4.0 out of 5 stars Kathy Reichs - writing for teenagers - should appeal to those who enjoy the Maximum Ride books.
More and more famous authors who write for adults are turning their hands to books for teenagers and young adults now, and the results are intriguing. First, we had James Patterson with the Maximum Ride series; then John Grisham with Theodore Boone. Now, Kathy Reichs joins them with her first book for Young Adults - Virals - and the result is intriguing.

Tory...
Published on 15 May 2011 by E. Heckingbottom

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a Young Adult any more
My husband picked this up in the adult section of the local supermarket, whilst he was shopping for cold cures and throat lozenges. He bought it knowing I love Kathy Reichs. And, after the shock of discovering this is aimed at "Young Adults", I did quite enjoy this story. Far-fetched, wholly implausible? Yes,without a doubt. But as a sci fi fairy tale, it wasn't so bad...
Published on 6 Jan. 2012 by Polly Potter

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 July 2011
Not to repeat what others have clearly said, this book should carry a health warning for any adults that might pick it up; it is not age appropriate for them! The plot was all pseudoscience and the characters reminiscent of the Famous Five. Grown ups beware, and I wouldn't recommend it to teens either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Sept. 2014
great read by Kathy Reichs

2.0 out of 5 stars Caveat emptor, 16 July 2011
This review is from: Virals: (Virals 1) (Virals series) (Kindle Edition)
I don't usually read detective stories or murder mysteries or whatever the genre is called these days and the only author I have read to any degree in it is Katy Reichs. To be perfectly honest I cannot even remember why I started reading these books, but I do enjoy them. They are light and a little unconvincing but the science seems sound and the stories are entertaining. The standard started out good and has been slowly dropping but they are still good enough for me to believe that the next one will be worth not just the dosh but the time invested too. I will buy the next Reichs book and I will probably enjoy it, so do I need to read the blurb? Well, probably not. I didn't read the reviews either, though there weren't that many and I honestly simply assumed that this was a book of short stories - don't ask me why. Foolish I now know.

I was a bit surprised by the sudden drop in quality of this book. It started off reasonably OK and I thought that perhaps Reichs was trying a literary trick. I thought at first that she was portraying the teenage girls life through her eyes and that soon she'd be dead and Brennan would be on the case. But no, the style continued and the highly irritating child stayed annoyingly alive. Surely in real life someone would have ended her by now? The book even got more teenagery as the story progressed. lol.

Puzzled I came back to Amazon to see if anyone else thought that this was a drop in quality and bang - what an idiot I'd been - it's a book for teenagers not adults. Doh!

But hang on, where in the blurb does it mention this? The answer is nowhere. Either Amazon or the publisher are being a little naughty here. I can't be the only person who bought this on faith thinking they were getting the usual fare only to be presented with a teenage mutant ninja yarn. Amazon must be aware that this sort of thing goes on and really shouldn't be taking advantage. To not mention in the blurb that this was a foray into the kiddie market is a bit low and I expected more from Amazon. I am somewhat disappointed to find that I have to take what they say with a pinch of salt from now on.

Anyway, I have given this two stars because at my age I can't really judge whether or not this is a good book for teenagers but I suspect it's a bit, well, poor. It's not Harry Potter.

Amazon get one for the dubious sales practices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Nov. 2014
Granddaughter loved it.

2.0 out of 5 stars very uneve, 1 Aug. 2011
Adva Trading Ltd "magnetic bracelets" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Virals: (Virals 1) (Virals series) (Kindle Edition)
After reading Dan Ryan's Ethan and the Devious Doctor (The Ethan and Lexie adventures) and Ethan and the Cryptic Clues (The Ethan and Lexie adventures) I decided to explore thrillers for children (or at least young adults) a bit further. This one is about Tory Brennan, a 14-year-old whose great aunt is a forensic anthropologist. When she and her friends (all boys) discover a shallow grave it's only the beginning of their adventures. However, the story got a bit ridiculous at times and seemed rather uneven. Also, there were some seriously slow moments. This might be acceptable in the first half of a book, but in the second? Was okay, but could have been a lot better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Jan. 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Jan. 2015
Good read

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Aug. 2014
Brilliant

Virals: (Virals 1) (Virals series)