5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Technology at its best
I'm a bit sceptical in this day and age, it's not the technology, it is the quality of the manufacturing that worries me, when trying to get value for money.
Published 12 months ago by Andrew

1.0 out of 5 stars I guess you get what you pay for
Don't buy this. First night there was a big bubble on 1 end of the mat. and on the second night it would not hold air and slept very uncomfortable. Even though it is cheap i guess quality comes with a price.
Published 11 months ago by S. D. Kapitein

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Technology at its best, 8 July 2013
Andrew (Wilts, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lichfield Self Inflating Mat (Sports)
It is almost too easy buying products online, we are spoilt for choice and have vast amounts of similar products to select from. Without the ability to 'try before you buy', 3D visual or 'touchy feely' you have to rely on either reviews or gut instinct.

I read many reviews about these ground mats before committing to this purchase. Not because of money, albeit I like everyone, don't want to overspend, that's a basic human instinct, but because I am now much older than the carefree younger days of camping. Back then I would sleep on a thorn bush, and believe me I did!
I need a ground mat that would ease these aching bones after an active day riding bicycles and fell walking.

I paused when I saw how thin these mats are, even though there were others up to 100mm thick that halted my attention span for a while. I took the plunge, mainly because of Amazons amazing returns policy, and I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised just how comfortable these mats really are.

Unrolling it for the first time, undoing the captive air valve and watching the mat expand. After a few minutes, I gave a couple of helper puffs and tightened the valve before sinking onto the floor, into what I recognised as a pad of memory foam. I never felt like I was ever in contact with the floor and quite look forward to trying them out for real at our imminent camping trip.

Due to my shoulders being wider than average, I may buy a double for myself later as the mat seems a tad narrow, moreso if you roll about a bit.

Packing the mat away I had visions of not being able to use the sleeve bag it came in, let alone the straps. However, I not only managed to use the straps and bag, but rolled it smaller than original. Now there is a mark of good quality.
I bought this brand name as a mark of quality, albeit despite being a British company, like most these are probably manufactured in China, but would also add, for once, Lichfield seem to have imposed stricter quality controls/demands than expected.

UPDATED 30 July 2013
Now I have 'field tested' this product I have updated the review.
I can say, this product gave my old bones a comfortable nights sleep. The only reservation is the width. With quite broad shoulders, when I rolled off the mat during the night, the cold and hard floor woke me up and I wriggled back onto the mat with a noticeable difference in comfort and warmth levels. To counter act this, I've purchased another mat, giving my son and I, 3 to share space on, and when I camp alone, a nice 2 mat width.
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this technology works and very well. What's astounding is, that it does it so thin and lightweight. I had expected the surface of the material to be cold, yet I didn't need to put a cover over it as it seemed to remain neutral throughout the night.

5.0 out of 5 stars comfy, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Lichfield Self Inflating Mat (Sports)
This is actually more comfy than it looks and although does not inflate to great thickness it is more comfy than a roll mat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfy, 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: Lichfield Self Inflating Mat (Sports)
A very comfy mattress , so easy to blow up , compacted when rolled up great for motorbike driving this is a great product

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for all kinds of Camping, 21 Mar 2012
This review is from: Lichfield Self Inflating Mat (Sports)
I brought this mat for general out the back of the car camping but it also packs up really small and doesn't weigh much making ideal if carrying on expiditions. I was also really surprised at the quality vs the price - excellent purchase and would well recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't feel a thing!, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Lichfield Self Inflating Mat (Sports)
Slept on this in the middle of a field in a tent. Had a great night's sleep and didn't feel a thing underneath. Easy to inflate and deflate and isn't that heavy to carry. Would recommend this for anyone going camping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for its price, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Lichfield Self Inflating Mat (Sports)
I used this mat in a sea kayak trip for 7 days in remote beaches. Excellent, no problem at all and very comfortable sleep. Just be sure that its size is not a problem with you as it doesn't packed very small.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 19 Jun 2013
This review is from: Lichfield Self Inflating Mat (Sports)
purchased for duke of Edinburgh expedition. Very light weight and was easy to inflate and deflate and especially comfortable to lye on. would recommend highly over the run of the mill roll out camping mat.

4.0 out of 5 stars home test., 17 April 2012
This review is from: Lichfield Self Inflating Mat (Sports)
can only give home test as product hasnt been tried camping. the mats seem good quality and inflated quite well but need afew puffs to reach full insulation depth.to reroll the mats they were nice and easy to deflate and reroll. can recommend this product to anyone.Stan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, 29 Jan 2014
Zoe Whyman "Zoe xx" (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lichfield Self Inflating Mat (Sports)
Good price compared to camping shops. Very interesting product, and daughter slept on it for a week with no issues. Would recommend it. Bought one for a friend as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars I guess you get what you pay for, 18 Aug 2013