5.0 out of 5 stars Great Winter Jacket, but Some Cons.
Published 8 months ago by michaelangelo

3.0 out of 5 stars Good jacket, but no draw cord
The jacket is good value at 58 walnut colour. The quality seems very good.
Published 9 months ago by G. Mazhikov

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Winter Jacket, but Some Cons., 30 Nov 2013
As others have found, you definitely need to buy a larger size than your usual. I am 5' 8" , with 42" chest & 34" waist, and the large was only comfortable just wearing a thin shirt underneath. I changed it for an XL and the fit suits me fine. It is comfortable wearing a sweatshirt or fleece underneath and even a thick down gilet . This means you can use the jacket in a wide range of temperatures. I had thought of buying a North Face McMurdo parka, but that would have only been suitable for excessively cold weather. The Dubliner has modest insulation, which is OK for 0-10 deg C, depending on wind speed and your activity level, but wearing extra layers underneath gives you the option of sub zero use.

It is very well made. I don't mind the absence of a drawcord or internal pockets - who wants to unzip on a cold day to access inside pockets anyway ? The hood is large but can be adjusted with the toggle at the back and when adjusted, the fur doesn't impair your vision.

It is very windproof but I haven't tested its waterproof qualities. I am sure it will perform as HH says. I am really pleased with the jacket, especially at Amazon's price of just under 80.

Two weeks later : Having worn the jacket a lot, I now find there are some cons :

(1) It is not as breathable as a Gortex jacket. On a cold foggy day at 2.5 deg C in a cold wind, I got quite hot and sweaty walking briskly for 2 miles, despite wearing a Berghaus wicking base layer, shirt and lightweight fleece.

(2) The zip very easily snags on a flap of fabric, especially at the top of the fastening, when you cant see to unsnag it yourself .

(3) The press studs at the top of the zip are not so easy to press in and when they are fastened, it's too tight round the chin for me, especially as there is no padded soft fabric for comfort. Velcro would have been so much better - easier to fasten and variable adjustment and soft fabric could have made such a difference.

My wife has a Jack Wolfskin Fairbanks parka, which has soft fabric at the top round your chin , but not a flap to snag the zip.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good jacket, but no draw cord, 20 Nov 2013
G. Mazhikov ((London, England)) - See all my reviews
The jacket is good value at 58 walnut colour. The quality seems very good.
But for me personally there's 1 big drawback - it hasn't got draw cord at the hem, so I could tighten it to prevent air escaping and getting in when it's cold. It's no use having good insulation when you've overdone with ventilation. People designing these jackets must be trained professionals with lots of experience but still no draw cord or or anything like that.
Also there are no internal pockets.
It would be nice if all these internet retailers, uploaded pictures of the item from every side, because buyers can't see them, can't try them on, touch them. You take a gamble when ordering online and then there are these surprises. If they took a picture of the inside of the jacket, I'd have seen that there's no draw cord and no internal pockets, I wouldn't have bothered ordering it.
Apart from that it's an excellent jacket, shame about the draw cord and internal pockets though.
Also it's thin and light, it's not at all like a thick down jacket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent combination of warm and breathable fabric, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: Helly Hansen Men's Dublin Parka Waterproof Jacket (Apparel)
I put this on as it was raining, outside, and it is comfortable, warm and dry without being too heavy. Really good quality, just what I've been looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product, 21 Oct 2013
Bought this for my boyfriend and he loves it, it is smart and casual at the same time he wears it both for work and leisure. Good quality, waterproof, and a suitable thickness for the cold British weather.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helly Hansen jacket, 2 Nov 2013
Jacket fits my husband perfectly. So pleased with this purchase as it is light to wear but keeps you warm and dry. Would highly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Walnut colour review, 15 Nov 2013
G. Howe (UK) - See all my reviews
The most important thing to note is that Amazons picture of the walnut colour is not what this coat looks like, it looks way better. Go to Helly Hansens site to see it's a much richer colour, slightly military looking, and is not 'glossy' like the Amazon picture. It may be because of the awful picture that the large walnut version is currently at an amazing price (58) and they're having difficulty shifting them. The coat itself is excellent, extremely warm with nicely lined pockets and feels great, They don't make clear that the entire hood -as well as the furry rim-are both seperately detachable. The pics do show that this is not a huge 'large', it's designed to fit more snugly which makes it both more comfortable and warmer (and less likely to look 'billowy' and knock things over like a lot of parkas do) This is a perfect Christmas present and is an absolute bargain, even for the other more expensive sizes. The large is an absolute steal.
EDIT : Two days later and its back up to 93 again. Don't know what's going on with the price of this.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best winter jacket I've ever bought, 13 Dec 2013
This purchase was a steal at under 60, which includes the cost of shipping.
The service was great and I was able to track it easily on its way from Spain to the British Isles.
The quality is of a high level, as I've come to expect from HH products and it has kept me warm and dry since it arrived.
I was originally looking at the black version, but snapped up this colour when I realised it was about half the price of the black one. It's a nice colour and the logos are not as obvious as they are on the black one where the contrast of black and white is much stronger.
Although padded and insulated, it's very lightweight and the picture doesn't do it justice; maybe the glare of the lights made it look shiny, but in reality, it has more of a matt finish.
I'm about 5ft 9inches tall and of medium build, with a chest of around 42 inches and weighing around 80kg and the large that I ordered fits me very well: sometimes I wear just a couple of t-shirts under it; sometimes a t-shirt (or two) and a shirt, but I could also comfortably wear another layer, too if I needed. So far, the lowest temperature in London that I've been out in has been -2 (early morning) and wearing this fabulous jacket with just a thermal top. a t-shirt and shirt under it has been enough for me (and I'm quite good in cold temperatures).
It has two big vertical pouch pockets that you can see in the picture, but what you can't see are the two side pocket vents that are built in behind these pouches - and these are lined with a felt-like material and keep your hands nice and warm. This is probably my favourite feature, because I'm not much for wearing gloves.
There are no pockets on the inside of the jacket, not that this is an issue.
I'm very happy with this purchase and now I'm thinking that I should have maybe bought two...

