5.0 out of 5 stars "Jah bring I joy in the morning..."
Published on 3 Jun 2011 by L. Kelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Wasnt too happy with this CD
Sent for this hoping there would be lots of good tunes on it, not to my liking some were good and I knew them but most I just skipped past as they just droned on!!!!!!!!!! : (
Published 12 months ago by yvonne

5.0 out of 5 stars "Jah bring I joy in the morning...", 3 Jun 2011
L. Kelly (Cumbria UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trojan Presents: Roots (Audio CD)
An unashamedly populist collection of Jamaican roots reggae circa 1974-79; this release, with its ubiquitous tracks that seem to pop up everywhere, offers absolutely nothing new to reggae collectors and little for anyone who may own more than one Trojan box-set; but as an introductory sampler for the novice newcomer this is really quite impeccable, and is certainly the best all-round retrospective of the period Trojan have ever released. The reason this 2CD set is such a resounding success is that its superb track list features material licensed from other record labels (notice the familiar Island Records logo on the back cover). This album boasts pivotal tracks from Max Romeo, Leroy Smart, Burning Spear, The Congos and Culture; which when combined with Trojan's already heavyweight roster of roots classics (from Johnny Clarke, Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaacs, Jacob Miller et al), makes this compilation a nearly-definitive account of the genre...or as near as a 2CD set is ever going to get.

Every major stylistic trait of the roots reggae era is covered on this album very satisfactorily: the shuffling, skanking early-reggae grooves (Junior Byles' "CURLY LOCKS"); the upbeat and exuberantly melodic (Bobby Melody's "JAH BRING I JOY"); the mystical, brooding and deep (Burning Spear's "INVASION"), the tough, militant "rockers" style (Leroy Smart's "BALLISTIC AFFAIR"); there's even some sublime examples of surreal dub remixing with The Congos' and Burning Spear tracks presented in their 6-minute extended versions with dub conclusions.

The mastering quality throughout is pretty-much faultless; though George Nooks' "TRIBAL WAR", seems to have a mix which only comes out of one channel (this is only a very noticeable problem while listening on headphones, however). The booklet features a well-written essay on Rastafarianism and reggae music, but does contain some errors in the track notes: Gregory Isaacs' "MR COP", for instance, is produced by Lee Perry and not Jack Ruby as stated. As for the track-listing itself, there are only 2 disappointing aspects to it in my view: the inclusion of the vocal-less dub version of Burning Spear's "Slavery Days" ("I AND I SURVIVE") instead of "Slavery Days" itself (surely would have made more sense to put the dub song on the "Trojan Presents Dub" album rather than this one); and the version of Dennis Brown's "CHILDREN OF ISRAEL", which has some tacky overdubbed synthesizer lines and a new beat, leaving it virtually unrecognizable from the original recording.

Anyway, that still leaves 38 absolutely crucial and "ital" recordings from reggae's glory days to revel in, for a budget price. Forget the cynical "heard-it-all-before" mentality and rejoice in the power of the "popular". After all they're popular because they're good. Jah bless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Nov 2012
I. C. Thackray (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trojan Presents: Roots (MP3 Download)
I have other Trojan Presents - Dancehall, Djs, Lovers' Rock, Ragga, Foundation Dub - and I wasn't sure about purchasing "Roots", as I wasn't really sure what they would define as roots music; whereas I know what areas of reggae the other titles cover. However as I have been impressed with the other titles in my collection and I love the reggae genre I decided to add this one to my collection as well. And I am glad I did. This another excellently curated collection of soulful songs that, whilst being relatively commercial, do seem to fall between "Dancehall" and "Lovers' Rock" and hence warrant their own grouping. All the tracks, though not readily recognisable cross over hits, are of the straightforward pop/reggae type though with more substance in the lyrics and generally without reliance on simple hooks. I don't think there are any weak tracks here and a good time span has been covered. In all I would say if you like reggae but feel you have a fairly limited knowledge of it and want to venture "a little off the beaten track"(but not into any of the sub-genres), subsequently adding to your collection of reggae tunes then this is an excellent product for just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars As a newcomer to Trojan records, 22 Jun 2012
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Trojan Presents: Roots (Audio CD)
Reggae is a bit of a specialist genre for me but when the right track comes on, it is the most delicious sound imaginable. Many in my position face the proposition of the same old tracks that seem to get regurgitated on each and every of the many Reggae compilations out there, of which I have 3 or 4.

Earnestly trying to get into a more authentic stream of reggae - the sort that reggae musicians might listen to, not what the pop-charts and record labels tell us to - I did some research on Amazon.

It is my understanding that Trojan is to reggae what Motown is to soul - a deeply respected movement in its own right. Therefore - and along with the other excellent review here on Amazon, I could do no wrong in purchasing this 40 track compilation - and for about a VERY reasonable fiver.

Since buying it, it hasn't been played as much as it should have, or deserves to be. A few tracks I have heard before and these are always welcome - Max Romeo's 'Chase the Devil' being an excellent example, but generally this is a solidly good and consistent couple of hours plus (I've not timed it) of mellow music that you can either really get into or just let melt away into the background.

Though I cannot (or pretend to) speak with any authority, on either reggae, nor Trojan, this double album really does speak of summer, IF we had a flipping summer in Britain to actually have!

5.0 out of 5 stars great record, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Trojan Presents: Roots (Audio CD)
wow noce to hear this music again its a great record and great tracks and sure to cheer you up

5.0 out of 5 stars great reggae compilation, 10 May 2014
Mr. David Pugh "David Pugh" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trojan Presents: Roots (MP3 Download)
good sound quality and lots and lots of new (to me) stuff covering the roots of the genre. great value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars Going back to my roots...... yeah, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Trojan Presents: Roots (Audio CD)
I grew up listening to the originals and those old 45 and 12ins are well scratched. Thanks Trojan for these classic originals. Doing my ironing is now pure pleasure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back in the dayz!, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: Trojan Presents: Roots (Audio CD)
Tunes that I've grown up on, nice 2 hear them again in their original style...brings back good family memories, that I've cherished!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Roots selection., 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: Trojan Presents: Roots (Audio CD)
CD come very quick. As a lover of reggae music, from the longest time, right through till now. It is good to get some of these tunes that were released on record and were hard to get. So musically, great. The CD case, rubbish, broke easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding quality, 26 May 2013
This review is from: Trojan Presents: Roots (Audio CD)
A superb collection of Roots & Culture classics. Of course many available elsewhere but this is a welcome compilation. Particularly enjoyed Burning Spear tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars great cd, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Trojan Presents: Roots (Audio CD)
Bought as a present for my very difficult to please husband who loves it and plays it all the time

Trojan Presents: Roots