5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, Love it!!!
Published on 21 April 2012 by Archie

3.0 out of 5 stars A good sensor, smaller and lighter than a SLR but not as versatile as a Cannon
Bought as wanted something better than a phone and smaller and lighter than a SLR to carry around, with the option of occasionally sticking a couple of old SLR lenses / filters on via a suitable adaptor, which the micro 4/3 range appears to promise. The camera has a good sensor, and is obviously smaller than a SLR but the menuing system I find fiddly and not as versatile...
Published 9 months ago by A. J. Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, Love it!!!, 21 April 2012
Hooked on photography for about a year now and was willing to upgrade to a canon 60d (£1300) but the guy from glasgow city centre (merchantcitycameras) told me to keep this camera as the technology is very high end and i wouldnt really see a difference. I am very pleased with my purchase and what this man told me as he is a serious professional in this field. Keeping it for another year or two until something new arrives. The only thing that slightly annoys me with this camera is the battery life and the slowish focusing while in movie mode but the batteries can be purchased on ebay/amazon for £10 and are meant to be just as good as the originals which are crazy price.I can live with these minor problems and Cant stop using this camera LOVE IT. Got white BTW :)Highly Recommended Great photos, movie quality :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera - Micro four thirds realises its potential, 4 July 2011
A. Benson - See all my reviews
After reading about the G3 prior to it's release, I was curious that the decision had been made to further reduce the size from that of the G2. It is, however, a fantastically portable camera that still feels solid and of good quality in the hand. I feel so much more compelled to take this camera out on all my travels as it is small and light enough to keep around the neck all day whereas with my other dslr I'm aching to take it off after a only a short country walk.

With this camera, Panasonic seem to have improved upon almost every aspect vs older models. A 16mp sensor rivals many of the competing cameras from the likes of Canon & Nikon in the same price range. The image noise control makes the camera very useable in low light, and I am loving full HD movie capture! There is a nice feature when using manual mode that allows you to enlarge the subject of your photo when focusing for a sharper image, while it is also possible to touch focus at any point on the camera's lovely fold out LCD screen. Those who are still not sold on touch screen cameras will be pleased to hear that you can get used to it whilst using the buttons, which are well laid out.

There will be something for everyone here - the G3 should appeal to point and shoot users, with an 'intelligent auto plus' mode that gets some great snaps whilst allowing a little freedom of some simpler and some more creative image settings, whereby the casual user can build some confidence to move across to the manual modes. Panasonic have packed the G3 full of plenty of tricks and features, more than enough to keep the more avid photographer busy.

At this stage, the only criticism I have of this camera is that the strap could be a little chunkier, but given the weight of the camera, this is only a small issue.

The G3 is on a par with any entry-mid level SLR camera whilst in a far more practical package.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great!, 29 Mar. 2012
I was a bit dubious about this bacause of all the flummery built in. But I wanted an affordable camera to shoot RAW, and need a viewfinder. And the reviews were good, and it fitted the budget. So, does it meet my needs? The RAW files are stunning once one changes from srgb to rgb. Leaves my Nikon D200 in the dust. 800 asa files are brilliant, and 1600 is fine at a push. The video is great, though I have no prior experience with it by way of comparison - the HD option is pretty irritating because the supplied software will not install properly on my pc and there is not much you can do with it without more software, but the motion jpeg looks good enough for my occasional use. I am not bothered by the touchscreen for shooting stills, but its good for video and for accessing the well thought out menus. The main thing is, the RAW files are great if thats what you want. As well, its really fun to use to use as a point and shoot as well and carry around camera. Very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera and easy to use, 19 Aug. 2011
I was struggling to decide between a Canon EOS 550d and the Lumix DMC-G3 but decided to plump for this based on the a number of factors: (1) lighter and less cumbersome to carry around, (2) easier to use (which is important for my wife), (3) cheaper, (4) better video including auto-focus and the ability to zoom without clunking noise from the lens, (5) moveable screen which can also be closed and protected. I have to say I am very happy with this so far, I have already taken some excellent photos. It is incredibly easy to use straight away using the Intelligent Auto function and the quality of pictures is significantly better than we get from our Canon Ixus compact. Only downsides are: (1) battery performance could be better and (2) replacement lenses are quite expensive but on the whole I can't recommend this enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant camera, 20 July 2011
D. Williams (UK) - See all my reviews
I have had tried different cameras in recent years having got frustrated with the bulk and weight of DSLRs yet not wanting to lose image quality. For a while I had a lighter-weight DSLR and I've tried another compact system camera, but that wasn't well sorted and was difficult to use.

The G3 in contrast, is light but strong and solid-felling and it is incredibly easy to use, either in full auto mode or in some variety of manual mode. The photo qualify is terrific but it also benefits from being portable and fast, so shots that might have been missed with another camera get captured with ease.

