4.0 out of 5 stars good price and value product

Published 11 months ago by DML

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars good price and value product, 4 Aug 2011
P. K. Preston (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A-Express« 2x Antishock Trekking Walking Hiking Pair Sticks Poles (Misc.)
I needed a walking pole to help with my recovery after knee and back problems but I found the upright grip of a pole didn't give me enough strength through the arm so I looked for a walking stick style that could also be extended to pole heights. I chose this product due to Amazon reviews then found the double pack deal and as it's often much easier/better to walk with two sticks for better balance and distribution of stresses, I went with this.

The sticks arrived quickly and well packaged. They are easy to adjust and at my height of 5'11" they are excellent as walking sticks but do get a bit flexible at pole length. This isn't a problem for me as once I'm using one as a pole rather than supporting stick I won't be putting much weight through it. The spring suspension is surprsingly good and makes some surfaces and conditions much easier on my arm and shoulder - although one of the sticks does have a squeak already. that may be because I use the sticks in the rain, on the beach, in the cold and heat, so they get quite a workout.

Would I recommend them? Absolutely! They are at least worth trying at this price - perhaps you'll be like me and find they do the job for you. Compared to many sticks/poles out there they are a bargain.

I'm 17 stone and I do put a lot of weight through a single stick when going up steep slopes so they have proved well enough made.

I'd suggest that you make the height adjustment between the two adjustable points to avoid overextending one joint. They can get a bit flexed if you have one section at full extension, although when you use the spring system you don't notice any bowing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hiking Poles, 15 Feb 2012
D. Lawrence (England) - See all my reviews
These are EXCELLENT value for the money! Get two, as one works out ú5 dearer! Very well made and the shock absorber function can be turned on or off with a slight twist! The shock absorber really does make a difference though (it's a spring inserted into the shaft which lessens any jarring as you walk - a bit like a car shock absorber!)

I wanted a walking stick that looked a bit more 'flash' than your average folding walking stick; and this stick fits the bill ideally!

Don't be put off by the instructions printed on the pole; no one will notice it!

Order two now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent poles at great value, 11 Sep 2012
Back in the spring I did my knee in whilst doing the Snowdon Horseshoe. Some kind bloke lent me his walking poles and with the help of these I managed to hobble off the mountain. Until this experience I'd been pretty snobby about walking poles, but I confess: "I have seen the error of my ways and am now a true believer".

A pair of poles were thus high on my wishlist for summer hols in the Scottish Highlands. Since I was on a limited budget I thought I'd give these poles a go. They saw lots of action, and performed very well, helping me tackle long, strenuous hikes around coast, lochs, and several hardcore Munros.

The sticks proved easy to extend and collapse, are pretty light but strong, have helpful height markings and seem reasonably well made. The only obvious difference with more expensive poles is that the handles are made of rather a hard plastic. Despite this I never experienced even a hint of a blister. Another downside is that after frequent collapsing and extending - often of wet poles - the height markings are now almost completely rubbed off.

In summary, these are light yet sturdy poles which perform their job well. And at a fraction of the price of some other poles, they are great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Service - great product, 18 April 2012
2 x Antishock Sticks

I was recently diagnosed with debility and needed a walking aid. Being very new to the world of sticks, I researched the market carefully. A-Express seem to be getting very good reviews and the sticks were of a modern design. I know it sounds vain, but I guess it is always a shock on can never prepare for.
Following my order, they arrived within two days and in great condition. The anti-shock system made them very comfortable to use and kind to the upper limbs. They have given me more confidence in my outings and look great.
One of them developed a squeak, which I found embarrassing in the office. A-Express replaced it for me, before I had the chance to e-mail them.
As a company they have been very polite and professional in their communications and have displayed very high standards of customer care skills.

Drop them a line and they will surprise you at how quick they are to reply (unlike some other larger than life organisations).

I give them 5 stars, because there is not a 6 stars award.

2.0 out of 5 stars Original type not very durable but design has been improved, 12 Sep 2013
I bought a pair of these poles in September 2012. They cost a lot less than expensive leading brands but they are not as light and the original poles weren't durable enough for me. The instructions are printed on the pole together with claims that they are "Outstanding mountaineering staff for hiking on rugged terrain" and "Tough tested on the mountains of the world".

I used them for about 12 days hill and mountain walking over 10 months. After opening and closing them each day, one of the poles developed a fault and one of the telescopic sections could not be tightened. You have to tighten them firmly enough to make them grip properly and this pulls against a nut that is screwed onto a soft aluminium stud. The thread stripped, then the nut and washer came off and rattled around inside the pole, so that the pole was useless. Not well engineered.

I took a close-up photo of the stripped thread and sent it to the supplier. I had had the poles for under 12 months and they sent me a replacement promptly. The replacement pole looks almost identical to the original type but the locking mechanism looks like a better design. Here is how to tell the difference;

The original type where the aluminium thread can strip has the scale on the centre section marked in centimetres from 110cm to 135cm. The newer and improved design has the scale on the centre section marked in millimetres from 1100 to 1350. I would give the original centimetre type no stars but I think the new type with the millimetre scale deserves 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sticks, 26 July 2012
I bought these sticks after reading other's reviews and am glad that I did. They are great value for money and worked really well. They certainly saved my knees and helped with walking up and down steep hills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 30 May 2013
These are brilliant, with a shock absorbing quality to them, they are brilliant for the price, I would recommend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hubby needs for dog walking!, 14 Jun 2014
Mrs. julie sparshatt "juspa" (Aberdeenshire Scotland) - See all my reviews
Arrived quickly, hubby only uses one for walking, we keep one in each car!
He uses it daily, it is helpful for his bad knee!
We only just noticed today that the top has a compass, which is fun to use!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic walking sticks, 18 May 2014
brilliant walking sticks me and the wife bought these as we were going to walk the three peaks an absolute godsend going up hill and coming down hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
Very good product great to use .

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›