on 21 April 2012
Hooked on photography for about a year now and was willing to upgrade to a canon 60d (£1300) but the guy from glasgow city centre (merchantcitycameras) told me to keep this camera as the technology is very high end and i wouldnt really see a difference. I am very pleased with my purchase and what this man told me as he is a serious professional in this field. Keeping it for another year or two until something new arrives. The only thing that slightly annoys me with this camera is the battery life and the slowish focusing while in movie mode but the batteries can be purchased on ebay/amazon for £10 and are meant to be just as good as the originals which are crazy price.I can live with these minor problems and Cant stop using this camera LOVE IT. Got white BTW :)Highly Recommended Great photos, movie quality :)
on 4 July 2011
After reading about the G3 prior to it's release, I was curious that the decision had been made to further reduce the size from that of the G2. It is, however, a fantastically portable camera that still feels solid and of good quality in the hand. I feel so much more compelled to take this camera out on all my travels as it is small and light enough to keep around the neck all day whereas with my other dslr I'm aching to take it off after a only a short country walk.

With this camera, Panasonic seem to have improved upon almost every aspect vs older models. A 16mp sensor rivals many of the competing cameras from the likes of Canon & Nikon in the same price range. The image noise control makes the camera very useable in low light, and I am loving full HD movie capture! There is a nice feature when using manual mode that allows you to enlarge the subject of your photo when focusing for a sharper image, while it is also possible to touch focus at any point on the camera's lovely fold out LCD screen. Those who are still not sold on touch screen cameras will be pleased to hear that you can get used to it whilst using the buttons, which are well laid out.

There will be something for everyone here - the G3 should appeal to point and shoot users, with an 'intelligent auto plus' mode that gets some great snaps whilst allowing a little freedom of some simpler and some more creative image settings, whereby the casual user can build some confidence to move across to the manual modes. Panasonic have packed the G3 full of plenty of tricks and features, more than enough to keep the more avid photographer busy.

At this stage, the only criticism I have of this camera is that the strap could be a little chunkier, but given the weight of the camera, this is only a small issue.

The G3 is on a par with any entry-mid level SLR camera whilst in a far more practical package.
on 19 August 2011
I was struggling to decide between a Canon EOS 550d and the Lumix DMC-G3 but decided to plump for this based on the a number of factors: (1) lighter and less cumbersome to carry around, (2) easier to use (which is important for my wife), (3) cheaper, (4) better video including auto-focus and the ability to zoom without clunking noise from the lens, (5) moveable screen which can also be closed and protected. I have to say I am very happy with this so far, I have already taken some excellent photos. It is incredibly easy to use straight away using the Intelligent Auto function and the quality of pictures is significantly better than we get from our Canon Ixus compact. Only downsides are: (1) battery performance could be better and (2) replacement lenses are quite expensive but on the whole I can't recommend this enough.
on 19 March 2012
I previously had a Lumix G1 and was always impressed with the pictures from that but this G3 is even better! The kit lenses have improved further is last two years and the increase to 16.1MP in the G3,takes full advantage in my opinion.I am still amazed that such a small camera, at such a reasonable price,manages to produce such good results .The 'face tracking' is very quick and 99.9% of shots taken are spot on even using 'burst' option.
The video too is very sharp and here to the focusing is quick to adjust to movement giving clean results.
Overall I have to say Panasonic have come up with a good all rounder with the G3 and I personally have 3 lenses 14-42mm X, 45-175mm & the 100-300mm which cover most situations. The camera and all 3 lenses fit in the Lumix G series case also purchased via Amazon for £19.99 and is so easy to carry around or take abroad etc.
Five stars from me...enjoy!
on 20 July 2011
I have had tried different cameras in recent years having got frustrated with the bulk and weight of DSLRs yet not wanting to lose image quality. For a while I had a lighter-weight DSLR and I've tried another compact system camera, but that wasn't well sorted and was difficult to use.

The G3 in contrast, is light but strong and solid-felling and it is incredibly easy to use, either in full auto mode or in some variety of manual mode. The photo qualify is terrific but it also benefits from being portable and fast, so shots that might have been missed with another camera get captured with ease.

My increasingly good feedback on Flickr is testimony to the effectiveness of the G3! Overall, this is an outstanding camera and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to take highly quality photos but doesn't want to carry around a couple of house bricks in the shape of a fill-size DSLR and lenses.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
For someone looking to enter micro 4/3 this camera gives you lots of bang for your buck in a very small form factor. The new sensor inside the G3 is excellent - high ISO performance is better than other Panasonic m 4/3 cameras bar the GX1 and on a par with many APS-C DSLRs if you expose carefully. The JPEG engine is quite good, delivering more consistent and neutral colors than previous Panasonic G series cameras and a good trade off between noise reduction and detail retention in high ISO images. Process raw files in ACR, LR or C1 for even more imoressive results if you have the time or the inclination. Autofocus is quick and excellent, face detect works well and the new pinpoint focus system that can be used with the touch screen LCD is superb for macro or landscape work (and can be handy for portraits too). It's very small and neat, not to mention lightweight, compared to most APS-C DSLRs and there is now a stunning range of lenses for micro 4/3 - I highly recommend the Panasonic 20mm, 100-300mm for telephoto and the recently released Olympus 45mm f1.8 for portraits. Using this camera with care I can match or sometimes surpass the results from my considerably bulkier and heavier DSLR system. What's not to like? Not much. Build could be a little sturdier and the resolution of the touch screen LCD (490k) is rather lower than that found on most current DSLRs. Other than that it's great !

