5.0 out of 5 stars Check memory fitted before upgrading
Published on 7 Jun 2011 by Dave Mackay

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Netbook Ruined by Windows 7 Starter
Published on 1 July 2011 by R. Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Check memory fitted before upgrading, 7 Jun 2011
This review is from: Samsung N145 Plus 10.1 inch Netbook PC (Intel Atom N450 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Webcam, Win 7 Starter) - Black (Personal Computers)
Just purchased this excellent netbook along with the 2gb memory upgrade, as recommended by Amazon. The recommended upgrade was DDR2 memory. It turned out that the memory required for my netbook (the latest model) is, in fact, DDR3. Please check, before purchasing any upgrade, that it's correct for your netbook. Remove the memory fitted to your netbook and underneath it, in large letters, will be the type required. The return of what was supplied has been accepted without question.

It's interesting to see, however, that Amazon still show DDR2 in the spec list.
Only a little niggle on an otherwise excellent value product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Little Netbook, 16 Jun 2011

I ordered this Netbook 1155am Sunday 12th June, it was delivered before 1000 Monday 13th June. The quality of service from Amazon and their chosen couriers never ceases to amaze me.

For anyone confused and to answer the question raised by a fellow reveiwer, this is an N145Plus, the sticker on the bottom of may new toy says so, the sticker also shows mine was assembled in April 2011. This machine is an update on the previous similarly named model, the difference being an upgrade to use the faster DDR3 RAM. Hello Amazon, I hope you are reading this; although you have changed the tech spec section of the product description to reflect the new memory protocol, you are still showing the option to buy the netbook a cover and 2GB of DDR2 RAM. Anyone buying one of these machines, it does use DDR3 to confirm that point 'DDR3 ONLY' is printed under the memory module. Be warned.

This is my first foray into any form of mobile computing I am pleasantly surprised. At this point I should admit to a bit of a soft spot for Samsung products. The netbook itself feels solid and well made, the matt or satin finish of the lid doesn't show finger marks like the N150 I looked at in a high street store which looked like a crime scene investigators training aid. The amount of pre installed 'bloatware' is minimal, one program which has proved useful already is Samsung update manager which searches for driver updates. I used the program and it found three updated drivers including one for the wireless net work card.

As a personal choice I have ditched the trial version of Norton Internet secutity (Nothing against Norton, I have used their products for many years and still do. Internet Security 2011 is installed on my desk top and I love it). On this netbook I am using Microsoft's Security Essentials, which I feel is less resource hungry for a modestly powered device. I have also ditched Internet Explorer in favour of Google Chrome for the same reasons. I am truly impressed with the machine's nippy performance, it won't break any computing records but to perform the tasks for which it was designed it is a little cracker, even with the supplied 1GB of Ram. When I ordered the netbook I also ordered a 2GB module of RAM, If you are familiar with the expression of 'bang for your buck' you will know what my next comment is; buy the memory upgrade, for around 15 you can't go wrong.

I am going to get a lot of pleasure from my new N145Plus. I know you will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 19 Jun 2011
Had this item for about a week now.
No Problems getting it set up, was quick and easy.
For its size and power, it works efficiently. The fans are very quiet, screen is good.

The charger has a sufficiently long cable for use when plugged in, haven't yet tested how close to real life the battery life estimate is.
For this kind of price, its definitely excellent value.

Wireless connection was quick and easy, web browsing is quick.
We didn't go for the 2GB Update and nevertheless find it sufficient for working documents, internet and e-mail.

As for the looks: it has a simple design, everything necessary is there and with three USB Ports its well equipped.
All in all definitely a good buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Netbook Ruined by Windows 7 Starter, 1 July 2011
R. Mitchell "Rob" (UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent piece of hardware so why only 3 stars? It is quite baffling to me why Samsung would choose to risk their reputation by supplying their netbook with this semi-operating system. Being unable to support a CD drive is enough to put most people off but the restictions of 'Starter' are widespread. Windows 7 Starter is (in my opinion) just a cynical ploy by Microsoft, with Samsung in tow, to get a further 50 out of customers when they find they have to upgrade to Windows Home just to use the netbook to anything like its full capacity.

I bought a Samsung Netbook for myself a couple of years ago when they came with fully functioning XP, so based on my experience I recommended one to my brother in law. How embarrassed I was when we found the severe limitations of Windows 7 Starter. In the end I bought him the upgrade to make up for my poor recommendation.

