5.0 out of 5 stars Education - Our Children - Their Futures - Our Future, 21 Feb 2010
This is an important and accessible read for all educators and parents today. What Gerver achieved at Grange in making the curriculum relevant and exciting is inspirational. Changes so badly needed in the primary and secondary sectors to ensure that children are not disillusioned but thrilled by education have been a long time coming. This book goes a long way towards helping those of us who are committed to a productive and fulfilling life for our children.

5.0 out of 5 stars best of its kind, 20 Jan 2010
An exceptional read! Richard Gerver manages to take a serious and potentially heavy subject (the schooling of our children!) and produce something that's totally readable and, dare I say, enjoyable! His USP is that he isn't an academic or theorest on the subject, he has a proven track record as a head teacher. He's hands on. Anyone who has turned around a failing school instantly gains my utmost respect! You end up agreeing with just about everything he says, because it's just plain common sense (but not common practice). The chapter on making school like Disneyland is awesome. Richard also manages to squeeze some humour in as well as a few well-chosen anecdotes that help bring the subject matter to life

Top marks. Will someone in a senior government position please take note

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!!, 9 Nov 2011
Periandros (Lleida, Spain) - See all my reviews
Very useful and straight to the point with all subjects indexed. It gives another perspective to education. I Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great vision for 21st century education, 24 May 2011
Totally inspiring! As a primary teacher with even half a brain, it is obvious to me that much of today's education system is failing our children. A 19th century system cannot cope with today's society and is even bad for our children. Richard Gerver has a wealth of experience under his belt and the vision and determination to implement a curriculum experience that is adaptable, rich and will equip our future generations for their futures, and the futures of those that follow. He shows that with determination and the strength of leadership to deflect the pressures of centralised authority, substantial changes can be made. His ideas are backed up by research from the likes of Sir Ken Robunson and others, and his own practical experience as a headteacher. A must for all those who feel disillusioned with education today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical suggestions for transforming education, 4 April 2013
Nicholas J. Kafka (London) - See all my reviews
I don't really write reviews but I felt compelled to for this book.

Everyone talks about the needs to improve schools, some about transforming education, many with wonderful theories about how this might be done - Richard Gerver lays out a very clear case study of how this can be done based on how he did it at Grange School.

From creating Grangeton their own functioning town within the school run by the pupils, to Grange University (an elective module-based multi-grade learning experience), it's incredible to see how a Primary can be run so differently despite working within the (UK) National Curriculum.

I love Ken Robinson for his vision (& humour!), but if you care about the future of our schools and are longing for practical inspiration on what they should be doing today, this is the book to buy - only regret is I wish the case study part of it was longer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing throughout !, 2 Mar 2010
This is the first 'educational' book I have read that has gripped me like a novel. Its an amazing read and a real page turner. Every leader should read this and its timing is fantastic as schools begin to think about the new national currciulum. This is a chance for us all to make a difference and with Richard's guidance ( and a little of Andy Cope's 2%ness) it could really be achieved. Thank you Richard for giving a young, and at times, slightly naive, headteacher hope that the furture can be different. Everyone , including Government, needs to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Visionary and Do-ability Combined, 6 April 2010
Mr. William Thomas (England) - See all my reviews
I love this book. Richard Gerver has done what so many books of this nature don't do, he has managed to inspire a vision for education and learning that you can actually realise on the ground. With his down to earth examples combined with his passionate advocacy of real education, he provides a way forward for a new landscape in education, that headteachers, deputies and governors of any phase, simply must have on their reading list. A delightful read, full of rich learning, great ideas and visionary possibilities. Highly, highly recommend it.
Will Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY inspiring!, 9 Sep 2013
This is my second copy as my last one I lent to someone and it went missing. I have read and refered to this book so many times. Sir Ken Robinson is fanastic. Also would recommend his talk 'Educating from the ground up'. Watch for any teachers at a loss with the Gov. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 27 Aug 2013
K. T. Like "KT.Like" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creating Tomorrow's Schools Today: Education - Our Children - Their Futures (Kindle Edition)
I read this book as look at our current educational system and knowing it does not work and is failing many children. I read academic books for my studies but this one I enjoyed reading and couldn't put down

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential read for any educator, 11 Feb 2013
Are you interested in making education better? Yes? Then this really is essential reading. Richard Gerver's pioneering vision for education spells out the tangible changes that are needed to radically reform our education system for the better. What's more, he's already implemented these changes successfully in a school therefore providing a realistic path for other educators to follow...