My increasingly good feedback on Flickr is testimony to the effectiveness of the G3! Overall, this is an outstanding camera and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to take highly quality photos but doesn't want to carry around a couple of house bricks in the shape of a fill-size DSLR and lenses.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PICTURES & VIDEO TOO, 19 Mar. 2012
I previously had a Lumix G1 and was always impressed with the pictures from that but this G3 is even better! The kit lenses have improved further is last two years and the increase to 16.1MP in the G3,takes full advantage in my opinion.I am still amazed that such a small camera, at such a reasonable price,manages to produce such good results .The 'face tracking' is very quick and 99.9% of shots taken are spot on even using 'burst' option.
The video too is very sharp and here to the focusing is quick to adjust to movement giving clean results.
Overall I have to say Panasonic have come up with a good all rounder with the G3 and I personally have 3 lenses 14-42mm X, 45-175mm & the 100-300mm which cover most situations. The camera and all 3 lenses fit in the Lumix G series case also purchased via Amazon for £19.99 and is so easy to carry around or take abroad etc.
Five stars from me...enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, 21 July 2011
This camera is quite simply excellent! Having owned a Nikon D90 I wanted a light weight relacement! Having carried out extensive research and looking at the images created by this camera, I purchased a Panasonic G3 from Amazon. I have used it for a few hours and the images are outstanding. The camera is compact robust and well made. If you are not sure what mirrorless camera to buy, don't hesitate and buy a G3!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect travel camera, 1 April 2013
The Doc "discdoc" (Hove) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Ok maybe not completely perfect, but what is? I like to use a variety of cameras from full frame to compact for varying purposes. Previously for travel I would take a bridge camera and an Canon 550D SLR, and probably a compact too. With the G3 I did not need any of the others, as the sensor has top rate quality and very good noise suppression even at high ISO, it is small and light and the kit lens 14-42 is pretty good. Actually I did not use the 45-200 at all, I really question the need for extended focal length for travel use. The G3 is a delight to use apart from the badly designed D pad which is a nuisance as the thumb activates it by mistake, and the poor battery life...although this is usually enough for 200 shots. Otherwise there are enough settings to keep you happy all day fiddling, but mostly I just use P or A and set aperture at f8 and let the camera get on with it, which it does flawlessly. The flash is a bit feeble, but then low light performance is good so it is not needed very much. These cameras are exceptional value for money and especially with the 20mm f1.7 lens can achieve astonishing sharpness, definition and colour rendering. That and the 14mm f2.8 are wonderfully small and light compared with an SLR prime lens, and results are at least as good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 18 Nov. 2011
TheProf (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
For someone looking to enter micro 4/3 this camera gives you lots of bang for your buck in a very small form factor. The new sensor inside the G3 is excellent - high ISO performance is better than other Panasonic m 4/3 cameras bar the GX1 and on a par with many APS-C DSLRs if you expose carefully. The JPEG engine is quite good, delivering more consistent and neutral colors than previous Panasonic G series cameras and a good trade off between noise reduction and detail retention in high ISO images. Process raw files in ACR, LR or C1 for even more imoressive results if you have the time or the inclination. Autofocus is quick and excellent, face detect works well and the new pinpoint focus system that can be used with the touch screen LCD is superb for macro or landscape work (and can be handy for portraits too). It's very small and neat, not to mention lightweight, compared to most APS-C DSLRs and there is now a stunning range of lenses for micro 4/3 - I highly recommend the Panasonic 20mm, 100-300mm for telephoto and the recently released Olympus 45mm f1.8 for portraits. Using this camera with care I can match or sometimes surpass the results from my considerably bulkier and heavier DSLR system. What's not to like? Not much. Build could be a little sturdier and the resolution of the touch screen LCD (490k) is rather lower than that found on most current DSLRs. Other than that it's great !

How does it compare to the more expensive Panasonic GX1? Well, the G3 appears to be far better value - it offers a more traditional DSLR style body, a built-in EVF, a movable LCD. The GX1 does have some things going for it though: it follows the GF1 tradition of tank like build quality - it's a step up from the G3 and less plasticky in feel; the GX1 has the G3 sensor but Panasonic have tweaked the JPEG engine and raw signal processing - as a consequence, I have found that colours are a bit nicer with the GX1 and high ISO ever so slightly better on the GX1. Autofocus is also slightly faster on the GX1 and the GX1 has a few more manual controls, as well as a nice new feature - a level gauge that you can view on the rear LCD or on the optional EVF, the rarher pricey LVF-2. In my mind the GX1 gives the best stills performance of any current Panasonic micro 4/3 camera, but the G3 gives the most bang for buck and is nearly as good (for movies get the GH2 instead). Want to know more? See my GX1 and LVF-2 reviews here on Amazon !

5.0 out of 5 stars Lumix G3 - excellent., 27 Feb. 2012
I was initially frustrated by this camera (especially the built in flash) but after using it continuosuly for a couple of months and taking the time to adapt the camera to my needs I find I can do everything I want. Great flexibility, good final images, nice to know I can keep adding lenses. I'm actually enjoying photography again.
This is a fantastic camera for the price. If you want better results you'll need to pay double.