1,658

VINE VOICEon 28 July 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've used a few Braun electronic toothbrushes for some time now, and this latest Triumph model is, not surprisingly, the best. It carries a hefty price tag and so at the end of the day you have to justify the cost compared to cheaper models or even how many regular manual toothbrushes you could buy over the years. But if you want sparkly clean teeth and comfort it's just about worth the money.

The toothbrush itself has five modes covering regular cleaning, sensitive, massage, deep clean and polish. It's easy to switch between these and if you are pressing too hard the brush will alert you with beeps and light up a large red light on the back that you can't really miss in your mirror. Keep pressing too hard and the brush will automatically set itself to Sensitive mode to save your poor gums.

The included Smart Guide is a bit of a gimmick, frankly. It connects to the brush wirelessly and includes a timer to show how long you have been brushing and indicators for each quadrant of your mouth to ensure they get 30 seconds each (to reach the magical dentist-approved 2 minutes brushing time).

The monitor also has icons to show which mode the toothbrush is in and warns if you are pressing too hard. You also get a star rating if you do two minutes of brushing (well done, you). It's all very clever and I admit I quite like it, but I don't think it's essential.

As my gums are rather delicate, the action of the toothbrush is important. Previous electric models I have owned have been a little too aggressive, and although different brush heads make a big difference, a smooth action on the part of the motor itself helps no end. The Triumph 5000 (although going at some rate), is surprisingly gentle, especially with a Sensitive brush head. I have found it to be very comfortable, and it's not that noisy either. I am very pleased with the level of cleaning, even without using the annoying and uncomfortable `specialised' heads (I don't think they are really going to floss that well). I just stick to standard or sensitive.

The brush takes a good while to charge, but then I usually run it down to a virtually flat battery. One charge keeps it going for nigh on the ten days promised by the box though.

This is as good as it gets for an electric toothbrush, so if you want the best and have the cash, I highly recommend it.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 23 August 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I bought the first Braun Oral-b triumph over a year ago. I had read the 'Which' review of it and I was not disappointed and it has lasted me very well, so although I have only just replaced it I have no reason to doubt that the new model will also be as reliable and longlived.

The adjustments made by Braun with this new model are small. The original had 4 brushing modes (clean, soft, massage and polish) whereas the new model has 5 (daily, sensitive, deep clean, polish and massage) I presume by clean they mean daily and by soft they mean sensitive. So actually there is only one difference, the deep clean mode. I found the deep clean did give cleaner results than the previous model and was very impressed with the cleanliness of my teeth afterward. The flossing I always do after brushing as my teeth are very close together showed there was less debri after brushing with this latest model.

Those of you not used to electric toothbrushes will need to learn not to move the brush around like with a manual toothbrush, there is no need. The brushes are readily available and the toothbrush tells you when to change them as it has an intelligent chip in it which monitors now much they are used/ time etc which I really like as I can be forgetful sometimes!

If you can afford this latest model then buy it. As this toothbrush could mean fewer trips to the dental hygienist this needs to be factored into the price. It could be especially good for those of you who smoke or do not like going to the hygienist and of course for those who want to maintain that 'just been to the hygienist' feeling and whiteness.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 20 November 2009
Update:
I've now had the brush for three years and can comment further on quality. The brush is still cleaning well so my initial concerns over the build quality were unfounded. However it now only holds a charge for c. 4 days and the power display is completely inaccurate. This is a nuisance as the brush tends to run out while cleaning your teeth without any warning.

I've also discovered that replacing the battery is very expensive. The battery is hardwired into the handle's mechanism and can only be safely replaced through Braun's service partners at a cost of £54.99 (they replace the whole handle). This is almost the cost of a new brush and seems very poor design for an expensive item. I'm now thinking of replacing it with a cheaper model where I can replace the batteries myself.

Old Review:

I've had my Triumph 5000 for 4 months and, while I'm very pleased with the cleaning action, I'm less impressed with the overall quality of the product. The display unit now continually shows the excess pressure warning regardless of what I do with the brush, and there is a build up of condensation behind the battery indicator window on the brush itself. The display unit is also unable to keep time any longer and keeps reseting itself. Should you be thinking of purchasing this, make sure that you take advantage of the free extra year's warranty on offer from Braun for registering the product.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 17 September 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been using rechargable toothbrushes now for several years, mainly Philips.

This Braun, Oral-B works well advising you when you have spent 30 seconds on a zone in your mouth.

Total brushing time is two minutes just as it was with my Philips.

Brushheads seem to be smart and can indicate on the display that the are worn out.

Also different heads cause the brushing motor to operate in different default modes.

I can get just over a weeks use out of it before the LCD starts flashing the lower segmant that it is time to charge it up.

Travel carry case also useful which I used last weekend (it has room for two brush heads).

Mains adapter is bathroom safe two pin plug and is okay in a shaver unit.

