4.0 out of 5 stars Revelations
So far I love the game. Compared to the last 2, there isn't much difference in terms of game play, but in a way that is a good thing. The strength of the game lies with the characters and the storyline. The addition of the hook blade and the bombs makes fighting a hell of a lot more fun and less tedious. Constantinople?? Instead of Italy? Awesome.
The side quests of...
Published on 24 Nov 2011 by Nat

I have been a fan of the Assassin's Creed games since the first one and I was looking forward to seeing the return of Altair, as well as a lot of loose ends being tied up that have done nothing but multiplied over the sequels. So what was my reaction when I finished Assassin's Creed Revelations?

Well to put it lightly, I wasn't impressed at all. Read on if you...
Published on 14 Jan 2012 by L. Haywood

3.0 out of 5 stars This is what happens when multiplayer becomes the main focus., 14 Jan 2012
L. Haywood (Nottinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)

Well to put it lightly, I wasn't impressed at all. Read on if you want, but I'll warn you, there are some minor spoilers below.

First of all, everything just seems so rushed. And when I say everything, I mean literally everything. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, given the fact that it has only been a year since Brotherhood was released, but Ubisoft can do a lot better than this. It took me about 7 hours to complete Revelations. Okay, 7 hours is a long time, but compare that to Assassin's Creed 2's length. It took me about 20 hours to complete that game. So you can see why I was disappointed, especially considering that Revelations was supposed to wrap everything up. You can't wrap everything up in such a short amount of time, and they actually didn't. The so-called "Revelation" was just a CGI cutscene about something we already knew about, the world ending before and the ones that came before, that's it. I'm all for making the story more interesting but I think the majority of people can agree with me here when I say that this whole 'ones that came before' thing is getting a bit ridiculous now. Even the intro felt rushed because it was basically just an extended version of the CGI trailer shown at E3.

Secondly, there is less of everything. I know that there are some people out there who will say that "less is more", but those people should try playing Revelations. There are less outfits, less missions and less stuff to do in general. We get two cities to explore this time, Constantinople and the underground city (forgot the name). Constantinople is much smaller than Rome and there isn't anything to do at all in the underground city, so it's not even worth mentioning.

New main features are bomb making and the hookblade. Bomb making is fun, but there really isn't any need to use it at all. You can pretty much play through the game (excluding one particular mission) without using them at all. Plus gathering ingredients for the bombs you want can get tedious sometimes. The hookblade is definitely a welcome feature, but there is one problem. When Ubisoft told everyone about ziplining to get accross the city faster, they failed to mention that you could only zipline from a certain side of the city. Of course, they replaced horses with ziplines so if you're on a downhill section of the city you're going to have to walk up like any other normal citizen and believe me when I say that the game puts you in that predicament very regularly.

AC1 players looking forward to the return of Altair will be greatly disappointed to discover that there are only 6 memories actually involving Altair and they are very short. All of them take place in Masyaf and most of the time there can be one of two things you'll be doing: Either fighting your way to the fortress at the top of the hill, or fighting your way to the bottom of the hill. There's even one memory where Altair should be in all fairness wearing his black armour that Ezio acquires during AC2, but for some reason he is still wearing his white robes. Again, it's just something else that seems so overlooked and rushed.

Templar Towers are back from Brotherhood, only this time the Templars can attack your Assassin Dens if Ezio becomes too notorious. Now by reading that, you probably think "oh, that sounds quite good, at least it keeps you occupied". Well, what if I told you that instead of having some regular AC based mission such as perhaps killing the attackers, it goes into this weird mode called 'Den Defence' where you'll be commanding Assassins from the rooftops surrounding the area which you need to defend? It probably doesn't sound too bad with how I described it, but believe me, it really is awful.

Then there's the Desmond memories. I'm sorry for saying this so harshly, but whoever thought of making the Desmond memories how they are should be given the sack. They aren't fun at all, they're just weird gameplay sections that take place in first person view and you've got to make your way around the levels using these blocks which you place down around you to climb places. When you get to a certain part of the level, Desmond will start talking about his past. When Ubisoft said that we'd get an idea of what Desmond's past was before he was captured, this isn't exactly what I had in mind. I would have just settled for regular memories with Desmond being the playable character.

