4.0 out of 5 stars A review from someone who actually owns the album!
Published on 4 Jun 2012 by me3101

3.0 out of 5 stars Been here before
When i saw this was being released I was a bit surprised as, firstly it was only one disc and secondly, nearly every track appears on the far better, echoes collection. This is apparently to make people aware that Pink Floyd's back catalogue has been remastered again.
Published on 7 Nov 2011 by Mr. R. G. Prizeman

3.0 out of 5 stars Been here before, 7 Nov 2011
Mr. R. G. Prizeman "Dickie 1" (croydon UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Foot in the Door: The Best Of Pink Floyd [2011 - Remaster] (Audio CD)
So my copy arrived, I have to say a good job has been done on the remastering not to loud and it is faithful to the Pink Floyd legacy, however to be honest there is very little difference in sound quality to this set and the previous Echoes best of collection. The tracks are mainly from Dark side and Wish you were here (nothing from meddle,animals or anything before atom heart mother apart from one single See Emily Play) and I personally think any new fan would be better off buying Dark side of the moon and Wish you were here.
The booklet is just four pages no track details words or recording history very sparse,and again an awful paper cardboard sleeve which is very tight and is almost impossible to get the CD out, if EMI or other record companies are going to do this can't they put an inner sleeve in, then it might be a vinyl replica, as since when did records ever get issued without a inner sleeve. This rating I based on the value of this collection, not the music which for me is timeless.

4.0 out of 5 stars A review from someone who actually owns the album!, 4 Jun 2012
One of my biggest complaints about the Amazon review system (which generally is an invaluable tool) is allowing people who do not own a product to review it. This is especially problematic with music reviews, where certain individuals use the review section to post their views on the artists themselves or what they see as their commercial politics. This is very frustrating when it comes to making a balanced view about the product itself.

This album is a very good case in point. I have read so may reviews about the legitimacy or otherwise of releasing a 'best of' album at this juncture in Pink Floyd's career, that it has been very difficult to a establish the value of the album itself. Hence, I held off from writing a review, until I actually owned the album itself. As with many others I suspect, I own all the music on the album already, so I was not prepared to pay 'full' price for it, but found it recently at a more reasonable price, so was happy to pick it up to see how the compilation fares. After all, that is what it is, a compilation of songs widely available elsewhere but packaged together and remastered. On that basis, it is not a worthless exercise, in my opinion, providing the cost is reasonable.

The first point to make about the product is the packaging. I have become a fan of the slip case packaging, as it reminds me of the old LP covers, which were often real works of art. I would happily see all cds released in this format personally, for a number of reasons, not least that they take up less space and are I assume more economic and environmentally friendly to produce. The artwork, as always with Pink Floyd, is brilliant, the only shame being it is, of course, difficult to make out the detail on such a relatively small item. The booklet inside is only 3 double sided pictures inside, which whilst interesting could I think have been so much more. Incidentally, the picture of the booklet in the 3rd Amazon photo on this site is not the one which belongs with this album, it is (bizarrely) the booklet from the DSOM Experience edition! I like the packaging generally and would give that 5 stars easily.

As far as the songs go, there are really only 14, as tracks 3/4 plus tracks 15/16 are both really two parts of the same song. Of the 14, in my mind 8 are bona fide classics (Happiest Days/Another Brick, Wish You Were Here, Time, Money, The Great Gig, Comfortably Numb, Shine On and Brain Damage/Eclipse and I don't think anyone could argue about their inclusion on any 'Best Of' compilation. Incidentally, Brain Damage/Eclipse was not on the earlier 'Echoes' compilation mentioned in a number of reviews for this album, which I think was an inexcusable omission. Of the others, you could make arguments for their inclusion but likewise could make arguments for probably at least another 20 songs if not more. I am not a great fan of the post Roger Waters numbers (High Hopes and Learning To Fly) and find the inclusion of 'Have A Cigar' particularly surprising, given the vocal was not even by a member of the band!

However, that all said, there is more than enough of a taster here for anyone with a passing interest in Pink Floyd to dip their toe in the water with (or put their foot in the door maybe). As many have said here, if you like what you find on this album, get Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here next and begin a fabulous journey of discovery...

4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but fine toe in the waters of Floyd, 14 Nov 2011
Reviewers are asking - not unreasonably - "what is the point of this album?" As a number of people have pointed out: if it's a Floyd compilation you're after, then the decade-old (eek!) 2CD set Echoes contains almost twice as much music. And now it's been deleted - ho hum!

