on 6 November 2011
I was looking for a low cost player for a bedroom, size and cost most important consideration. Sumvision may not be a brand most people recognise but they are quite big in computer peripherals, so I wasn't concerned about this. On opening it I was surprised at how small it is, about the width of 2 dvds and just slightly deeper. It also feels quite sturdy and well built. The remote control is a good size but feels a bit lightweight, and the buttons are really too small for comfortable operation.

Loads of connectivity on the back panel; scart, HDMI, coaxial, video +L/R sound, and 5.1 channel audio to boot. On the front panel there's an SD card slot and a USB port.

Hooked it up through the HDMI port selected the menu option to find that everything was all setup, just had to change the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9. Tried it out with a DVD and very impressed with the picture, TV input monitor showed it as a 1080p signal so clearly upscaling as advertised. Also noticed how quiet it is in operation. Then tried it with a DVD-R, a CD, a CD-R, and a DVD rom with AVI files on, all played faultlessly. The same when I plugged in a USB stick with AVI files on. The only input I didn't try was the SD slot, and I wasn't able to try DVD+R either.

So overall, a great spec for the price, good picture quality, perfect for a bedroom. Drops a star because the remote control could be better to be honest.
on 16 August 2011
new to this game am disabled so please allow for mistakes have found this dvd so very good that i have now bought four for friends. it plays all the regions that its supposed to ,easy to just plug n play straight from box will be getting more soon. thanks you, [SUMO VISION DVD PLAYERS] for a brilliant unit. Had a problem with the first unit wich was got from a local shop very bad remote, played region 1 with no sound otherwise good unit as well
on 22 November 2011
This DVD player is made by Sum Vision of China. In the box with the player are instruction book, remote control with batteries, and rudimentary connecting leads (scart and 3-plug to 3-plug composite). There is a socket for HDMI but no lead. Other features are listed in the technical details on this page. The top and front of the player are covered with cling film; after much squinting and face pulling I managed to remove it. The player is about two-thirds of the width of my previous player which was a Philips. Allowing for connections and ventilation, I would say the Phoenix needs an overall space about 12 inches (30cm) square. The player looks compact, robust and straightforward. Manual operation is a bit clunky and the remote control is medium size with tiny buttons that seem to be designed for slender Chinese fingers. The mains input socket is uncomfortably close to the scart socket, and so it is difficult to keep the two leads from touching. The player makes very little noise when running - which is a blessing. The maximum fast forward/backward speed is 16x. I have a very simple TV & 2-speaker audio setup and saw no reason to depart from the player's default settings. I tried a Region 1 DVD, Region 2, Region 4, homemade DVD-R, CD and homemade disc of mp3s, and it played them all with commendable ease without any adjustments being necessary. The only peculiarity that I've noticed so far is that the LED display on the front of the unit does not show hours; therefore a DVD at 1hour 10 mins and 40 secs shows as just 10 mins and 40 secs. This can be a little confusing at times but there is, however, an OSD button to reveal the full and proper time elapsed and time remaining. The Phoenix is no world beater but I paid £36.95 and consider it to be worth every penny.
on 7 January 2009
Only just got this machine but early impressions are very favourable indeed. It's half the width of a normal DVD machine and in black with amber lit display it looks very smart indeed. It has played everything I've chucked at it so far.

Doesn't have the irritating automatic power shut-off during a long pause that my last machine was cursed with - meaning I can pick up on a movie the following day if I like without having to find my place again.

The great price includes a new Scart lead too - often extra on a budget machine.

BIG LET DOWN is the remote - badly laid out, tacky, nasty, cheap. This is a real shame - it spoils an otherwise excellent package.

The instructions are also quite poorly presented.

I would have gladly paid more for this machine with a properly designed remote.
on 16 July 2011
ive never done a review before but was so happy with this dvd player i felt i had to. ive waited years for certain dvds to come out on region 2 but they never have so got fed up and bought this little dvd player not hoping for much as it was cheap. ive unlocked a previous dvd player but the film which should be colour came out black and white. the same dvds in this machine played in colour which i wasnt expecting. so if your looking for a cheap multiregional dvd player that manages colour then this is for you
on 9 July 2010
Quite simply the worst piece of equipment I've ever had the misfortune to spend hard earned money on.

Each dvd takes ages to load which is extremely frustrating, it's noisy and it was supposed to enhance dvd's to an HD quality but actually gives a poorer picture than my 7yr old dvd player. I think the tacky and badly laid out remote contol is a reflection of this products overall quality.

Don't skimp and save your pennies for something of much better quality.
on 30 September 2010
I ordered this player after reading other reviews. I am amazed at the speed it was delivered as it was only 24 hours from order to delivery. A very small player that packs far more into it's tiny casing than much bigger devices that are also far more expensive. An incredibly easy machine to set up it took me LONGER to get it out of the box than it did to set up it really was that easy,approx 3 minutes tops. I ripped many cd's on my computer years ago and transfered then to blanks and this dvd player actually played them!!!!. It also comes with a remote that is also compact and very light and as the machine it is also easy to use. I am amazed that I took a dvd out of the machine half way through playing and put it back the following day and the machine REMEMBERED WHERE I STOPPED THE DVD AND CONTINUED FROM THAT POINT!!!!!! this floored me completely. the picture is clear at all times even when it is in pause mode and all the functions are crisp and very easy to use. I also like the amber digital read-out on the front of the player.

The only very tiny "niggle" and the reason for the 4 stars is the dvd tray is flimsy which makes me a little wary of being too heavy putting in a dvd, really the tray could be a little more chunky but it is a nit pick really, to open/close the tray use the remote or the button on the machine and you wont have any problems. For £30 it is a steal as I would gladly pay £80 for this machine it's that good.
on 22 May 2009
I found this little DVD player really easy to set up.
I didn't need to use the instuction manual. I just simply got it out the box, connected it up and tried a Region1 DVD. I didn't think it would work before I put the disc into the player, but i became really happy and chuffed with the fact that it worked and i had no problems getting used to it.
What really suprised me, was the size. It's not really big like most DVD players and thats a bonus considering the little space i have available.
I'll rate this player a 10/10 and it's fantastic.
Thumbs up from me!!!
66 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 January 2010
I bought this for value for money, HDMI upscaling and ability to play anything.

But, after a few weeks it begins to get 'picky' with what it plays.
It'll play any DVD you throw at it - but not all the episodes.
Instead, it plays a couple, then will stop/freeze/cease to spin on a selection and then you'll have much frustration trying to get it to play that DVD again because of the way it remembers where you left off.

Massively frustrating.
on 24 September 2009
I have a 500GB hard drive and wanted this dvd player so that i would not need to burn disks. Well on the whole seems to do a great job you can filter your search between Films, pictures, music the menues move fast and its quite easy to find what your looking for. Played all my divx and mp3s no problem picture was quite good when upscaled for £30 its a bargain.