For my last complaint about gameplay... Where the heck did Ubisoft put the VR Training feature? I spent hours on that mode alone, and it definitely would have helped with having nothing to do on this game!

Soundtrack is okay, but it is far too repetitive. The main theme of Revelations plays far too often for its own good. Graphics have improved but there some major glitches on some of the outfits. I know the outfits for Assassin's Creed have always been like this, but Revelations outfits are the worst of them all.

Despite all of the bad things that I'm saying about Revelations however, there are some things about the game that I did like. For example, Ubisoft have finally ditched the silly wanted posters on chimneys. Combat is actually challenging when you're facing higher ranking guards this time, especially now that guns have pretty much replaced archery. Eagle Vision has improved. Finally, the game has the same old AC gameplay that we all love... There just isn't as much to do with it as the previous games.

Now you're all probably wondering why I haven't said anything about the multiplayer so far and that's because I can't say anything. I tried getting into a match and in the entire half an hour it spent in the matchmaking lobby, it didn't find enough people to actually start a match. I also don't like saying much about the multiplayer because Assassin's Creed was just fine without it before, and the singleplayer has really downgraded since Ubisoft decided to introduce the feature.

Revelations is yet another example of a game that becomes too heavily focused on the multiplayer aspect that the singleplayer goes completely downhill as a result. Now I'm not saying that the game is terrible because it is quite decent, but it is definitely not what I have come to expect from an Assassin's Creed game.

Story: 3/5
Gameplay: 4/5
Content: 3/5
Graphics: 4/5
Sounds: 3/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Revelations, 24 Nov 2011
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
The side quests of finding the Masayaf keys is exactly the same as the last couple of games, AC2 > assassins tombs, ACB > Lair of Romulus, although I have to say, the side quest of when you fall through a tower and through the ground to reveal a gigantic chasm underground left me speechless, so much so I replayed it 3 times afterwards, so no complaints there.

The only thing I feel I need to complain about is the defence of the assassin dens. While the idea itself is new and interesting, the whole concept is a pain. My way of playing is going in kicking ass by myself and saving the day, but sitting on roof tops doing jack and commanding assassins to fire nothing but arrows and guns to stop wave after wave of soldiers and in the end a huge contraption that knocks down your defences anyway? Poor. Frustrated me to no bitter end. So in the end, I gave up and spent a large amount of time trying to avoid being in the full notoriety (which is the only time Templars can attack your dens) and it takes a lot of time as you no longer have posters. Only a handful of heralds and very rarely do you get an official to kill. The whole notoriety thing I could deal with if it wasn't backed up by the fact if you buy a shop your notoriety goes up by 1/4. While I can appreciate they've got to do something new, the whole past paragraph really does but a downer on the game. Sorry guys. Let down.

But in general, so far, the game is excellent, well worth the money and I bought the collector's edition, and I have to say, I'm a geek, and the box is awesome! If you are a fan of the AC collection, it is worth it, if you're the type to really get into the game and don't have your expectation so high for something different. BUY THE GAME.

4.0 out of 5 stars haven't we played this game before?, 5 Feb 2012
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I didn't really like the first Assassin's Creed because of its repetitive nature, Assassins Creed 2 was a major improvement to the series and one of my favourite games of all time, Assassins Creed Brotherhood (A.K.A- Assassins Creed 2.5) wasn't a great improvement to the series but was still fun. And now Revelations (A.K.A- Assassins Creed 2.75) is out, it is a better improvement than Brotherhood but its mostly the same. Note- I didn't play the multiplayer.

