5.0 out of 5 stars Show Don't Tell (William Noble)
Wow, yet another speck of gold surfaces in this endless dig for quality written, prose on the art of how to write for your treasure chest. Sadly, buried on the net are masses of quick fix rubbish full of false promises, yet if you have the patience to dig deep enough, sooner or later, something will sparkle.

I tried to speed-read this book, however, within the...
Published on 12 Aug 2012 by A. W. Cribb

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful addition to a writer's library
I read William Noble's book on writing dialogue "Shut UP!" He Explained: A Writer's Guide to the Uses and Misuses of Dialogue (Classic Wisdom on Writing) a while ago and found it incredibly useful and easy to follow. So I decided to try another one of his titles in an attempt to teach myself the secrets of writing fiction.

SDT does not disappoint and despite...
Published 23 months ago by Asphodelia

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful addition to a writer's library, 22 Nov 2012
Asphodelia (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Show Don't Tell: A Writer's Guide (Classic Wisdom on Writing) (Kindle Edition)

SDT does not disappoint and despite being a short book, it's very comprehensive in covering the many aspects of 'creating a picture' in a novel and even in non-fiction. There are sections on novel openings, similes and metaphors, creating dialogues, points of view and closings, among others. The examples are generally well-chosen and from books or authors you might have heard of, from Thoreau to Dickens to Tom Clancy.

My only criticism is that the author doesn't seem to talk about how and when to describe characters' facial expressions between snippets of dialogue; do we need to say the the man frowned? How much descriptive writing is enough? I expected this area to be covered but I am none the wiser.

On a technical note, this Kindle book is very poorly formatted in that the fonts are absolutely minuscule. I mean, really, really tiny. Granted, you can increase the font size in the Kindle, which is what I did, but if you are reading more than one book at the time, every time you switch to another book you will have to re-adjust the fonts, otherwise they will be huge. I found this a bit of a nuisance.

However, this is still a very useful addition to a novice writer's library and very good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Show Don't Tell (William Noble), 12 Aug 2012

I tried to speed-read this book, however, within the first few pages that became impossible, as the magnetism of each speckled paragraph, sentence, phrase and word, slowed me down to reading at a speed that I was able to inwardly digest the masses of yellow gold information that was being offered-up to me.
At first I found this frustrating, as I wanted to; get on, however, the sensible side of my brain suddenly realised, and prompted myself a logical question.

"Do you want to just - get on, and by the time you have speedily reached the end, you will have forgotten the beginning, and the middle; or do you want to surface out the other end of this course of education, with a treasure chest of gold-nuggets of knowledge that will allow your writing to benefit for years to come?"

H'mm! The answer was obvious.

Well written words are not read, and in fact, if they are that good, they are not even seen; quite-simply, only the emotions they carry should be experienced. This book is an education that builds the correct foundations for any aspiring writer.

My only sadness! Where are the exercises at the end of each topic that would have served to cement each piece of knowledge into place? H'mm!

Excellent book! I can see myself delving into this nugget-filled treasure chest, quite often.

More please!

William (Hampshire UK)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is like a summer day, clear and stimulating., 24 Sep 2012
I was enthralled, this is a must have book for any budding author. Every page gives you more, like a fountain of knowledge it flows beautifully refreshing the reader with invaluable inspiration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Show don't tell..., 18 May 2011
Mr. J. Duffy "Jack Duffy" (Aberdeen, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
An enjoyable and informative read. Many useful tips for writers both budding and experienced. The author 'shows' how dialogue and other techniques can enliven and add valuable authenticity to our attempts at novel and short story writng.
I heartily recommend it.

JD

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any aspiring writers, 7 May 2013
I am currently studying on a Creative Writing course and were recommended this book on a forum. Being skeptical of most things I approached this with some apprehension but I was thoroughly surprised at the usefulness of the book. It has served as my manual for the duration of the course and it is an indispensable guide for any aspiring writers who would like to be published authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Of 'A-Ha' Moments to get you unstuck!, 10 Aug 2012
A bit dubious about cheap books on writing, I passed this one over many times while seeking weightier tomes on the subject. After spending nearly £50 on books I was still stuck and left wondering where I was going wrong in my writing. My written work had been A Grade stuff for GCSE's and A Levels over 20 years ago, why did it feel so academic, dull and lifeless now? Experimenting with the latest structures (Blake Snyder, Todd Klick, Nancy Kress..etc.) was invigorating and energising. But something was missing. I learnt exactly what I was seeking in the first 13 pages of this little gem. In the first two pages William Noble gets to the nitty gritty of cutting to the action as soon as the writer puts pen to paper. Read the extract available on 'Look Inside' and even this will be illuminating -As you can tell I was VERY stuck! This is an engaging and well-written work with excellent literary examples that are well-placed to illustrate Noble's points. Visceral writing, what it it really is? And how to do it? It's all here for less than £3. Highly Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 16 April 2013
One of the most useful books on writing I have read. I am currently coming towards the end of my first draft of a novel and it was as though I had a helpful friend working alongside me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Show don't tell A writers guide, 29 Mar 2013
A very well written book, very informative and easy to read. I haven't finished reading it yet but it has helped to show and not do to much telling which I intended to do. I would recommend the book to anyone whose interested in writing

5.0 out of 5 stars Show don't tell, 8 Nov 2012
This is a booked which brings together the many short pieces written on the subject. It is so easy to revert to telling. This book can jolt the writer whenever he/she thinks that they have lost their way. I find it a very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great inspiration, 7 Aug 2014
For any aspiring novelist this is a great book. This isn't a thin self-help pamphlet, of which there are many on the market. This is a well-considered, detailed and thorough writer's guide. And unlike any non-fictional self-help guide I've read before I just couldn't put it down - just like a good novel. Highly recommended.