Oh, and it does a good job cleaning your teeth.
on 3 January 2012
I have had this toothbrush for just over 1 year. It was recommended by my dentist due to receeding gums, the pressure sensitive indicator was the main reason it was receommended. The pressure sensitive indicator has started to stay on permanently, just as some of the previous reviewers mentioned. It is displayed even when there is no head on the brush and also when held in mid-air.
After reading these reviews 2 weeks ago & seeing how common the problem is I decided to contact braun directly. I received an email which said that I can return my brush by freepost to a repair centre in Ireland or UK, once my brush is under 2 yrs old they will repair it for free, if more than 2 yrs they'll contact me and let me know how much to repair. So I'm quite happy with that. Proof of purchase is needed, but I have that as I bought it on amazon so its in my previous orders.
This is the email address the customer service email response came from: pg_weconsumerrelations@mailnj.custhelp.com
The addresses for repair centres are below:

Freepost RSHJ-KRSA-UHGE
Braun Product Service
Olympic Shaver Centre Ltd
PO Box 9799
Calverton
Nottingham
NG14 6WN.
Phone: 0115 965 7447

Or you can send the product to:
Braun Product Service
Olympic Shaver Centre Ltd
Dept AA1758
PO Box 6151
Freepost
Dublin 2.
Braun Oral-B Triumph 5000 5-Mode Power Toothbrush with Smart Guide
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I can think of few ways that this electric toothbrush - the top of the Braun range - could be improved upon. The toothbrush is an attractive sturdy design. It offers a number of tooth-cleaning options which can be manually set or are automatically set if the appropriate toothbrush head is attached. There are three of these - one for general cleaning, one for 'polishing' and one for massaging gums and lighter cleaning. There is also a 'deep clean' option which follows the standard cleaning option but lasts longer.

The informative wireless bluetooth linked separate display which is battery operated and should be attached to the wall close to the sink/toothbrush is exceptionally useful. When not in use it displays the time. When in use it guides the cleaning of each quadrant of the mouth and counts down the time for optimal cleaning. It also indicates cleaning mode, shows when the brush requires replacement (which is based on specific use of a specific brush) and indicates if too much pressure is being applied during cleaning.

The toothbrush comes with a useful travel box so your toothbrush will not activate in your suitcase causing with a potential security alert as a buzzing emerges from your case or the battery runs flat. The case will also hold two toothbrush heads.

There are one or two downsides. The toothbrush will hold a limited charge - 9 days of use by one person for 4 minutes a day. This is less than the previous model and won't last for a long holiday. I've found the battery life a little better but be prepared to pack the charger on holidays. The charger is light-weight but is a two-pronged affair and no three-pin adapter is included in the kit. At the price one should be. The brush also will take close to 24 hours to fully recharge. The surrounding, optional plastic toothbrush holder and stand I find is too large and am not using it. On this model less information is displayed on the brush display so when away from the bluetooth screen you get only battery information. I'd like the display to match the one for the non-bluetooth model. Finally, the Amazon description says four toothbrush heads are included. In fact only three are - one of each type. For a second user you need to invest in a second general cleaning brush. Again, for the price, this should be included.

Overall though this is outstanding and worth five stars. Look for price discounts. These are often found at half price.
on 17 February 2010
My previous Sonicare toothbrush decided it didn't want to be charged any more so I needed a new electric toothbrush and fast. Amazon were doing a brilliant deal on the Braun and that's why I picked it. And because of other people's reviews. It was easy to get started and a big bonus is that it only takes 10 hours to fully charge. It takes a wee bit of time to adjust to a new electric toothbrush but I've been using it for 3 weeks now and I'm really pleased. The plug on the charger has a wee velcro strap so that when you are storing the charger, the wire is all tidy. I registered my guarantee on line and got 3 years warranty instead of the 2 years it comes with.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this "Smart toothbrush" at lightning deal price, and I couldn't be happier. I buy so many different gadgets, and I am glad that this time I invested in something which will improve my well being.

Initially I did think that the LCD display was a bit of a gimmick, bit it actually has proven to be key in indicating when I was brushing my teeth too hard. I since have realised that my gums had receded due to the fact that I used to apply too much pressure on my tooth brush. Receding gums can lead to numerous dental health issues.

I will not go into unnecessary technicalities, as these are covered in detail by many other great reviews. Yet it is worth noting that the display is an ingenious way for displaying the correct procedure to brush your teeth.

If your kids are reluctant to brush their teeth, they will love using the Oral-B thanks to the display!! Kids love gadgets too :)

All I can say is that since using this toothbrush, I am achieving great results, and most importantly my gums are not receding any further !!

If my gums could speak they would most probably thank me for using the Braun Oral-B Triumph 5000 :)

Highly recommended !!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 March 2011
This is a brilliant toothbrush at a very good price. I bought this toothbrush as my dentist told me I was brushing too hard - I have a few friends who are dentists and this is the brush they use. Also, the replacement heads are a lot cheaper than those for the Philips Sonicare range.

Once used, the brush makes your mouth feel much cleaner than standard toothbrushes, and the SmartGuide is a great addition - it tells you if you how long you have left before you have met your "target" of 2 minutes brushing and even tells you if you are brushing too hard!
on 24 May 2011
We bought this after 2 previous Braun toothbrushes and have been disappointed in it. The brush itself is fine, very effective, and we like the visual display of brushing time.

But the base unit is a design disaster. It's not wall-mountable like other models, and is very hard to keep clean in a way that less sophisticated models were. And it may just be because it's not on constant charge, but the brush batteries seem to hold a recharge very poorly compared to lesser models.