The good stuff:
1. The story is very good, it continues the story of Ezio who is now into his fifties but can still climb buildings, take on a hundred guards and flirt with a 20 year old women. It also continues the story ark about desmond who is in a coma after (SPOILER ALERT) he is he forced to killed his fish liped girlfriend at the end of brotherhood and he has to relive the memories of ezio and altair to get back to his body.
2. The freerunning is still great and is made better with the hookblade (more on that later).
3. The open world of Contantinople is big and full of stuff.
4. You get two new weapons to your arsenal, as if the hidden blade, double hidden blade, poison blade, poison darts, parachute, sword, dagger, crossbow, unarmed combat, throwing knives and a gun wasn't enough. You get to craft bombs (shrapnel, poison, decoy etc) and get a hookblade which allows you to perform more counterkills, ride on zip lines and grab things which are slightly out of Ezio's reach.
5. You can recuit assassins again to do your dirty work for you.
6. You can rebuild buildings and renovate them.
7. There are Desmond missions after you collect a certain amount of data fragments hidden throughout Contantinople, they don't last long as there are 5 in total but are a great addition to the game and the story.
8. You get to play a out of place but well designed tower defense minigame.
9. There is a lot of content throughout the game.
10. Some of the missions are really fun.

The bad stuff:
1. Its still too easy.
2. The lacking enemy AI during the swordfighting can lead to long combat sections as they don't attack straight on.
3. Like brotherhood, some missions started to get really stale and old.
4. Like brotherhood again, the economy is unbalanced. You will still end up with lots of money halfway through the game if you renovate everything.
5. The problem with the plot is that there is not much at stake.
6. Once you recuit assassins you can get them to do all the assassinations for you, taking the fun out of the game.

Once again, like brotherhood, its more of the same but Revelations manages to refine the game while it introduces new content.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing end to the Renaissance Trilogy!, 8 Sep 2014
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This story really ends the tale of Ezio Auditore Da Firenze perfectly, and the inclusion of his new tools is great, it is just a shame that they didn't keep them for future releases.

This game is the perfect ending to the Renaissance trilogy, and the cliffhanger is so amazing that it will make you rush out and get the next game if you haven't got it already. The only let down to this is the Minecraft like Desmond sequences where you find yourself building blocks to get across a room, and it takes a bit away from the flow of the game, HOWEVER these sequences ARE OPTIONAL so the game doesn't push you into doing them to further the story thank God.

The parts of this game with Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad are also great! I am so glad that his story got a good ending as well, because the end of Assassins Creed: Bloodlines really made me want more!

I give this game a 9/10, however because of the scoring on Amazon I have given it a 5/5!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great game, 21 April 2012
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
A great sequel to assasins creed brotherhood, and it sets you up for assasins creed 3 when released. If you've played all assasins creed games but not yet this one, it's definitely worth a purchase! Also the online mode is a lot smoother than the last game (assasins creed brotherhood) And makes the game even more enjoyable.

2.0 out of 5 stars AC 2.75, 2 April 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Anyone buying this as a single player game should think carefully, note I don't do on-line multi-player since call of duty put me off that. I would recommend you rent it first, as I should have done. This is without doubt the very worst assassins creed yet, it has been heavily dumbed down to say the least, it also feels very rushed/unpolished too. The additional bits I enjoyed from the last two are sadly gone; No fiendish puzzles courtesy of the glyphs, and no cleverly designed 3d platform puzzles - assassins tombs. Would you enjoy a pseudo RTS mini-game instead? Then welcome to den defence, the only issue is that as far as RTS goes it's really poor. I haven't mentioned the fact that a lot of the game is actually recycled from 2 and brotherhood, vis-a-vis the plot and goal of a lot of the sequences were giving me a bad case of deja vu. The sound clips from the crowd were ripped straight from brotherhood i.e. a lot of cheesy italian sounding accents in Istanbul/Constantinople (would you believe it?). Also the single player game (story mode) is very short. Don't get me started on the actual content and the inconsistencies. I brought my copy last week, I'm trading it in tomorrow, I've still got AC2 and Brotherhood, and still enjoy playing them.
Besides what I have mentioned so far, this is not a game for someone who has not played the previous titles in the series. A newcomer will be greeted by a four page paper manual that only gives you the controller details, the story is going to make no sense what so ever. Although there is a more extensive manual that you can read off screen, but who does that? The in game help that there is, is very scant on how to actually play the game, beginners BEWARE!! go elsewhere AC2 is a better choice.