4.0 out of 5 stars It is all right, but could I have found better?, 15 Nov 2013
Bollard - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
*Update, 20 Feb 2014: The jacket has developed a bit of 'give' since I bought it. (Either that or I have shrunk, which the scales tell me is not the case.) If I had known this was going to happen I might have stuck with the Medium rather than going for Large. Mind you, the 50% discount on the Large changed my mind for me. All things being equal, though, now I'd go for Medium. On performance in cold/windy weather, the high collar has been a great help, but the padding is definitely on the skimpy side, and I do miss drawstrings at waist and bottom. Look closely around Amazon at around 100 and you will find some alternatives which may be better.

*Update, 26 November 2013, revised: The colour can be variable. I originally ordered Medium in Walnut and exchanged for Large in Walnut plus a huge refund. The replacement in Large is *different* in colour from the Medium. It is shinier and looks closer to the one in the picture. Padding still not impressive and the sleeves are a bit long for me. As others have said, lacks a drawstring to make it snug around the belly, but once you get a fleece gilet on that will take up the slack. And if my suspicions about the padding are correct, you will need that gilet.

*Original review, edited:
- Overall build quality is fine. The collar, when turned-up, rises above my ears and keeps the wind out. The padding is barely 5mm thick and may not provide fantastic insulation.
- This Norwegian-designed product is made in China, but the print that tells you so is only 6 points and buried deep in the labelling. I think manufacturers should be straightforward about these issues.
- Washing instructions say this can be processed at 40C without tumble drying.
- Fit. I originally bought this in Medium, and the fit was OK but not generous. (I am borderline M/L with 41-inch chest and 33-inch waist.) The colour Walnut was closer to muddy coffee or dark olive than the colour shown on the Amazon photo. (See above for my note on colour in Large.) I exchanged the Medium for Large (plus a refund) to give room for a gilet when the temperature slides below zero.
- Pricing. I paid a hundred and twenty for Medium, Walnut. Then it was ninety-nine and the Large became under sixty! I exchanged during this period so I got the Large plus half my money back. *Phew*
- Bottom line. If you can get it for below a hundred this jacket may be good value, but I have growing doubts because of the thin insulation. I have a 15-year-old leather coat which is drying out and getting thin, but that's easily as good as this for warmth despite its age and knackered state. At full price I would give this 3 stars, but if you can get it for less, 4 stars - but you'll need the saving to buy a fleece.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bollocx, 19 Jun 2014
Went for an Xl size. Great and water proof. Nothing gets through it. Not thick enough to be warm. But roomy enough for a fleece underneath. Few pockets. Paid 45 - originally 110-150. V. Happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic jacket, 5 April 2014
absolutely fantastic jacket. keeps the warmth in and the wind out. almost too warm sometimes and incredibly light. can't fault it (apart from the horrible dead cat it comes with on the hood, which can thankfully be removed and binned)