I think I may have the answer to the question though: this is a compilation for Alice.

Alice is the name of my delightful ex. She worshipped Radiohead and Blur. My liking for 70s prog largely mystified her, though. However she `got' the Floyd - or at least Dark Side of the Moon (a sort of 70s OK Computer) and Piper at the Gates of Dawn (heartily ransacked on Blur's Parklife album).

If I had slipped the Echoes compilation into her Christmas stocking she would have stalled at Set the Controls and the eponymous Echoes. She would have yawned theatrically at relative makeweight Marooned. A Foot in the Door would have worked perfectly, though. There are no deep-space freakouts (which I personally adore) and a focus on the concise accessible gems from Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and The Wall (the selfsame albums getting the fullest reissue push. Draw your own conclusions)

Shockingly, only See Emily Play remains on board from the Syd Barrett era - potential Alices may wish to supplement this compilation with Floyd's classic 1967 debut album Piper at the Gates of Dawn - a non-stop psychedelic tea party of literate whimsy and only one deep space freak out...

So, if it's a career overview you're after, then seek out the splendid Echoes compilation. However, Foot in the Door is an all-killer-no-filler compilation for the cautious beginner and the driver that craves a swift succession of musical knockout punches on their car stereo. The title sums up its strengths nicely - to mix metaphors it dips a cautious toe in Floydian water. It answers the marketers' current rhetorical question "Why Pink Floyd?" with a concise answer: "It's the songs, stupid!"

4.0 out of 5 stars New to the Floyd? Get your foot in the door here..., 11 Nov 2011
If you own most or all of Pink Floyd's albums, you don't need this 'Best Of...'.

If you own the 'big three' - 'Dark Side...' Wish...' and 'The Wall' you don't need this 'Best Of...'

I won't be buying it, because I have all the tracks already. I don't need it .

However...

If you're new to the sonic pleasures of Pink Floyd and are after a flavour of what all the fuss is about, or a casual fan who simply wants some of their finest moments all on one disc, then this compilation is for you.

The track selection is first class, leaning towards their 70's heyday output that will hopefully whet your appetite to explore their more experimental catalogue.

Naysayers can moan (with some justification) about flogging the same old songs again and again, but they're really missing the point of this compilation; These musical gems are simply an entry-level taster to some (not all) of the highlights of a remarkably long and varied recording career.

If this album opens up the brilliance of Pink Floyd to a new generation of listeners, then surely that's a good thing, isn't it?

3.0 out of 5 stars distinctly average, 1 Nov 2012
R. Murray (Brighton) - See all my reviews
I can't decide if this CD is a rip-off or not. If like me you have a real soft spot for pre-Dark Side Pink Floyd (Meddle, Atom Heart Mother etc) this is a real disappointment. There's too much emphasis on a couple of mid-70s albums with little emphasis on albums before that. If you have the Pink Floyd catalogue already, you don't need this. If you're looking for a "best of", I'd buy Echoes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nicely mixed, 27 Mar 2012
I managed to get this for just over a fiver as I wanted to see if there is any discernible sound difference.At that price this CD is worth a listen if you have a decent system-the sound is alot clearer and there is some spine tingling mxing: money into comfortably numb into high hopes for example. I have all the last set of remasters and have been highly sceptical about repurchasing but having had a listen to this CD I am thinking about getting one or two as there are alot of really useful reviews on this new set of remasters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal to keep in the glovebox..., 26 Sep 2012
R. Wragg - See all my reviews
I am a lover of the music of Pink Floyd and already own all the tracks on this album in one format or another but I bought this compilation to keep in the car so I wouldn't need a bagful of disks if I found myself in the mood for a little Floyd. And I find that I'm in the mood regularly now that most of my favourite Floyd music is at hand in one convenient package.
As has been pointed out by other reviewers, the track selection is biased towards numbers from particular albums but for me that is irrelevant as apart from two tracks, Us And Them and Echoes, all my favourites are there and every one oozes class and sophistication that is the hallmark of Pink Floyd.
I was a little disappointed that the album comes in a cardboard sleeve rather than a jewel box but the packaging is adequate and has the advantage of occupying the barest minimum of space in the glovebox.
Overall for me this is a perfect way to get my Floyd fix when I'm out and about. Buy it and turn up the volume.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy the Echoes Compilation, 26 Dec 2011
C. Matchett (York England U.K) - See all my reviews
It is a relatively simple matter, this compilation is pointless, it misses out some brilliant songs from Animals, Meddle and Saucerful of Secrets. If you want to actually find out what Pink Floyd are about, buy the Echoes compilation ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Echoes-Best-Pink-Floyd/dp/B00005QDW5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324909100&sr=8-2 ). It's far better in both value for money and more "best of".

