5.0 out of 5 stars What is there to say?
This item was selected simply because it appeared to be the only model produced in that screen size with a built-in DVD player. It was available immediately from Amazon, whereas it would be on back-order from the usual high-street suspects, and Amazon's price was around £50 cheaper.

It was delivered - two days after ordering - with the efficiency that I now...
Published on 20 Feb. 2012 by R. Conway

2.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba 22DL833B - NOT a "bedroom" TV
This may be a wonderful TV but be warned - if you purchase one, as I did, as a TV for your bedroom and want to wall mount it, you can't!...It must be the only TV in the known universe that doesn't support the VESA mounting or any other mounting system. There simply isn't any screw holes in the back cover to secure a mounting plate to.
Also, there isn't a warning on...
Published on 13 Aug. 2011 by best of 59

5.0 out of 5 stars What is there to say?, 20 Feb. 2012
R. Conway - See all my reviews

It was delivered - two days after ordering - with the efficiency that I now expect from Amazon, exactly in the middle of the one hour time slot promised.

I opened the box, plugged it in, it self-tuned and proceeded to work perfectly. It does what it says on the tin. Prior to ordering I had spottedd a couple of reviews that had criticised aspects of the sound quality or the minutiae of the image reproduction. What's that all about? It's a telly, not the space shuttle! Get a life! To my untutored eye it does exactly what a TV is supposed to do; the picture and sound are miles better than the TV it replaced, and I had thought that the old one was pretty good. I think this is good product and I am perfectly happy with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba 22DL833B - NOT a "bedroom" TV, 13 Aug. 2011
Also, there isn't a warning on the outer packaging that this unit isn't suitable for wall mounting so you would have the packaging open and the unit out of the box before you realise the problem - which may cause difficulties when returning the set to the retailer?
Can't comment on performance etc, it's going straight back to where it came from!!

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 8 Sept. 2011
J. Ingram - See all my reviews
Prompt delivery and excellent packaging. This TV replaces my deceased 11 year old model. The automatic tuning and built in DVD player, vastly reduces the cables necessary for my old set. All in all, I am delighted.

4.0 out of 5 stars good value tv., 2 Jan. 2012
A. V. Bourn (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba 19DL833B 19-inch Widescreen HD Ready LED TV and Built-in DVD Player with Freeview (Electronics)
Got this Toshiba for the bedroom and have to say it fits the bill very well. good picture quality once you adjust the initial settings, and dvd playback is also of good quality. Sound, as always with flat screen tv's is only lo-fi, but add external speakers (pc type work well) and you will have a very entertaining set up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed not wall mountable, 26 Feb. 2012
S. Sinclair (UK) - See all my reviews
You would think that in the 21st Century all flat screen TV's would be wall mountable!
But no the Toshiba 22DL833B 22-inch is not wall mountable. There was not mention of this fact in the product specification.
I returned this product to Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba 22DL833 Review. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, 31 Aug. 2011
I've had the 22inch Toshiba DL833 for two months now, so here's my verdict...
Picture Quality: *****5 Stars, Overall: ***3 Stars
First, the good news. The picture quality is very good. Colours are bright, and because of the LED backlighting, this TV has a lovely quality, so much so that it almost looks as bright and sharp as a CRT image. There is a bit of backlight bleed in the upper left, but not so much that it hampers the image.
Because i am using this TV in an office where I move around a lot, I wanted a TV with a good angle of vision. The Toshiba is excellent at acute angles, certainly far better then most other TVs of this size.
Sound is the usual tinny quality for a small TV. I just wish TV manufacturers would learn from Apple and invest in some decent speakers - the latest iMacs are as thin as this TV yet give a stunning bass sound. I connect the TV to an ipod dock if I want beefier sound.
The USB media player is good. AVIs and mp4s play fine (If a file has an m4v file extension, change the extension to mp4 and the Toshiba will play it). HD files played from a USB drive look superb.
Now the bad news. The DVD player will not play DVD-Rs. It will either fail to play them at all, or play them with a video stutter. Toshiba technical support claimed this TV does not support this disc and said my discs were probably not finalised or did not have proper menu structures, which simply isn't the case. My DVD-Rs work perfectly in 7 other devices (including Panasonic, Samsung, Sony and apple devices). They are various makes of DVD-R (Sony, TDK, Imation) and burnt on 3 different devices. So its quite amazing that not one of my discs will play correctly in the Toshiba.
The vast majority of modern dvd players will play all disc formats, so I can only assume that Toshiba have used a very cheap laser pick up on this device.
I now play my DVD-Rs on this TV from a 2 year old Samsung DVD connected via HDMI. Not only does the Samsung play every single one of my DVD-Rs faultlessly, it also gives a noticeably better image then the built in DVD player when playing normal DVDs. It's a bit annoying that I have to play DVD-Rs through a second player, one of the deciding factors for buying this TV over other TVs was the ease of having an all in one TV/DVD.
Toshiba Technical support also claimed to have no knowledge of this device supporting DIVX yet it clearly states it does on page 41 of the manual. I tried to get technical support to explain how DIVXs play through the dvd player if it will not play DVD-R formatted discs, but got no answer.
The TV has some lip synch issues with certain Freeview channels. This usually occurs about 10mins after switch on and can be up to a 1sec delay between sound and picture. The problem has been logged with Toshiba so may be addressed with a firmware update, but I doubt it.
The remote control is the most unresponsive I have ever used. You can press a button 4 or 5 times directly in front of the TV and nothing will happen, other times it will work first time.
Such a shame, because the picture is about the best I have seen on a TV this size. If you are after a tv, and aren't concerned about playing DVD-Rs, DIVxs or getting annoyed with an unresponsive remote, then this TV does give a fine picture.
I have to admit I hadn't noted the lack of VESA wall mounts that other reviewers have noted when I bought the TV. I would have been annoyed if I'd wanted to wall mount it. As it is, my TV sits on a shelf - the TV is very light - so it wasn't a problem.

