5.0 out of 5 stars You need to buy this....NOW!!!
I don't know all of the technical jargon to confuse the masses about how wonderful this thing is so I'm just going to review it as a 'normal' person.

Published on 19 Sep 2011 by Bloodytypical

Had a Sony Cinema system with DVD which finally wore out (DVDs failing to load) after a number of years of daily use. The great thing was the way it worked seamlessly with a more recently purchased Bravia TV. So I decided to take the plunge and get a Home Cinema with BluRay.

Published on 13 Oct 2011 by Carol Haynes

5.0 out of 5 stars You need to buy this....NOW!!!, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: Sony BDVE880.CEK 3D Blu-Ray Disc/DVD 5.1ch Home Cinema BRAVIA Internet Video (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)

What can I say? I bought this based on reading some very positive reviews so I expected quite a high standard from this thing. I have to admit that even my high expectations were blown away. This thing is just incredible. It is so easy to assemble that even I could do it without swearing (blue to blue, red to red, HDMI to HDMI, okay, I can handle that). I even had to do a temporary bypass for the video out from my cable box as the HDMI out from it is broken, which seemed straightforward. By this point my girlfriend has left me to it probably thinking "Here we go again, I'll come back in four hours or so!".

After plugging it all together I went to turn it on, thinking to myself "and here's where I find out how big a botch I have made of this.", and to my surprise this beautiful (and it is a beautiful looking machine) comes on (a good opening sign). On goes the TV, select the right AV channel and woo-hoo, I have picture. It then guides me through an extremely simple setup 'wizard' which deals with everything from language settings all the way through to calibrating the speakers and sound. Amazing, I have picture AND sound. I'm feeling really pleased with myself so far.

I pop in a Blu-ray disc and the picture and sound quality are second to none, really crisp picture (even on my older Sony Bravia) and sounds flying round the room like you wouldn't believe. The Operating System is really easy to navigate your way around and I managed to get to grips with it really easily.

One of the best features of this unit (and one of the reasons that I bought it), is that it has an incorporated i-pod dock and this is next on my list of possible failures in the setup process that I need to test out. On goes my wee i-pod and the first thing that surprises me is that this dock actually charges my i-pod (It's one of the recent models where generally only Apple docks do that). Genius, A++ to Sony and :oP to Apple! Then I go to the top menu of the system and go hunting for i-pod. It doesn't (as I expected) just tune the speakers to what the i-pod is outputing, but it actually gives you all of your artists/albums/playlists, fully controllable through the system remote control and listed on your TV screen. You don't need to go near your i-pod, so it's a fully functioning sound system as well. I don't know why but I didn't expect this so it was a pleasant surprise. It's also got a radio, and can obviously play CDs and mp3 discs. This thing is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, I'm litterally jumping for joy.

Even my girlfriend is standing there now just saying "Oh wow!". She's blown away by this thing as well. We watch a couple of things (Planet Earth for starters, which is incredible on this) and I just can't find a single thing to complain about.

(Okay, I admit it, there is one little thing that niggles at me, it should have come with HDMI cable and/or coaxial cable, but luckily I had an old HDMI hiding in a cupboard, but it still annoyed me a little. On the plus side, I've not come across anything that DOES come with an HDMI cable, so again, why am I surprised.)

Unfortunately, I don't have a LAN cable at the moment. I am VERY excited to start online streaming with this thing though, and it certainly seems like it's not going to let me down on any front (I sincerely hope so anyway).

I'll continue this review once I've gone and located a LAN cable tonight, but all I can say so far is, if you're looking for a blu-ray surround sound system then YOU HAVE TO BUY THIS THING. It is The Dogs!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 24 Aug 2011
Mr. I. Ahmad "Kingy" (London) - See all my reviews
Having not owned a home cinema style system before, i was expecting a step up in quality on my current sound. What i didn't expect is the extent of the quality differential. When i hooked this all up and whacked a blue ray in, my first reaction was WOW. Then my second was, why hadn't i done this before?

The quality of the system is clear throughout, from the clever colour coding scheme (so you know exactly where each wire goes), to the sleek black speakers and the weighty sub-woofer, i was impressed.

Getting it all started was a piece of cake. I put in my LAN and off i went. Software was upgraded instantly.

I also liked the nice little touch where the system calibrates the sound for you automatically by holding a microphone in the ear depending on your seating arrangement. Very clever.

And most importantly the sound quality, and this is where i was blown away. Don't be fooled by the slim speakers, they pack a punch and then some. I watched Tron legacy last night in full surround sound and it was superb. The Blu Ray player is excellent.

Other little touches, the inclusion of an ipod dock (and yes it worked perfectly i did check).

Btw as a little recommendation, i hooked this up to a Sonos Zoneplayer 90 and Spotify Premium and then the system really came into its own.

Very pleased with my purchase, this is a 5 star system no doubt about it. Well done Sony.

4.0 out of 5 stars mind of its own, 15 Feb 2012
I am not usually very pro-active about leaving reviews, but in this instance thought I would share my experience in case anyone else is experiencing the trouble I had with this unit.

Firstly, all the other reviews about this being a good product are correct so I won't go over all that again.

When I first set this unit up I decided to connect my TV to it using a optical lead in order to use the surround sound when watching the TV (ie not playing a DVD). I found that after an hour or so of viewing the DVD tray would start going in and out completely of its own accord, no matter what I tried I could not stop this happening so assumed it must be a fault. Amazon sent me a replacement no problem.