As an after thought I would speculate this game was purely developed to satisfy demand for on-line / multi-player content. It may be good for this purpose, but I somehow doubt it. Public games will probably full of cheats, as much on-line multi-player gaming is (glitch/lag switches, aim-bots, boosting etc,etc,etc).

5.0 out of 5 stars The Series hasn't peaked yet!, 16 Feb 2012
Bronwyn V (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I thought, after the wonder that was AC Brotherhood, Revelations would be a drop in standards, however, although it doesn't have the mass improvements that Brotherhood had on AC2, and the improvements AC2 had on AC, it still maintains the high level of gameplay we have come to expect from this series of games.

I'm not going to lie, it took a bit longer to get into than Brotherhood, but after the first half hour or so of gameplay, it was excellent! Some are saying that the hook is a bit of a pointless addition, but I loved it. Unlike in AC Brotherhood where about 60% of my travel was done on rooftops, and 40% on the ground, I did spend about 90% of my time on the rooftops in Revelations, largely due to the use of ziplines, I think.

The story and characters were, as ever, top knotch, and it was great to be able to play as Ezio again. I also enjoyed the Desmond sections, although they were a bit unnerving at first, and a completely different kind of gameplay.

Excellent, can't wait to get back on it, now I've finished, and try to achieve 100% sync and get all the achievements.

3.0 out of 5 stars Revelations Lost The Touch, 17 Jan 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I Will Start By Stating That I Have Owned All 4 Assassins Creed Titles And I Must Admit That Revelations Is Likely The Worst, That Being Said It Isnt A Bad Game

I Have Bought All Titles As I Feel That The Story Behind The Game Is Interesting And Rather Gripping, But After Playing Revelations Through I Feel A Little Disapointed, In Comparison To Assassins Creed 1, 2 And Brotherhood, The Story And Gameplay Were Slightly Above Average At Best (Whereas I'd Personally Say The Other 3 Were Great). The Game Has A Kind Of Prologue Type Sequence At The Start Which Tells Of What Ezio's Main Purpose Or Objective Will Be In Revelations And For The Most Of It I Did Enjoy It. But After About 20-30 Minutes When You Arrive In Constanopolie The Game Takes A Sudden Turn For The Worse, As The Story Behind Both Ezio (Made From AC2 / Brotherhood) Feels Like It Is Thrown Through The Window For Most Of The Game (Though It Does Start Picking Up Towards The End) As Does The Story About Desmond As He Seems To Be Trapped In A New Area Of The Animus Program... Dont Really Know Where Though.
The Game Also Feels Like It Drudges Through With Little Bits Of Excitement Or Interest Scattered Around But Not Really Enough To Suffice For The Whole Game Itself. And The City Of Constanopolie That It Is Based In Is Really Small Which Makes Me Miss The Size Of AC1 And AC2.
I Also Feel Unbeleivably Disapointed That They Have Removed The Difficult Types Of Puzzles Which Was Featured Throughout AC2 And Brotherhood And Has Been Replaced With A Minor And Simple "Puzzle Objective" Which Involves Getting From Point A To B With A Few Obstacles... Which Doesnt Make Me Test My Brain Like I Used To Love To On AC2 And Brotherhood.

Unfortunatly There A Few Noticable Possitive Aspects Ubisoft Has Implemented Into The Game, Id Say The Only One I Can Think Of Is The Hook-Blade Which Allows For A Few New Combat Skills And Ways Of Getting Around.
The Only 2 Other Aspects (Other That The Hook-Blade) That I Did Feel Impressed About Whilst Playing Through Revelations Was That-
1. Combats Do Seem A Little Tougher
2. The Stories Of Both Altair And Ezio Were Put To Bed In A Good Fashion Which Both Explains More About What Happened To Them At The End Of AC1 And AC2, And Also Paves Way For Assassins Creed 3

Overall I Would Say Revelations Is Slightly Above Average And Would Probably Score A Highest Of 60/100 When Compared To Its Predecessors. Though I Dont Regret Buying The Game Itself, As I Love The Overall AC Storyline, I Cant Help But Stress How Disapointing It Also Was.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice game but short and not much new, 14 Jan 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This game definitely represents a decline in the AC series despite a number of improvements. Yes, as with previous games it is stylish, has a nice CGI section at the beginning, nice landscapes and the fighting system feel like it has been improved. I didn't encounter any bugs which was a major positive. Many of the best bits of AC Brotherhood have also been retained and some of the silly elements have been removed i.e. annoying wanted posters. So well done to the developers for building on the learning from the last game and turning out a well tested game that works well without crashing. Worthy of three stars.

