nearby. The Tourist Board information is that they hatched the Gunpowder plot at the Inn (where their ghosts are still to be seen?!) I could not find this in the narrative but I did not read very closely so it is probably my mistake. Did anyone else come across it? The Inn is still there so it is quite historic sitting there thinking they were there but were they? If she does not mention it does that mean it is not true the plot was hatched there, or does she say so, and I missed it through not reading thoroughly enough? Can anyone help?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›