**** UPDATE SEPTEMBER 2013 *****
The TV suddenly failed - after fairly low usage - without any warning 2 years after purchase. Think I'll be avoiding Toshiba products in future.... one star

2.0 out of 5 stars no use in tiled kitchen, 3 Feb. 2012
Barbara P. Todd (scotland) - See all my reviews
bought this for the kitchen, but after about 1/2 hour the sound and picture were out of sync. If you then change the channel, a message comes up saying "service is not available". Sent TV back and got a new one but same happened. Got a new arial, digital cables, and booster but still happened. Called in TV engineer who said this TV is not strong enough to work in a tiled kitchen. So we are stuck with it. Sound very poor even if turned up to full.
Had Toshiba TVs since 1972 and this is the worst yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture....., 9 Sept. 2011
We have a 40inch Toshiba so a small screen for dining room Toshiba was the choice. Great little tele,only drawback is you cannot affix it to the wall - probably because it incorporates a dvd machine. But hey it sits nicely on my cabinet!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor - not good enough to be called a Toshiba, 8 Sept. 2011
I haven't bought one of these TVs but I installed a new aerial feed and set one up a few days ago...

As others have pointed out, the remote control is slow and requires stupidly accurate aim. The control itself is also badly laid out with many stupidly small buttons - this is a common fault but worth pointing out.

The picture quality is abysmal out of the box and I had to turn off power saving and select maximum backlight illumination to get anything like a decent picture.

The range of settings is poor, for instance, there is a red-green balance but what are you supposed to do if there is too much blue? The answer is you will have to live with it. There are three colour temperatures to choose from but only cool renders white as white.

The firmware is just about as poor as I have ever come across (although an earlier Toshiba TV/DVD I tried last year was even worse). For instance, if you don't like the now-and-next program guide option, that's just tough because it won't remember other settings. And although the signal quality meter seems to work, the signal level always reads maximum (even when it is weak).

Overall, this TV does not deserve the Toshiba name - you can probably buy something better with a name no one has ever heard of. And just when you thought this review couldn't get any worse - I can tell you that it even makes a slight noise when it's on standby (but not loud enough to stop you sleeping).

If Toshiba upgrades the firmware, replaces the remote control and adds further picture settings (to sort out issues such as excess blue) then this would probably be a decent TV, but as it stands, it is nowhere near good enough. The only redeeming feature is the sound is ok for a small TV (once the equalizer is adjusted).

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 April 2012
This is the worst tv I have ever bought. I decided to buy an LED tv for a bright picture. The screen is dark with details lost in the shadows despite turning the LED effect to maximum. The poor picture quality is positively brilliant when compared to the sound quality which is tinny beyond belief. I have had to purchase external speakers to avoid being driven mad by the unbearable sound from the set. I have had some very good products from Toshiba in the past but this is a real turkey.