on 22 November 2011
The product is easy to insert. This is the ultimate accessory for a Mac that has a faulty or non responsive optical drive. The HDD Caddy from Bipra is the preferable one because it is almost identical to the standard optical drive. because the caddy takes up the same amount of space as the standard optical drive there is less accumulation of dust compared with other HDD Caddys'. This product works on a MBP Late 2008 if anyone is looking for that info.
on 8 May 2012
Feels a bit flimsy but not a bad product. It fits well and does its job in my 13" Late 2011 MBP.
on 2 August 2011
This product is not 100% Macbook Pro Compatible. I have a MBP 13" early 2011. There were no instructions included (I used a guide at ifixit). To install this was quite tricky and required removing a piece of plastic from the hard drive enclosure (shown already detached in the product picture). Also the enclosure doesn't have the screw holes necessary to secure the enclosure to the inside of the MBP case.
Unlike the other reviewer mine run at SATA 3gbps, this was fine for the 5400rmp drive that I installed (I have an SSD in the main hard drive bay at SATA 6 gbps). I think that Apple (and others) may put the optical drives on slower SATA ports, so the bottleneck doesn't seem to be this enclosure.
I was able to get this installed and working first try, and there is no loose movement inside the case (despite the missing screws). It does the job well and for the price is a bargain.
on 28 June 2012
Installed it on my unibody macbook late 2008. The package did not have any installation guide, so i had to use ifixit guide.

So far I haven't any more objection to it. I installed it by my self in 5 minutes.

It fitted perfectly on my macbook.
on 7 December 2012
Got a friend (Apple Genius) to help me install an OCZ Vertex 4:
OCZ VTX4-25SAT3-256G 256GB Vertex 4 SATA III-6Gb/s 2.5 Inch Internal SSD

in my late 2011 13" MBP optical bay with one of these the other day.

Only issue during installation was one of the side screws which are supposed to hold the SSD in place was too long and interfered with a speaker assembly. However, the caddy has bottom holes to screw the SSD to it and the SSD came with the screws so didn't need the side screws when doing this. It's something to look out for though if your SSD doesn't come with anything.

Good price. Can't complain yet. Enjoying my additional SSD. Not missing my Optical drive.
on 24 April 2014
I had to return this because the connectors are wrong for my late 2008 MacBook Pro, in spite of the information provided.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2012
I bought this to house a hard drive, after installing an SSD into my Macbook.

The install should have been relatively easy. Removing the old DVD drive was fairly involved, but the rest was fairly trivial. However, I managed to mess up the install, (tip, make sure the sata cable is still connected to the logic board at the other end). I Guess my only criticism here would be the fact that it is only attached by one screw, but it seems to be held in well enough.

Once installed, my hard-drive appears like any other hard-drive. Nice and easy. (Another tip, write an Applescript to unmount the hard-drive when you are not using it. This saves energy, and makes the computer run silently.)
on 1 September 2011
poor quality plastic caddy
doesn't fit well in a macbook pro 15"
can't handle full sata speed
you'd better pay few £ more for a better quality, actually that's what I'll do
on 10 September 2013
Second picture is a complete lie / fabrication, the shipped product came with a solid edge panel so unable to connect my bezel. Also 3mm too narrow so rattled around in the laptop's bay so the harddrive would only last a couple of days before breaking. So do not buy as not really as advertised. Should of spent the £15 pounds to get a tramp to punch me in the balls, would of been money better spent.

0 stars, avoid at all costs
on 11 January 2012
Received promptly. The product is a little flimsy, but works in my dad's new Vaio, and my hp dv5 1030. The vaio wants to "see" the original bay as drive c, so when doing a system restore, remove the original drive, restore, then install the old drive which has been formatted. Other than that speed I haven't tested, because the ssd i installed is as fast as i need. The original drive face just snaps on to the tray.