5.0 out of 5 stars Superb piece of kit...!!!
Published on 19 Oct. 2011 by Mortice

2.0 out of 5 stars sounds great but flimsy internals ....
Worked great initially but obviously not built to last.

When i ordered it earlier in 2014 it was working great - easily blew away my laptops built in card.
It even has setting to work with higher resistance headphones (64+ ohm).

However over time started getting more and more "USB device not recognised errors" on various machines to the...
Published 8 days ago by HurdyGurdy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb piece of kit...!!!, 19 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Asus Xonaru3 Mobile USB Soundcard (Accessory)
Sitting here now with brilliant sound emerging from my Cambridge Soundworks 2.1 speaker system for the first time ever with my Acer laptop.This excellent USB soundcard arrived here about 2 hours ago and within 5 minutes of easy driver installation it was up and running. It didnt take long to fine tune the sound to suit my speakers and headphones via the very clear menu systems.You really can fine tune things very well and then save the different settings for anythjing you plug into the dongle.
The difference is quite astonishing too, I now have a clear 3 dimensional soundstage in front of me, giving real depth.
I can discern no lack of clarity at all and that is at all frequencies.
If your laptop has poor sound I would thoroughly recommend the Asus as a solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus Xonar U3 usb sound card vs Creative surround 5.1, 15 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Asus Xonaru3 Mobile USB Soundcard (Accessory)
I needed a sound card after being very dissapointed with the onboard sound on my laptop. After much searching on the internet the Xonar U3 and the Creative surround 5.1 seemed viable options, but I couldn't dedide which one so I bought both of them to try out.

I spent several days testing both sound cards doing a side by side comparison and in my oppinion the Xonar U3 is way ahead of the Creative surround 5.1 in sound quality.

I mainly use headphones and the Xonar U3's built in amp really does boost the output and goes much louder than you could possibly need, much louder than the Creative one.

The software with the Xonar installs easily and performs very well. In contrast, the software for the Creative takes forever to install and only really provides basic adjustments.

I compared the sound quality of both cards in games and music and much prefered the sound of the Xonar over the Creative.
The music and sound effects with the Xonar just seemed more lively and vivid somehow and the Dolby settings are impressive.

Both cards did a good job when it came to positional audio in games.

One thing that surprised me was how small the Xonar was compared to the Creative and yet seemed to out perform it easily.

If you need a USB sound card then don't waste your money like I did and get both, just get the Xonar U3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Audio, 15 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Asus Xonaru3 Mobile USB Soundcard (Accessory)
Substantial improvement in sound quality from a Sony Vaio AW31S/B feeding Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Delivered 2 days after placing my order.
Would definately recommend Asus Xoneru3.
Even when played through headphones I can hear an improvement.
Asus Xonaru3 Mobile USB Soundcard

5.0 out of 5 stars Xonar, 13 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Asus Xonaru3 Mobile USB Soundcard (Accessory)
I had a Creative X-Fi for so long because they're so established and reputable, but it has been nothing but hassle when it actually worked. I got this (fraction of the cost of an internal X-Fi) and it just worked straight away and sounds much better. Sigh. Creative are hustlers. They even outright lie about compatability on the packaging, famously. Xonar are everything you wish Creative are.

I can't recommend this enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars A stellar, yet not perfect, external sound card, 26 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Asus Xonaru3 Mobile USB Soundcard (Accessory)
I was looking for a sound card to replace the on-board audio in my laptop (it's started to hiss recently), however I wasn't looking to go far with my budget. This is what I came to, and I am glad to have purchased this.

Installation was easy, though it wasn't as time-saving as plug 'n' play.

The sound this U3 delivers is exceptional, though I'm no audiophile so it may differ to you. Of course, I also ordered this to fulfill my need for (virtual) surround sound - I do like to game. Delivered by Dolby Headphone and other technologies, it does that brilliantly.