I was then perplexed that the replacement unit also seemed to have a mind of its own after an hour or so of viewing, it also decided that when playing a DVD it would start adjusting the volume of its own accord an hour or so into viewing.

As a last ditch attempt to solve the problem before returning the item for a refund I wondered if it was the TV interferring with the unit in some way once it had got hot (I have a Samsung plasma TV), so I moved the unit to the bottom shelf of my TV cabinet - further away from the tele. So far I have not had any repeats of the above annoyances.

So there you have it, if you think you have poltergiest operating your DVD player, try moving it further away from your TV. Hope this helps someone.

5.0 out of 5 stars DONT BOTHER LOOKING AT THE REVIEWS JUST BUY IT!!, 30 Nov 2011
Not much more to say than I LOVE IT! Sound quality is excellent and having Ipod dock is a very handy feature. Easy to set up, colour coded cables really make a difference. Blu-ray player Im also really impressed with, picture quality spot on and player itself is really quite quiet. Only minor complaint I do have along with others that have reviewed this, is that remote control and soft touch keys on blu-ray player did take a little getting used to, but overall I would reccommend to all. Thanks again amazon for fast, reliable delivery and sony, you never let me down.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 10 Jan 2012
We really love this dvd system, very good sound and picture. Also we like ipod stand, it is very useful. Also it looks very smart, the towers are tall, but they suit very well our living room. Now can`t stop watching dvd`s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Blu Ray at its best, 4 Jan 2012
Andy Graham (Lincoln, England) - See all my reviews
Totally amazing and jaw dropping performance. I read a couple of reviews from other people picking on minor issues (that I don't seem to have) and for a minute I was unsure if I should buy this item. Being a Sony fan I and it was the best model I could afford I ordered it.

Very easy to set up and get right. Only slight niggle was one of the supplied rear speaker cables needed to be longer, but not an issue for most people.

Once I started to watch my first film, it confirmed how outdated my previous system was and totally amazed me. It is the best I have ever seen under £1500 for sound and picture quality. It makes a true home cinema possible and adds to every film I have watched on it since.

Buy one and you will never regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars sony dvd theatre, 8 Nov 2011
Mr. S. A. Smith "alandmar" (cornwall uk) - See all my reviews
wonderful to view the internet on a large screen with this sony dvd system
good all rounder
remote control took a while to get used to but would recommend this system to anyone.
well worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent all round system., 2 Aug 2011
After searching the internet for a review of this product and to no avail, I decided to take the plunge and buy the Sony BDVE880. The system was simple to set up with all the speakers colour coded and an on screen step by step setup process, to my suprise the system came with a mic for auto calibration for the rooms accoustics, it instantly made a difference to the sound. The first Blu-Ray I played was Tron, the picture was truly crisp and beautiful it really brought my Sony HD LED TV to life, the sound was incredible, the down firing sub was hard hitting and very clear, the general sound overall was incredible and brought the cinema experience right in to my room, I would highly recommend this home cinema system, I seem to find new features on it every day.Sony BDVE880.CEK 3D Blu-Ray Disc/DVD 5.1ch Home Cinema BRAVIA Internet Video

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound and picture but controls are really not intuitive, 13 Oct 2011
Carol Haynes (North Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Set up was the usual simple affair (the colour coding a speaker plugs seem to be the same for all Sony Cinema systems so I didn't even have to lay out new cables). Speaker calibration was a breeze with the calibration mic. (same as the old system).

That was when I got fed up and disappointed. The universal Sony remote wouldn't operate the Sony Bravia TV without having to be reprogrammed!

Having reprogrammed it does operate the TV after a fashion but lots of the TV features are missing.

You have to remember button sequences to do anything (turn on everything press BD and then the play button - even if there is no disk in the machine, turn off press TV and then the AV power switch).

It goes to sleep if left on pause or stopped for any length of time and pressing play doesn't always seem to restart the DVD or BD disk first time - on occasions I have had to turn off in frustration and then turn on again).

The remote is a complete mess - it seems to have a mind of its own and after a few weeks of use I seem to be getting to grips with its 'quirks' but why did they lose the brilliant design of the previous model?

The biggest annoyance is that If you are watching a TV series and press stop and then remove the disk when you put it in again the disk doesn't play from the last point as on the older system. It will startagain from the start of the disk which is really annoying.

The old system would remember the last played location from a large number of disks over the last couple of weeks - this one will only remember the last disk played provided it isn't removed from the machine - and even then if you have a fight with the remote it forgets!

I can't comment on the 3D playback as I don't have a 3D TV and can't really see the point of buying one and the expensive glasses.

All in all the machine is a very good player, it is nice to have things like BBC iPlayer etc. (although they duplicate the TV which is a little pointless for me) and it is easy to set up.

What it really needs is a firmware update to make the remote work in some sort of consistent and logical manner - I really don't want to have to wade through a very poor manual to work out how to do things all the time because they aren't obvious!

Additional comment: Forgot to mention - the 'soft' buttons on the machine (ie. touch sensitive illuminated areas) are not good - they work but are much more fiddly than positive press buttons. I have the same buttons on my computer monitors and they are equally irritating. The do look nice and sleek but give me functionality over style every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Sony BDVE880, 29 Jan 2012
This is a fantastic product! Easy to set up, easy to use..what more could you want.I use it in conjuction with a Sony TV so everything works well from one remote and all components match up visually and technically. All in all a must have system!!