So if you are a potential buyer - it's a great piece of hardware but it actually will cost you (at the moment) 50 more because you will need the upgrade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent netbook by Samsung, 27 Jun 2011
Brian SL Allen,Hon.FZPS,AHFAP (Inland Andalucia, Costa del Sol, Malaga, Spain) - See all my reviews
As this qualified for free delivery to Spain, I was delighted with the purchase. I did upgrade the memory by replacing the installed 1 GB RAM with one of 2 GB direct from Crucial in the UK - again free delivery and low cost too. Although it has Windows 7 Starter - I had been prepared to change this to either XP-PRO which I have, as a multi-install version, on my desktop computer but in reality, have found the Starter edition of Windows 7 is fine for this netbook. it is possible to change the Desktop Wallpaper and change other settings that appear to not be changeable BUT a simple check online reveals the simple ways access can be gained to do these personal adjustments - meaning I have found, from a working practical point of view, that Win 7 Starter edition is far more powerful and configurable than generally thought. Has updated easily and the WiFi connects easily too. The battery life is probably not 10 hours but seems to give a long working life. The battery indicator varies somewhat in its predictions of time left, going up and down, presumably relative to what is being done at the time, from 7 hours to 3 hours and back again. I would expect a very reasonable working time of around 5 hours to be normally accomplished and that suits me fine - it certainly does not use much power when just sitting between more active use. The non-reflective screen was a bonus and the display is very good. I work a lot with photographs on my desktop and was very surprised at the generally good display of photos on this Samsung netbook. I installed Avira free anti-virus and that works fine with this netbook, as does the free Ashampoo Firewall. I removed all trial editions of AV and MS products and installed the excellent open source (again free) Open Office - superb suite and compatible with Microsoft files - and can be set to work just like, say, Word if required, even saving files in that format as its default. What else can I say. It runs quite quickly, does its work very efficiently and as far as I am concerned, was an excellent choice and purchase. Upgrading to 2GB is recommended and I found this model has DDR3 - Crucial have an online Memory Checker that identifies what is installed and their support is (always has been as I use them quite a lot) excellent, so that ensures the fastest (and cheapest) RAM module(s) can be purchased and installed. As far as I am concerned - this little Samsung netbook is one of my better purchases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gadget, 27 Aug 2011
EMD (Warwick, UK) - See all my reviews
I had some doubts about buying this item after reading dozens of mixed reviews, but did buy it. The delivery was extraordinarily fast, the setup was a bit slow, but what laptop or PC's setup is fast?
I've been using it for 2 weeks now and I LOVE IT! since I have it I can do my assignments in bed or in any other place without the problem of size or weight. I am sending assignments every week tnx to it's size.
Another thing I love is the battery life, I can be anywhere and the time is about 7 hrs. It's amazing.
It is one of the best things I've bought and I would say, buy it!
Thanks to this product my student life has improved greatly ^_^
The only issue I've found is that the facebook games based on Flash don't run very well and in some cases it will crash, I haven't upgraded the memory and it could help.
The overall is that it is an amazing product for studying, writing assignments and internet browsing, light weight with s full size keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted with NetBook, 15 Aug 2011
I bought this as a birthday present plus the recommended memory upgrade for my husband - he is highly delighted after an initial hiccup. He found an unacceptably high CPU usage but having removed the Norton files and loaded Microsoft Essentials it is now running smoothly, the screen is easy to read - he chose it because he downloads a lot of Adobe files for research purposes and is very pleased with the clarity of the text. Altogether a most successful purchase; am now saving up for one of my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine, great service, 15 Aug 2011
My partner is a writer, so I bought him one of these for use when out and about as his widescreen laptop is a cumbersome beast. The various reviews that describe the laptop as doing exactly what it says on the tin sum up the machine perfectly - it's precisely what one expects with no hidden surprises either pleasant or otherwise, and absolutely ideal for web-surfing, documents and suchlike. The RAM is sufficient for the sort of purposes to which it'll be put by most owners, for those who require a little more the memory slots are easily accessible and a 2gb upgrade can be had for less than a tenner online. The screen actually turned out to be a little better than we expected: colours are clear and the resolution is adequate to read small text. Three USB ports is a nice touch, especially as many will wish to use a full-size keyboard and mouse since the keys and touchpad on netbooks are by nature a little cramped, though perfectly usable in this case.

What really impressed, however, was the speed of delivery. I ordered the computer at around 3pm and didn't bother with express delivery since everything I've ordered via Amazon has arrived within two or three days, which is what I expected this time - so I was more than a little surprised to receive the delivery at 9am the very next morning, just 15 hours after ordering. That is, frankly, superb; and much kudos is deserved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to upgrade to 2GB, 3 Sep 2011
Having read the reviews, I was keen to upgrade the netbook to 2GB right from the start so bought the memory from Crucial along with the netbook. I've never had the back off any computer in my life so I was a bit worried about going inside by brand new netbook - but no problem! I put a bit of old wire round my toe and to the radiator (as directed, to earth myself apparently), ulplugged the netbook and took the battery off, took the little cover off from under the netbook (clearly labelled 'memory'), pushed the clips on the 1gb card that just popped up, took it out, slotted the 2gb card in pushed down so it clicked, put the cover back on, switched on and HEY - worked first time! How easy was that, even for a rank amateur. Love the netbook already.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quick, but..., 11 July 2011
I'm developing & deploying a .NET application. The business got rid of the machine I used last summer, which had all the development tools on it, and so I thought "why don't I bring my development environment into work with me?" Ordered it on Friday afternoon and got delivered on Saturday morning, fully up and running with Visual Studio 2010, Office 2010 and IE9 (while this netbook doesn't show it at its best, it's still pretty snappy) by Sunday afternoon.

While its battery life is good and its screen and WiFi reception are great, it could do with a bit more RAM - it grinds forever whilst opening a project. And yes, Win 7 Starter sucks, but it turns out that pretty much the only feature I miss is the capability to change my desktop background and backup to a network share, and you can always upgrade. Would recommend.

ARRAY(0xa218c174)