4.0 out of 5 stars Echoes of Unbelievable Truth
I have recently discovered The Pineapple Thief - I purchased All The Wars on a whim, having listened to the samples on Amazon. And I was hooked immediately, yet I have still been taken by surprise; not only did I become an instant convert, but TPT's most recent album (and, it would seem, ALL their music) still grows on me.
10 Stories Down is the third of my TPT...
Published 21 months ago by stepfordhusband

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire
This has to be one of the poorest albums it has ever been my misfortune to hear. I am not sure if its a case of majore self indulgence or they are just taking the michael.

You would scarcely compare them with the greats of Prog Rock, but belong more in the depression catagory, along with James Blunt & the Verve.
Published on 30 July 2012 by Catfish Knight

4.0 out of 5 stars Echoes of Unbelievable Truth, 3 Jun. 2013
This review is from: 10 Stories Down (Audio CD)
10 Stories Down is the third of my TPT purchases, and I continue to be impressed. It is often a risk taking a big step back into a band's back catalogue, but in this case, 10 Stories Down did not result in a long drop. TPT are fast becoming a new favourite band.
When my partner overheard Someone Here is Missing (my second TPT purchase) he commented on the similarities to Thom Yorke's solo effort, and I would concur, to some extent. However, I soon became aware of a more appropriate comparison for 10 Stories Down in another member of the Yorke clan. From the album opener, Prey for Me, I was taken back to the days of first hearing Unbelievable Truth (Andy Yorke's band). Indeed I would go so far as to describe TPT as Unbelievable Truth's spiritual successor.
The Radiohead comparisons elsewhere are not inappropriate, but for those familiar with Unbelievable truth, and who feel that Andy Yorke's contributions to music are sadly missed, you may have just found your new muse. Bruce Soord's beautiful vocal is more in line with the younger Yorke brother (let's face it, Thom Yorke is rarely easy on the ear), and the music is similarly immediately accessible, yet grows with the same intimacy, becoming more compelling with each listen.
If you hold Andy Yorke or Unbelievable Truth in high regard, I cannot recommend this to you enough. And 10 Stories Down, whilst perhaps not their best release, is as good a starting point as any other.

5.0 out of 5 stars underated, understated.... phenomenal!, 24 Jan. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: 10 Stories Down (Audio CD)
I was introduced to Pineapple Thief upon the release of 10 Stories down. This is a beautiful album, the closest similarity I can think of would be its familiararity with a both early and modern radiohead sound. Sweeping melodies & beautifully earie vocals from Bruce Swoord makes this one of the best albums of 2005. Unsure why band are not bigger than they are, being their 4th studio album, I caught them live last year in Bristol, and they didnt disapoint! Believe me, this band should be going places, if you're into similar music to me, (such as, radiohead, clap your hands and say yeah yeah, arcade fire, broken social scene, wolf parade) then I suggest you give this album your time... it's worth your time!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best British bands of the noughties, 5 Jan. 2006
This review is from: 10 Stories Down (Audio CD)
Pineapple Thief should be massive. This is their 4th album for the boutique Cyclops label, any of which would be a worthwhile purchase for fans of modern guitar-based rock music.
Bruce Soord sings in a voice reminiscent of Thom Yorke or Billy Corgan. He plays beautiful guitar and writes songs that are powerful and affecting.
Virgin dropped the ball when they elected not to sign this band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem!, 6 Sept. 2011
This review is from: 10 Stories Down (Audio CD)
I was first recommended listening to Pineapple Thief back in 2008 with their Tightly Unwound album and since then have added to my collection with 4 more impressive albums; 3000 Hours, Someone Here Is Missing, Little Man and now 10 Stories Down. What an excellent group and like many others I don't understand why they are not better known? 10 Stories Down is an excellent and a beautiful album. It features both sweeping melodies & fantastic vocals care of Bruce Swoord. This must have been one of the best albums of 2005. This repackaged remix and remaster issued in 2011 also makes this one of the key purchases for 2011. Potential buyers will not be disappointed! Well done Pineapple Thief.

4.0 out of 5 stars Actual music from a proper band, 5 Mar. 2012
This review is from: 10 Stories Down (Audio CD)
Other reviews say what needs to be said. This band should be bigger. Bruce Soord's voice has qualities of both Yorke and Corgan, but has very much his own sound. The songs are high on melody with well crafted and understated lyrics. The musicianship is excellent. Don't be put off by the 'prog' label (don't understand why anyone would be, though!) - this is prog in the way that OK Computer was prog rather than the twiddly-twiddly-diddly-dee of Yes or ELP. Quickly becoming one of my favourite bands and they deserve every success. Give Pineapple Thief a go and they will light up your eyes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire, 30 July 2012
Catfish Knight "Catfish Knight" (Peterborough, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

10 Stories Down
10 Stories Down by Pineapple Thief (Audio CD - 2011)