Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 June 2011
I downloaded this on day of release and have been playing it constantly over the past week. At first I was quite disappointed. I just could not get into it and also felt that at approx 37-38 minutes, it was too short.
However, over the weekend it all started to make sense and I am really enjoying it. I think we have to accept that the band that made the first three outstanding CDs has gone. In its place is a band that have evolved and matured but is still making excellent music.
This CD continues in the same vein as the superb "A New Tide". There is plenty of variation throughout and I find it very uplifting. Highlights are Equalize which probably is the only track that harks back to early Gomez and the very catchy Song In My Heart. Saying that I find it better to play the CD all in one go.
Why not 5 stars? Well I am greedy and would have liked an extra 2 tracks. But hey as I said on my review of "A New Tide" we should be glad that these guys are still around, making great music.
on 1 July 2011
I have been following Gomez since their first album and saw them in Swansea when they claimed that they were not very good at live gigs. I own every album and have now seen almost every UK tour and solo gigs from Ben and Tom, so I have witnessed a band that has grown and finally taken control of their own destiny.
This album is another step, probably the best so far. How We Operate has some wonderful tracks and some superb lyrics, A New Tide is another level again, but this is just sublime. It took me a couple of times to appreciate the nuances and clever twists (as always with Gomez), but I think this is without doubt one of the best albums I have heard for many years. The live performance in Bristol two weeks ago confirmed that they have matured, have confidence in their abilities and can attract a committed discerning audience, most of whom knew every word of the older tracks..this is a band with a loyal following, new ideas and bursting with creativity...and Olly Peacock must be the best British drummer, ranking up there with Baker, Bruford and Collins.
on 14 June 2011
Bought this for my boyfriend who is a massive fan. I've always liked them but never really loved them. This album has changed my opinion totally. I've bought a copy myself and have not had this album out of the cd player in my car since. Great summer tunes for driving with the windows down. Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on 17 July 2011
With being a big fan of Gomez since day one i have been anticipating the release of this album for a while now. Upon first listen to this album the first thing i thought was its a bit too polished without a live feel to it and nothing really stood out. This didnt put me off though as with alot of Gomez albums they need a bit of time dedicating to them to explore the different layers and soundscapes.

After a few listens I began to notice a some of the songs were catching my ear, particularly "The Place And The People". After a dozen or so listens the album really began to shine, even some of the slower songs I was singing along to. One thing thats apparent is the strength of the backline in this album. I dont think ive heard Olly and Blacky sound as tight and working in harmony on anything previous.

The only thing holding me back from giving this album 5 stars is I still feel as though Gomez have lost that ambitious, experimental edge like their early albums. The experimentalism is still there, but its very subtle and tucked into the background. But overall, with a bit of time given to it... it is a pleasureable listen and one of their strongest albums in a long time.
on 9 June 2011
This is not the greatest album of all time, but it is an extremely good seventh product of a long journey.

Gomez first won a place in the popular consciousness through albums they recorded when they were very young and seemed to be having the time of their lives. They were not the sort obviously destined to make it big, but appeared in the mainstream as the result of an unexpected Mercury Music Prize win. I encountered them at seventeen, just after I had spent the money from my weekend job on buying an over-expensive cassette Walkman. A silver one no less, beautifully designed to seem far more advanced than the tapes I could feel it move around on at the end of each side. It beeped in my ears every time I pressed one of the buttons set into its front. That's right, the buttons were on the front where you just wouldn't expect them. It beeped.

The buy was to make up for what I thought was a yawning vaccuum of musical knowledge at my core; the only influences I remember being subjected to by my parents were Elvis love songs, Christian Rock and the occasional NOW! album. At the time it seemed to be that normal teenage boys were supposed to like Oasis, Blur, The Prodigy or the newly resurgent Beatles. That was pretty much the extent of the chatter in my corner of the Home Counties, where television, Radio 1 and Chris Evans ruled from on high. In that context, Gomez's first, 'Bring It On', was an exciting discovery and became one a few tapes I had on constant rotation. I didn't have many tapes of course, because the walkman had cost so much. My attempt at widening my horizons had stumbled. The Walkman was silver though. It beeped.