However, the simple fact is that beyond the positives noted above I simply didn't enjoy playing the single player game very much. AC Revelations is relatively slow, boring and repetitive compared to other games on the market in 2012. The most annoying feature for me was the character controls. I finished Skyrim (well as much as anyone can) and Deus Ex and then started on AC revelations...and well the controls in AC after the other titles felt like something from 15 years ago. The character in AC runs all over the place and despite being a huge fella falls down if he runs into a women who is like 6st (whats that about?) Even when running it doesn't feel like you are moving fast; its like the character is running through mud. After 4 hours I had also become agitated with the fact that you latch onto every building detail when running/jumping/climbing...even when you don't want too! I found the race objectives really hard because of this annoying game play feature.

The second major issue for myself was that AC Revelations basically contains more environments which could have been downloads extras for AC Brotherhood. This is barely a game in its own right and is not great value for money when it has little over 10 hours of play and no real replay value (unless you are OCD about completing meaningless achievements.) The tower control idea from Brotherhood has been extended and whilst it is a good concept it is frankly pretty boring when done for the 2nd/3rd time. The tower defence idea is also good in concept but really boring to play. Who plays xbox to stand and watch action going on and barely be involved? The hook blade is okay but there's not enough other new elements to retain interest. Can we really be bothered hunting for more treasure chests? Yawn. The side missions are short, easy and uninteresting - Yawn. And don't get me started on the assassin missions mediterranean defence...it's just a list of missions against a list of places in the med that you send your recruits too...who honestly finds this interesting? Okay this feature isn't quite as boring scanning planets for ore in Mass Effect 2...but it's not far off it.

I finished this game in 10 hours and alas I'm still no wiser about the stories conclusion which is a shame. We just got told more about "those who came before." Well the conclusions I've come to is that I've lost interest and won't be spending any more of my money on AC titles. And that is a shame because this was a really good series of games up to this point. It would have been preferable for Ubisoft to have turned out a better game instead of rushing out revelations in 12 months and so obviously focusing their efforts on the multiplayer mode.

3.0 out of 5 stars If it aint broke... Don't fix it., 13 Jan 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I have been a massive fan of these games ever since the first one was released, Assassins Creed 2, hands down, one of my favourite games of all time. However Brotherhood started the series going downhill a bit and finally Revelations knocks it off the edge of the cliff. Something about this game was really different to the other games and I don't really like it and I'm having quite a hard time getting into to to play it for more than an hour at a time!

Firstly, the new thing with crafting all your bombs and stuff is too much, the old formula for the game where there was a certain amount of gadgets worked very well and it wasn't broken so why did they try fix it?! Secondly the strategy sections whatever they are called where you have to place assassins and barricades and stuff is a massive stomp on the usual quick pace of the game meaning you have to stop and do this boring task. Thirdly, the buildings where you used to Synchronise at the top where the eagles were used to be some of the biggest buildings in the game and could be seen a mile off, now a lot of the buildings are smaller and completely pointless climbing them and they aren't as easy to spot as they used to be.

A few things that are good are the hook blade, this is a good adjustment to the hidden blade and is a lot better than having to wait for Ezio to adjust himself before lunging for the next ledge, and my favourite part of the new game is the zipline. Climbing to a rooftop and using the zipline cable to move to another rooftop and dropping off midway to take out a templar is a very nice smooth motion and about the only thing I think the original games were missing.

I mean I haven't played this game particularly long, but the trouble is because of what they have changed about it I just don't seem to be able to get into it enough to do so, so the case is sat on my shelf gathering dust while I play through the other games, I think it may even be a while before I can be bothered to play this again.

I only gave it a three start rating because it has a lot of components of Assassins Creed that we all grew to love.

Assassin's Creed Revelations (Xbox 360)