Before I had this, the headphones I had (the high-quality Sony MDR-1R) seemed to apply too much bass for my liking. With the EQ facility, it has just about combated it. Even if this wasn't intended by Asus, this has pleased me.

There is, however, one issue which takes away the perfect rating: the fact that there is no switch on the unit to enable Dolby Headphone. As easy as it is to enable it via the included (and lightweight) software, I would have preferred to have a physical switch on the unit for instant use. A feature very reminiscent of the Gamecom 780 where there was a switch on one of the ear-cups.

Overall, this nifty audio solution has provided me, not only the surround sound I needed for my gaming/movies, but also a meager wealth of features. If there was a switch for surround sound, the Xonar U3 would have been even more exceptional.

4.0 out of 5 stars The packaging is nice and simple, 22 Sept. 2014
D. Cooke "Dax" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus Xonaru3 Mobile USB Soundcard (Accessory)
I purchased this item to enable me to have an optical output on my Intel NUC D34010WYK as my HT Amp doesn't have HDMI input. This is a little bulky, but otherwise works perfectly. The packaging is nice and simple, and the device looks quite good. It comes with both a USB extension lead (i suspect to enable you to plug something in next to it due to it's size) as well as a 3.5mm to optical (SPDIF/TOSLink) adapter which turns the headphone/audio out into an optical out.

This device then sends all DTS and Dolby Digital sound out via the optical output to my Yamaha AMP for surround sound.

All in all very pleased, and solved the only issue i had with the NUC; the lack of optical output.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really happy wiht purchase but....thinking upgrading U7, 6 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Asus Xonaru3 Mobile USB Soundcard (Accessory)
Really happy with Purchase but .
Compared to my Laptop soundcard this is amazing,The sound is clear and adjusting it wiht equaliser is fine.
I am already considering upograding to the U7 just because of the clarity of sound and enhancement.I htink if I want the perfect sound for the price I got upgrade but honestly this is great and am still in two minds wether to stick with this or Upgrade to U7 just becauise I have made do with real average sound for a while and only by chance I heard about USB soundcards as I am not to savvy to change the soundcard myself.
I am real happy wiht Purchase and listening music watching youtube Videos even playing Videos I downloaded from my Camera are all watchable just because of the sound and I get the most out my Headphones which before I wasnt sure of now I got this soundcard I am well chuffed and well music wise its heaven.
SO just5 for that reason I am not sure to upgrade to U7 as I am well happy with this especially for price and the U7 must be as such value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value & Improved Sound., 6 Oct. 2013
Vic325 (Maldon, Essex. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus Xonaru3 Mobile USB Soundcard (Accessory)
Certainly has improved the sound quality from my laptop. I would have rated 5 Star if the instructions included relating to the various functions were more detailed. Installation easy and quick and after some trial & error with the many settings and functions I now have great sound quality and amplification.

5.0 out of 5 stars very impressed, 4 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Asus Xonaru3 Mobile USB Soundcard (Accessory)
So small device and so many function.
im using it with Sennheiser pc320 and it work like a charm.
good for gaming and movies

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with most Android devices - and iPad..., 7 April 2013
This review is from: Asus Xonaru3 Mobile USB Soundcard (Accessory)
...Whilst you may lose some of the sound effect features that the Windows software and drivers offer, what I can say is that with the right cable (USB OTG for Android 4.1.x - most devices, or Camera Connection kit for iPad), this, for pocket money prices adds quite a bit of extra volume / sound quality to your headphone listening when out on the move...

My only criticism, it isn't the most 'compact' device, looking positively bloated compared to the AUDIOQUEST DRAGONFLY USB DIGITAL TO ANALOGUE CONVERTER, and it definitely doesn't sound as good - BUT, it is only a fraction of the cost (and, more compatible with smartphones!)

Looking at its intended use, for a PC - I can say that it will almost certainly sound better than the jack in the back of your PC - that is unless you already have an ASUS card on-board, in which case, probably not worth looking at this ;)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›