4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read but slightly predictable

3.0 out of 5 stars In 2 minds
Published 23 months ago by Di-W

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read but slightly predictable, 24 July 2011
This review is from: The Sixth Man (Kindle Edition)
All the elements of a good Baldacci novel are present in THE SIXTH MAN but somehow they just don't come together quite as well as in some of his previous books. There is the usual secret service goings on and their questionable actions which leave you wondering who is in the right and who's on who's side. The two main characters Sean King and Michelle Maxwell are both ex-secret service who share a common link that draws them together and sparks romance. Working as PIs they are hired to help in the defence case of a serial killer. When his attorney is murdered they uncover some alarming facts and find themselves against mysterious and far superior forces. The writing is sharp, the action gritty and the story interesting as we follow the couple on their journey which makes this an enjoyable read. It just lacked a little bit of suspense in the way that it was revealed. Still one I would recommend as un-complicated and fun read.

3.0 out of 5 stars In 2 minds, 13 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Sixth Man (Kindle Edition)
My first thoughts about this book were a little too 'lead you by the hand' and spelt things out a bit too much. I am astute enough to understand the nuances in the story without having everything explained in detail and there was a little too much fine detail which explained the number of pages it contained! Having said that I enjoyed the story line and liked the characters but just knew who the baddie was early in the book and would have been very let down by any other ending. The story moved well once I started to skip some of the finer details of scenery and technical facts about jet planes! It improves as it goes along and I'm glad I stuck with it. I can't decide if it was mediocre and perhaps a bit amateurish or excellent. I'll probably try another book by this author to follow the characters, who I liked. It's definitely worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Sixth Man, 7 Nov 2011
Tom Stronach (Essex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sixth Man (Paperback)
"Michelle moved, but not quite fast enough. The blow glanced across her forehead and dug into her ear. She twisted sideways, found purchase on the asphalt path, pivoted, setting her weight on her right foot, and launched a kick to her attacker's left knee.
Michelle Maxwell loved attacking knees. It was the largest joint in the body where four bones - the patella, the femur, the fibula, and the tibia - all came together like a highway interchange and were held together by an array of ligaments, muscles, and tendons. It is one of the most intricate parts of the body and critical for mobility.
Michelle destroyed it."
The Sixth Man

I heard an interview with David Baldacci on the BBC Breakfast recently and I thought his 'new' book sounds interesting.

I had previously seen his books as I browsed the shelves before but I never got round to actually picking one up for a flick through. Having said that, on the strength of the interview I thought it might be worth a go. Mr Baldacci seems to be a bit of a prolific author and "The Sixth Man" is No 5 in his King and Maxwell series of books about the lives of two ex American Secret Service Agents, both of whom have been fired for losing the people they were protecting.

I have not read any of the previous novels and I may well do as I found that this was a good read.

A Good Read was what it was and there were many twists and turns. The premise is that King and Maxwell start off to meet King's old college tutor, a lawyer who has asked for his help in a case. On travelling to Maine they come across, in the middle of nowhere the lawyers car with his dead body still in it.

The case, Bergin, the lawyer was working on, was defending an Internal Revenue (Tax Man to us brits) man who had been charged with multiple murder , six bodies in his barn and he was standing over the grave with shovel in hand when the police conveniently arrived on the scene, guilty, no, but that is all I am going to tell you about that.

The plot moves between Maine, New York and Washington and a high Security Federal prison in the middle of nowhere. It involves the head of Homeland Security, Private Security Contractors, Mercenaries, the FBI and the President.

The action was pretty fast paced and the whole structure of the book was well laid out, following one lead then another making it easy to keep up. I really did enjoy it but, and this is only me of course, it was a book that has taken me two week to read. That is not a criticism as the last two authors and whose books I read and who I know and love, Julian Stockwin and Michael R Hicks, I couldn't put their books down, once started, except for exhaustion. Baldacci may well fit in to that category as I pick up more of his books in the future.

If you do buy this one, it will keep you on your toes and there are two completely unexpected exposes in the final chapters that had me shaking my head. Completely unexpected but in the context of the story so perfectly addressed and revealed making you think to yourself, "Why the hell did I not see that coming", which made the two weeks entirely worthwhile.

2.0 out of 5 stars My first David Baldacci book - a disappointment, 19 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Sixth Man (Paperback)
This is the first book I have read by this author. Having struggled to get hooked on the story I gave up when I was half way through. For me it certainly wasn't a page turner, and I found that when there was dialogue, it was almost unbearably corny. This of course is just my personal taste, so to help other potential readers, some of the authors I really enjoy are Jeff Abbott, Lee Child, Patrick Lee, James Patterson, Sam Bourne & more. Ones I struggle with are Andy McDermott, David Sakmyster and sometimes Michael Connelly. So if your taste is the same as mine, chances are you'll feel the same about this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly too predictable, 3 Sep 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Sixth Man (Hardcover)
As most people are aware, I love a thriller and as such David Baldacci is usually a name that I trust to give me what I want. It's cleverly written, the characters are developing their relationships and its usually something that keeps the book on an even keel from start to finish giving the reader enough excitement as well as opportunity to recover before the next big sequence.