This compilation doesn't even include Echoes (the song), which the band itself admitted to being what they viewed as their best song at the peak of their musical ability.

For any long term Pink Floyd fans, just look at the tracklist and you'll realise that this is pointless.

3.0 out of 5 stars A throwaway purchase... not worth it... too barebones for me..., 8 Nov 2011
John J. Martinez (Chicago, Illinois, United States) - See all my reviews
I'm really angry about this trying and "review" this album.

Yes, it is all totally remastered music, and yes, the price is nice, but can you remaster my mind to buy such a barebones collection?

I love this band. They stand (or at least once stood) for individuality and straightforward rock with so many deep levels of messages in their music it was a wonderful experience.

What is getting me so steamed up (and so upset) is that this is one of the best 60's/70's prog bands to stand next to such rock giants as Led Zeppelin and the Doors, and (until the last few years) have never released more than two much better done "greatest hits" albums.

This "collection" is insulting to any potential Pink Floyd fan who knows them for only a few songs, and is even more insulting for the hardest of fans.

The majority of this album is made up of either songs "The Wall" or "Dark Side Of The Moon," and these two albums - wonderful as they are for their own special and unique reasons - do not define the Pink.

Yes, there are a few cuts from their early days - "See Emily Play" has always been a mind-blower on it's own - but to totally gloss any selections from over the wonderful albums "Meddle" or "Animals" hurts me personally as they showed the world they were not just a group of guys who just played psychadelica, but made insightful, controlled and massively entertaining musical works that were evocative in so many ways that it has changed the way many bands have approached their works since.

However, if I wanted "The Wall" and "Dark Side Of The Moon" I would have bought them separately, or I would have bought one of the best collections by them, "Echoes," which can be found here on Amazon for half the price and has twice the content and gives you a better timeline of who the Pink really are.

I wanted to give you the tracklist, but you know most of the songs here, and if you are even the lightest of fans, you've got most of this music anyway!

I feel bad that "the three remaining members hand chose these selections," as it's measly as a sampler and low on their real content that hasn't been put out there many times before.

Shame on them.

(Thanks for reading, and please don't leave a vote or comment if you liked it or not.)

3.0 out of 5 stars A review for the NEW-COMERS to Pink Floyd, 28 Nov 2011
Mr Paul Savory (Wrexham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The music is 5 stars but for this package: tracks chosen from Floyd's catalogue and packaging, One Foot In The Door for me is 2 or 3 stars only.
I have been a Floyd fan since 1980. This review is help you decide whether or not to buy this introduction to an absolutely fabulous band.
For starters this compilation is not that well put together. 16 track in all. 4 x The Wall (about a quarter of the 2LP set); 3x Wish You Were Here (half the LP time wise, basically); 5x Dark Side Of The Moon (half the LP again). What would have been nice for the nubies and the established fans should have been the inclusion of Another Brick 2 single version.
Anyway, I wonder how many new-comers have bought this cd in the age of downloading. I would not be surprised if it is just 11.5 people in the whole of the UK !!
Sorry, getting side tracked. Yes there are Floyd classics: Comfortably Numb, half of Shine On You Crazy Diamond - wait til you get your paws on Parts 6 -9. The songs that are radio friendly: Money, Time, Wish You..., Learning To Fly, High Hopes, Another Brick...2, Great Gig... and of course See Emily Play. The one track that does not really fit here is The Fletcher Memorial Home. Again, for both old and new, why not use the single version of Not Now John, "Stuff All That...".
If you buy this compilation be prepared to either buy Dark Side of the Moon and/or Wish You Were Here. Due to the editing on this disc it is not a good idea to download the missing tracks - what an intro to Time and you don't get it on here.

The Floyd are soooo important in the history of rock but if you can get Echoes - the best of, that is a better starting point. Finally, the packaging on this disc by Floyd standards is minimal. You could have hours of fun on t'internet gathering pictures, album covers etc.

Thanks for reading.