A student loan later that year suddenly made me a man cheerfully spending my future self's means; before long I had invested in a Minidisc Walkman, continuing my trend of admiring the soon to be thought pointless. This one didn't even beep, but it was shiny and sprung open in earnest. I also went a little bit too far on 3 for 2 CD deals at HMV using of all things, Q Magazine as my guide. Time and money could have been saved through meeting someone as keen, yet more savvy than me. The Internet of 2011 personified perhaps. Nonetheless, no matter what music has come along since, I have followed Gomez (to the confusion of some) and cherished the glimmers of that joy in creation they once wore effortlessly as their career had exploded into life. They were only glimmers, as they seemed to be aiming at slightly different sound once UK interest and investment in them faded. Pleasing an audience is one thing, but trying to please America, well, that way creative bankruptcy and deadened eyes can easily lay.

That didn't happen, but this is the first album since 2004's 'Split the Difference' on which the first instinct hasn't been to skip a few of the tracks on account of them feeling painfully twee or using a 'quiet/loud/quiet/loud' structure which crushed the song. There being nothing here worthy of being automatically ditched could be explained by this being the first album since 'In Our Gun' (2002) where they have been given the freedom to largely self-produce. It is far more consistently, joyously 'Gomez', grabs you more than their last album did at first and has plenty of tracks to love. I can't stop listening to 'Equalise' for instance. Others seep into the brain too. At first the production on the title track and 'Our Goodbye' tried my patience: they are simple but touching ballads about real people that don't seem to need orchestral backing (as is evidenced by some live acoustic versions knocking about on video channels). Despite that irritability, I caught myself humming one of them in the kitchen.

They were never exactly avant-garde, but the overall effect of the group having moved toward the more radio friendly is that the creativity is more tightly structured than their early, more woozy stuff. Some might mourn the loss of the free-form tinkerers or mistake it for an attempt at commercial success, but it's just a later incarnation of musicians who have a long history of producing underrated guitar-based albums together. They have endured, unlike my Minidiscs, which sit somewhere in a box, exactly as they were a decade ago but redundant.

I now have an iPhone that chimes, clicks, lacks any semblance of character and needs a good polish just to have a bit of lustre. I also have far broader tastes than I did at seventeen, but if I were reduced to just a few C60 tapes for the next six months then I would be more than happy to have this album on one. The details in the mix and frankness of the lyrics repay repeat listens. Many of those lyrics are especially meaningful if you've ever had the sorts of conversations needed in keeping a long relationship going.

A little like the Walkman I first bought, the format isn't groundbreaking, but the sentiments, design and execution - what they've done within a format - makes it immensely satisfying. It's a nuanced, very shiny, delightfully beeping version of the well established. Surely everyone has a soft spot for shiny-beepy with moving parts. Or is it just me?
44 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2015
Why do we listen to Music? To take us to a time and a place, to soothe, to cajole, to spark & entertain.
Gomez are the friend you will share beer and pizza with, set the world to rights, shout at the telly, have a cuddle and a laugh.
Musically, this is as relaxed as always - 'Whatever's on you Mind' as soothing as a foot rub with a cup of tea, 'Options' is sparky with attitude and that familiar Gomez guitar sound.Perfect for late nights and Sunday afternoons, the world is suddenly not so s*** after listening to this.
I bought this after wearing out 'Abandoned Shopping Trolley Hotline' and hankering for more recent Gomez offerings.
Highly recommended and a good dose of feelgood Gomez.
on 17 August 2013
Bring it on, showed just what this band could produce. Unfortunately their following albums left me a little disappointed.
Was reluctant to try this new offering, but so pleased i did.
This latest offering is simply stunning. All the Gomez nuances are there, and its beautifully produced.
Its a real grower, at first i thought yes....that`s better...... hear it a few times and it becomes addictive

Well done Gomez, this album is my album of the year so far.
on 10 June 2011
Short but very sweet. Gomez can be a little leftfield for some but I believe most will find joy in this latest album. Lots of variability in the songs but not so much you lose the plot and the melodies keep coming...I admit it I'm biased; I love this band; but I think that you should give this a try, really I do...
on 18 February 2014
You know what I've loved about this band from their very first album?
It's always seemed to me like they've known exactly how they wanted to sound and the end result - singles, album tracks or b-sides - has always been unique to them.
on 6 November 2011
This is a strong album from Gomez. It doesn't have the excitement of their first 3 albums, but it's full of strong songs and if you enjoyed their last few albums, you'll enjoy this too.