How does it compare to the more expensive Panasonic GX1? Well, the G3 appears to be far better value - it offers a more traditional DSLR style body, a built-in EVF, a movable LCD. The GX1 does have some things going for it though: it follows the GF1 tradition of tank like build quality - it's a step up from the G3 and less plasticky in feel; the GX1 has the G3 sensor but Panasonic have tweaked the JPEG engine and raw signal processing - as a consequence, I have found that colours are a bit nicer with the GX1 and high ISO ever so slightly better on the GX1. Autofocus is also slightly faster on the GX1 and the GX1 has a few more manual controls, as well as a nice new feature - a level gauge that you can view on the rear LCD or on the optional EVF, the rarher pricey LVF-2. In my mind the GX1 gives the best stills performance of any current Panasonic micro 4/3 camera, but the G3 gives the most bang for buck and is nearly as good (for movies get the GH2 instead). Want to know more? See my GX1 and LVF-2 reviews here on Amazon !
on 21 July 2011
This camera is quite simply excellent! Having owned a Nikon D90 I wanted a light weight relacement! Having carried out extensive research and looking at the images created by this camera, I purchased a Panasonic G3 from Amazon. I have used it for a few hours and the images are outstanding. The camera is compact robust and well made. If you are not sure what mirrorless camera to buy, don't hesitate and buy a G3!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 27 February 2012
I was initially frustrated by this camera (especially the built in flash) but after using it continuosuly for a couple of months and taking the time to adapt the camera to my needs I find I can do everything I want. Great flexibility, good final images, nice to know I can keep adding lenses. I'm actually enjoying photography again.
This is a fantastic camera for the price. If you want better results you'll need to pay double.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Ok maybe not completely perfect, but what is? I like to use a variety of cameras from full frame to compact for varying purposes. Previously for travel I would take a bridge camera and an Canon 550D SLR, and probably a compact too. With the G3 I did not need any of the others, as the sensor has top rate quality and very good noise suppression even at high ISO, it is small and light and the kit lens 14-42 is pretty good. Actually I did not use the 45-200 at all, I really question the need for extended focal length for travel use. The G3 is a delight to use apart from the badly designed D pad which is a nuisance as the thumb activates it by mistake, and the poor battery life...although this is usually enough for 200 shots. Otherwise there are enough settings to keep you happy all day fiddling, but mostly I just use P or A and set aperture at f8 and let the camera get on with it, which it does flawlessly. The flash is a bit feeble, but then low light performance is good so it is not needed very much. These cameras are exceptional value for money and especially with the 20mm f1.7 lens can achieve astonishing sharpness, definition and colour rendering. That and the 14mm f2.8 are wonderfully small and light compared with an SLR prime lens, and results are at least as good.
on 6 November 2012
Ended up getting this camera after weeks of research. My shortlist also included a Nikon D5100 and a Sony A55/7.

This has several advantages:

1. Auto bracketing feature was better than on the DSLRs with the potential to shoot up to 7 separate frames 3 stops over and 3 stops under set exposure. This is a useful feature, essential if you want to try HDR photography.

2. Very fast autofocusing. Although the DSLRs are fast when looking through the viewfinder they're slower when using the flip out screen because it uses a separate focusing system. This camera is fast both through the lens and with the flip out screen.

3. Much smaller than a DSLR but with comparable image quality. The sensor size is not much smaller than on DSLR and according to reviews there's little difference in image quality. Yet having no mirror and with this sensor adds up to a much smaller package. With one of the flatter lenses it's about the same size as a compact and even if you're carrying several bigger lenses the overall bulk is much reduced.

4. Electronic viewfinder: Good is that you can see your image as it will be exposed before you even take the photo. In the dark you actually get a brighter image than what you see with your eye. The image quality is much improved over older EVs.

5. The electronic viewfinder allows for onboard software distortion correction. This means that - with some lenses - the image is corrected in camera. Although you don't notice the difference when shooting you end up with a better image (The Panasonic 7-14mm gets very good reviews).

6. Touch screen. Although it wasn't that important to me when I bought the camera now I've got used to it's a nice little extra.

7. Intelligent mode: press one button on the top of the camera for quick entry into fully automatic mode.

Also some disadvantages:

1. Because the Micro four thirds standard is new there are far fewer lenses available for these cameras than Nikons/Cannons etc. For me I wanted an ultra wide angle but the choice was down to just two zooms: Panasonic 7mm-14mm or Olympus 9mm-18mm. The first is around £1000 whilst the second is £500. So very pricey and no ultra wide prime lens options either. Hopefully Sigma/Tamron/Tokina will start making more and cheaper micro four thirds lenses will appear in the future.

2. Electronic viewfinder means battery life is far less than a DSLR if you leave it turned on. (Fortunately the camera boots up in about as much time at it takes to lift the camera to your eye. You can also get spare batteries on ebay pretty cheaply and they're small so not much extra to carry).

3. Not the most robust of cameras. It looks good - I got a white one - but the plastic body looks like it would probably smash if dropped. (Then again my last camera had a good strong body but when I dropped although the body was unmarked it never worked again!)

4. No remote control included.

Overall I'm extremely happy with this camera and glad I chose this over a DSLR system. The saving in bulk/weight over a DSLR is considerable which for me means I'm far more likely to take it out and about with me. The much bigger CCD means the image quality is much better than on the superzoom type of cameras, and being one of the newer type of CCDs means you can take the ISO right up to 6400 and still get usable quality images. The view through both the electronic viewfinder and flip out screen is very good: far better than on older cameras, close enough to that of DSLR to not really worry about. The menu system allows for a huge range of options, in some things better than comparable DSLRs. It's also cheaper than most of them too.