5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, beautiful, a masterpiece, not just for girls!
Published on 29 Sep 2011 by FA

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice But Thin
Arriety is the Ghibli interpretation of Mary Norton's The Borrowers Afield. It is a very nice film with reasonable animation but it fails to hold the attention spans of young or old and does not really have the characterisation that the original classic produced nor the other interpretations including the early 90s interpretation featuring Ian Holm. Arriety is probably...
Published on 14 April 2012 by MLA

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, beautiful, a masterpiece, not just for girls!, 29 Sep 2011
This review is from: Arrietty [DVD] (DVD)
I went to see Arrietty at the cinema with my 3 boys, aged 11, 8 and 6. This would not be a usual choice for them, as they're more into Star Wars and Harry Potter, and they were slightly reluctant. From the first frame, however, they - and I - were completely captivated. The animation is exquisitely drawn, the colours vibrant, the soundtrack and the music atmospheric, and the story is of adventure, love, betrayal, difference and growing up. The film sparked quite a few discussions among us.
We've now watched Spirited Away too(verdict "wierd but good"), and plan to work our way through the rest of the Studio Ghibli films. I will definitely buy Arrietty when it's released on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful, 27 Aug 2011
This review is from: Arrietty [DVD] (DVD)
I saw the Japanese language version with subtitles - always the best way to go with Ghibli. The quality of the drawing and animation is absolutely stunning; I went to a 9pm showing (remember this supposedly a kids' film - in reality it works for everyone) and there were some scenes - e.g. the first sight of the interior of the dolls' house - where almost everyone in the cinema (all adults) was gasping something along the lines of "Oh, wow". The drawing is so wonderful. I never thought I'd say this, but I think it gives Spirited Away a good run for its money, certainly in terms of the production, if not the imagination of the script (I never read The Borrowers, so I don't know how closely this stays to the book). This really is a must see - and get the Bluray version to see all the incredible detail in those frames.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 31 July 2011
This review is from: Arrietty [DVD] (DVD)
This film is excellent. The artwork creates so much character and it is visually beautiful. The story is close to the original and keeps you interested throughout. Overall a pleasing, interesting and stunning film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just beautiful, 28 July 2012
Jess (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrietty [DVD] (DVD)
Everything I wanted and more from Studio Ghibli's adaption of The Borrowers. The ending left me wondering a little too much, but I think that just added to the enigma of the film. The artwork is just beautiful, and the soundtrack is far by the best I've heard from SG. I have only ever teared up at one other of Ghibli's films - Princess Mononoke - but this did the job too when Arriety said goodbye to Sho.

This is not slow-paced like some of Studio Ghibli's other films, you are constantly entertained. If you like the Borrowers or anime, this is a must-have for your collection.

Also, I want Studio Ghibli to know how pleased I am that they are still releasing these full-feature films in the traditional anime style. So many companies have abandoned what made them great in order to produce bigger, more expensive projects to keep up with the film industry and bring more money in. I am 18 and have loved Studio Ghibli for years, and I always will. Please don't change! I look forward to purchasing your next animation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, Gorgeous Artwork, Stunning Sound!, 23 Jan 2013
MikiJimi (Leicester, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrietty [DVD] (DVD)
This is the latest offering from Studio Ghibli, the Japanese animation specialists. The story is loosely based on "The Borrowers". Sho, an ill and lonely human boy, arrives at his Grandmother's house in the country and he soon spots Arrietty, a girl belonging to a family of "little people" living secretly under the floorboards of the house. Although initially frightened, she soon realises that Sho is a kind and gentle boy and they become friends, but the diminutive family have to move out because the mischievous old housekeeper has also made the discovery and is determined to get rid of them(she calls a pest control team to the house!). Visually, this film is a real treat, full of the most amazing detail, like the beautiful,lush garden, bursting with nature. The use of vibrant colour,light and texture is remarkable. The soundscape is equally impressive, the clock ticking, the raindrops splashing, the thunder rumbling are ordinary things made extraordinary in this delightful movie and the music fits the mood perfectly. This magical fable is lovingly crafted and is well worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly delightful & heart-warming animation that anyone will love!, 5 July 2011
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 4:15 Mins

***REVIEW IS BASED PURELY ON THE FILM, NOT FEATURES***

I do want to state that I am reviewing this product purely on the film itself as I only have the Japanese version, I do know however that the English version which is due for release WILL have English audio :)

Unlike most Studio Ghibli films which are directed by Hayao Miyazaki, this one was in fact done by Hiromasa Yonebayashi who is apparently the youngest person to ever so far direct a film for Studio Ghibli, do not let this in any way put you off as it has every feel a Ghibli film would have.

The film is based on a very tiny girl named "Arrietty" who is a borrower, she lives with her mum and dad under a house which they borrow from so they can survive, things soon change when Arrietty gets into human contact with a boy named Sho, as one of the main rules of a borrower is not too be seen by a human being the parents get rather worried for their well-being, I can't really go into much more detail without ruining the story so I'll just leave it as that.

Everyone who watches this film will greatly appreciate the work that has been put into the animation & stoyline and will be enjoyed by anyone (child, teen or adult).

I also love the soundtrack which is very fitting to the film, which is done by Cécile Corbel.

This film deserves top marks and no less and will recommend this film to all!

*** EDIT: 30th July 2011 ***
Just came back from watching the English version from the cinema, I still really enjoyed it.

Voices for Arrietty and her family were pretty much spot on, however the voice acting for Sho (the boy) could of been done by someone better, it didn't bother me too much, but it was lacking that little something, other than that the film is still top-notch!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the kiddies..., 25 Aug 2011
Mr Paul English (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrietty [DVD] (DVD)
This is a magical and wonderful film, a joy on the eyes for the beautiful colours in the drawings and a treat for the ears with a beautiful sparkling clear soundtrack.

My only problem with it (I saw the Japanese version in the cinema)is that it seems to have been side-lined purely into a kiddies movie. This will deter many I fear from seeing it. It really is a film for all and indeed maybe especially for adults, to re-discover the child in each of us. An enchanting film, I loved every frame.Treat yourself to something special.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect! :), 9 April 2013
This review is from: Arrietty [DVD] (DVD)
Perfect condition, just what I needed for class topic introduction, a good alternative version of the borrowers. Kids loved it! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Get film, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Arrietty [DVD] (DVD)
My girls love it and it's a terrific film, and we have started the collection. This is a top film and a keeper!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Arrietty [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great film, I would definitely recommend it to anyone, the same as all other SG's! Thank you

Arrietty  [DVD]
Arrietty [DVD] by Hiromasa Yonebayashi (DVD - 2012)
11.57