on 5 October 2011
I read the book Follow The Stone, that had an excellent story line and plot, great characters and great dialogue. John Locke's writing is superb and witty and easy to follow.

Don't Poke The Bear still has the great writing, dialogue and characters, but the story is all over the place with no real plot that takes you through the whole book. Then at the end it just ended with out resolving even some of the meagre storylines and plots that were there.

Such a pity, because I think it could have been turned into a good book.

I will probably give the third book a go though, hoping it returns to the standard of the first.
on 31 May 2012
I can't get enough of this author, he is quirky and totally off the wall and I love it. His stories are so original and keep you glued to the page. I read them in the wrong order so purchased them in the right order and they are a wonderful read. Now waiting for the latest in the series. But read anything that John Locke writes, all of his books are great!
on 26 August 2013
After reading and enjoying John Lockes other books I thought I'd move onto this series ,I expected a similar read but it's nothing like the Donovan creed or Gideon Box stories ,these men have danger written threw their core whereas Emmett Love is a nice guy who just happens to be dangerous.The same humour shines threw though.I have read the first two in the series and enjoying getting to know these characters cos I know eventually it will all tie in .I will recommend these boo.ks and this author to all
on 12 April 2014
I love the way John Locke writes. Came across At times had to put book down to wipe laughter tears away.e his books as "freebies" on Amazon and got hooked. Has a way of writing with tongue in cheek but still has a good story. At times had to put book down to wipe tears away. This series of Emmet Love westerns is terrific. If you likea laugh and good story try Dani Ripper (female Detective)books as well.
on 3 July 2011
This isn't normally my kind of thing, but I thought I'd give it a go as I was downloading all John Locke's books in one go.I should have read Follow The Stone first, but Don't Poke the Bear had me chuckling the whole way through and I can't wait for the next one. It's very light reading, and was a good "filler" from a lot of crime thrillers I've been ploughing through. Short and sweet!
on 12 July 2011
I like John Locke's books,his brand of humour suits.
Having read hundreds and hundreds of westerns of every stripe i didn't think anyone would come up with an original take-Locke has.
A sort of cross between "McCabe and Mrs Miller" and "The outlaw Josey Wales" ? I thoroughly enjoyed this little gem.
This is the sequel to "follow the stone"
on 2 November 2013
The second book in the Emmett and Gentry series. I never thought I would be reading and enjoying westerns but John Locke is such a talented writer I decided to read the first one, Follow the Stones and loved it. The attention to detail is not for the faint hearted though!
on 24 August 2013
I read the first book in this series on the recommendation of my sister, otherwise I don't think I would have thought it was a genre I would have been interested in. I loved both books and cannot wait to read the next one in the series
on 8 October 2013
This author is fantastic his books just get better and better. I have got so many of his books to read I am going to finish this series first before I read the last two of the Donovan Creed series that I just down loaded
on 7 April 2013
He's done it again - hooked me with a story that left me unable to resist buying the next...unfair, John. Give me a break. You're costing me a fortune.
Loved it! Loved the bear and the humour.