4.0 out of 5 stars A sign of things to come?
Yet another brilliantly written book by Herbert. Once again his focus is on the future mankind may bring upon itself by it's blatant disregard for the world we live in. After thousands of years of mankind's abuse of mother earth, she finally rebells. Yet even mother earth is reluctant to rid itself of it's torturers completely; there are a selected few who are shown...
Published on 15 Sept. 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of Herbert's better novels
No, Chris Hall, you are not alone in giving this two stars. This novel was originally published in 1992 and, to me, reads like it. Had I read it at the time I might have found it better than I did but, having read many other books containing an end of the world as we know it scenario, it felt decidedly lame. Which is a great shame as James Herbert is very good at...
Published on 11 Feb. 2009 by R. Griffiths

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Future is .........., 5 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Portent (Hardcover)
An outstanding book. A look into a very possible future -- with a twist. The world is undergoing a change - and this could be for the good or for the bad. As usual we have the James Herbert reluctant hero.
A book you can't put down. One I have read time and again and one that is probably my favourite from my James Herbert collection.
By No means a disappointment - OUTSTANDING

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as Good As I Hoped......., 9 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Portent (Paperback)
I loved James Herberts books and now that he is gone he will be missed a lot,he was a very good writer and I have all but one of his books now,this is the book I bought and gave away as I just didnt want to finish it,not because of the plot,which was good but the characters in it,they didnt seem real as they did in all his other books,and some of them were also very annoying too,it could just be me though as others appear to really like it,I also think it would have been far better if it had been another Ash book,, but others might disagree as we all have different tastes in books......

4.0 out of 5 stars portent, 19 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Portent (Kindle Edition)
A good read. Disaster after disaster effecting the world. Basically, good against evil in a chaotic world that's coming to an end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Especially scary given todays news, 19 Jan. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Portent (Paperback)
I started reading this book just before the sri lanka disaster. As Herberts work maybe not one of his best but chilling when read in light of the horrific events which happened over Boxing day.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, But I Just Don't Get It, 14 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Portent (Paperback)
I'll say upfront that I'm not a "new age" type of person. I've read a fair amount of Herbert, and the last thing I expected was for him to take a turn to the airy fairy. But there you go, always a surprise along the way.....

Yes it's quite well written, but then, Herbert is a consummate professional. That doesn't mean what he's writing is worthy of anyones time - and this book most certainly ISN'T worth anyones time. Just my point of view (don't know anyone else for theirs!)

Let the children save the world, we're all part of Mother Earth, and of course, there's an evil black woman who's part voodoo queen. Or something.

As I write this there are two 2-star reviews. Everyone else seemed to love the work. Well good for those that liked it. For me though, those 2-star reviews are/were too generous. I'm not sure how I finished this nonsense. It was that bad. But I kept hoping something would happen that wouod make things well. It didn't.

Not totally dissimilar to Dean Koontz' "The Taking" actually. I hated that too.

If nothing else let this review act as some counter-balance to the praise surrounding it. This is not a horror novel, it's not even a very good idea. I'm glad I read it only so I could make up my own mind. If I had had an inkling of what i ws getting into beforehand I'd never have bought the thing int he first place.

Bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 18 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Portent (Kindle Edition)
Well paced and topical considering some of the crazy weather round the world these days a good engrossing story all-around

3.0 out of 5 stars Laboured, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Portent (Kindle Edition)
I had difficulty maintaining an interest in this work. The main thrust of the story held interest. The many asides of disasters I found tedious and just slowed the pace of the unfolding events.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 19 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Portent (Kindle Edition)
I think this is a really good book James at his best again, always expect the unexpected, James keeps you on the edge of your seat with all of his books, I think most of hi books would make really good films.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dom, 18 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Portent (Kindle Edition)
Again, another excellent book by JH. Always keeps you gripped and not wanting to put the book down, he will be sorely missed as a great writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars scary!!, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Portent (Kindle Edition)
Look out the window, this is happening. An excellent book by a late great writer. Very much like todays weather.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›