Whilst I did get that from this story, it was sadly a little predictable and when you're on book five of an established series the reader expects some shocks as well as twists to keep it from stagnating. Whilst I did get a lot of goose bumps from the action, knowing what was going to happen ruined this experience for me and as such this isn't one of my favourite books by this author. Don't get me wrong, it is a lot of fun, the usual elements are there and if you're not up to speed it might well surprise but as an established fan, I expected more. Sadly I didn't get it but I'll still stick in there to see what comes next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 28 Nov 2011
Ms. H. M. Evans (Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sixth Man (Audio CD)
For those that like Harlen Coben, Baldacci is in the same exciting vein. A great plot which keeps you guessing until the end, so much so it's difficult to fit work in when you've reached your destination but not the end of a "chapter".

3.0 out of 5 stars The good, the bad and the simply unbelievable, 26 Sep 2014
John M "John M" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Sixth Man (Paperback)
This was my first Baldacci thriller, although he's an obviously well established thriller writer. This features ex-Secret Service investigators, Michelle Maxwell and Sean King looking into the guilt or innocence of a man accused of being a serial killer. Without going into great plot details, there is obviously much more to the scenario than first meets the eyes. There are some good ideas in the plot, but on the whole it is very far-fetched and incredible, bordering on the silly, with the main character's motivation for the whole caper being rather flimsy, and the use of coincidence on ocassion, which spoilt it a bit for me. Many characters are either not developed or caracitures, and there is a lot of very inane dialogue. I'm prepared to give the author another go in the hope that this is a below average for him.

2.0 out of 5 stars Same Baldacci ambition, same errors, 19 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Sixth Man (Hardcover)
Baldacci is a best-selling author famed for blockbuster novels with twisting plots, and with good reason. You can expect superhuman secret agents, futuristic weapons and technology, ambitious, evil bad guys and - increasingly - tales of bureaucracy and departmental competition getting in the way of the US government's efforts of keeping the country safe.

The Sixth Man does not deviate from this model, and it is no bad thing; ambitious plots with conspiracies leading as far as the White House has worked well in the past. The storyline is ok: an irreplaceable genius with a remarkable mind who spearheads the US intelligence effort is locked up in a mental institution, having been arrested for the apparent murder of 6 people found buried in his barn. Baldacci's regular heroes, Maxwell and King, find themselves caught up in trying to prove his innocence, a job which puts them up against the FBI, sections of the US government and other mysterious villains. It is as implausible as any other Baldacci plot, but that doesn't matter; a ridiculous plot is part of the contract when you buy his books, and he has delivered great books with incredible plot twists that would cause even the wildest conspiracy theorist to raise an eyebrow. The problem here is in the actions of the character and the development of the plot.

I have no problem in buying in to crazy cataclysmic conclusions, as long as the narrative follows a logical path to get there. This book, much like his last, fails miserably on this front. For example, in the first half of the novel, our heroes are trying to chase down a mystery killer who shoots various characters. The heroes are highly skilled and highly intelligent, as is the killer. However, our heroes conclude that simply because different guns were used to kill different people, the same killer could not be responsible for both deaths. This logic is left unchallenged and the story charges on, despite the fact that it is entirely plausible that the killer may have used different weapons for different jobs. The book is riddled with logical flaws like this, which leaves the reader feeling dragged towards a predetermined conclusion rather than being led there in a series of logical steps. These mistakes make the whole thing entirely implausible and I often found myself thinking, "but they just wouldn't do that".

Another jarring problem is the author's English. Last time, it was the Dick-Van-Dyke accent he gave the English secret agent. This time, it is the simple misuse of words. "His mind was literally catapulting forward to one devastating scenario after another", apparently. I doubt it. Analysts "memorializing" their findings? No.

I actually think this could have been a decent story, but the errors spoil it. This is poor, but marginally better than the truly awful Hell's Kitchen, so it gets two stars. Baldacci has built up a lot of goodwill so I'll put it down to lazy editing and rushing the book out for now, but he really needs a return to form soon. The last two books have been stinkers.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cracking Read, 19 May 2012
This review is from: The Sixth Man (Paperback)
I have read most of Baldacci's works now, and , apart from 'Hell's Corner' this is a cracking read. I was new to the King/Maxwell partnership when I was given this to read on holiday. It is a well worn cliche, but I really could not put this one down!

As a standalone book it is very good, but as part of a series it rounds it off perfectly (I hope that there are further outings for this pair) and would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping Read, 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Sixth Man (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, and I know that Badacci is one of my favourite authors, therefore could be biased, but once I started this book, I was extremely reluctant to stop reading it until I reached the end.
The idea of a man such as this sixth man I found quite credible.. but then I could just be gullible! I recommend you read it as I believe it is up to his usual standard, unlike some reviewers.

The Sixth Man