5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch
Fractal Design make some good kit and this is no exception.

Published on 30 Sep 2011 by G. James

2.0 out of 5 stars Power button getting stuck after just 1 month
Published 9 months ago by Juan Manuel Parrilla

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch, 30 Sep 2011
G. James "G. James" (Leicestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fractal Design Core 1000 Series Micro ATX Case - Black/Pearl (Accessory)
Fractal Design make some good kit and this is no exception.

The case is well finished - even black on the inside! The removable front panel has a grille and filter the whole height of the case. A 120mm Fractal Design fan is included - not excessively noisy but I used a Zalman fan mate to slow / quieten the fan down. There is a space for a side mounted inlet fan (120mm) and rear exhaust fan (80/92mm).

The power buttons, 2x usb 2.0 and audio I/O are located on the right hand side of the front panel. Unusual choice but it does keep the front very clean and minimal.

The case will take a uATX or (as in my case) an ITX board. All the stand-offs and screws are included.

My favourite feature is the HD mounting bracket which is quite novel and includes rubber grommets to reduce vibration. This had made a huge difference from my old case and HD noise is greatly reduced.

Overall, a good case for not much more than some cheapo generic pap. Definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case for the size., 19 Feb 2013
For a budget, smaller form case this HAS to be the one to buy. I used it for a budget build and have acheived a reasonably powerful machine with this case. The case is held back from larger / multiple parts by its size, but if your spending the cash on multiple graphics cards and a ginormous air cooler then you'll probably be after a more expensive case! I'd recommend having a few cable ties or zip ties handy to tidy cables up.

Overall for £30 its a bargain.

Things I put inside:

- Fractal 650W PSU
- Gigabyte mATX motherboard with 8gb of RAM
- AMD Phennom II 4 core processor (3.4 ghz), with Corsair H55 closed loop water cooler.
- Club 3D 2gb HD7850 Graphics Card
- 1 OCZ Agility 60gb SSD
- 1 3.5 inch 500gb Hard Drive
- CD drive
- Extra 120mm fan (because I brought the H55 I needed to get a set of screws for the extra fan - £0.50 ish)

About £480 total

Pro's / build notes:

- These aren't the most expensive parts that will fit in this case so with more money you can make it more powerfull than the system above.
- I removed a couple of small knobs and the fan clips in the bezel to allow me to run the screws that come with the H55 through the fan, into the case, and then into the radiator. The screws were just about long enough so use the H55 fan to be sure.
- I really would recommend the H55 for this case as it is compareable to the big aircoolers - Cool Master Hyper 412, Noctua NH D14 - both on price and performance but it takes up a fraction of the space. I moved the fractal fan that comes with the case onto the side vent as I think it looks a bit cooler there. (Excuse the pun).
- It also has a spot for a 92mm exhaust fan.
- The apparently unique vertical mounting hard drive mounts allow you to mount up to 2 HDDs/SSDs without compromising airflow from the front to the motherboard / graphics card. I have seen them mounted on either side, but I think its designed to accept them on the innerside.
- Upper drive mount comes with an adapter for a 3.5 inch device which can accept a hard drive, thus saving space below on the vertical "tray".
- Takes up less space underneath / on a desk than a normal sized case.
- Looks great. - I didn't want something that looks like it got robbed off the set of Batman or ET's face crossed with a mobile disco.

Con's / Cautions:

- The fan that comes with the case is clipped in with no screws. So expect to buy some if your going to move the fan for some reason. I got caught out with this when I was installing the cooler.
- Any CPU aircooler will need to be low profile. (I believe the clearance is about 130mm max)
- Limited to mATX and mITX motherboards.
- Not really any features for cable management. Luckily the PSU came with a great velcro strap to tidy everything up. A couple of good size zip ties can solve this problem too.
- Power LED is incredibly bright!!!
- The 3.5 inch adapter did not come with anti vibration gommits. If your not using all the grommits from the vertical tray, you can make these fit with some clippers.
Corsair Hydro Series H55 All-In-One Liquid Cooler for CPU

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value case, 4 July 2014
I had first bought a Corsair Carbide case, but being for both ATX as well as the micro ATX keyboard I had, was a bit too big so I switched it for the Fractal Design Core 1000. Generally, this is a good case, with a big plus point being 3 areas to mount fans, and with an open mesh system with filters. Other reviewers have liked the hard drive mounting system, but I am not so enamoured of this - it was not intuitive, and fitting 2 hard drives in there was a squeeze. But worse was, because of the way the hard drives are positioned, I had a struggle connecting the power connectors to the bottom drive - something I did not have in both my old case, and the Corsair I had tried. In the end, with a bit of jiggling around, made it work, but didn't like having to force the cable. The Corsair was a delight to install - everything clicked together brilliantly, and there was an ingenious drive mounting system, and by comparison, the Fractal felt a bit more basic. But overall in the end, it works, and looks good, at reasonable value.

2.0 out of 5 stars Power button getting stuck after just 1 month, 1 April 2014
Overall the case looks kind of cheap, but that's expected for a cheap case. The main issue / problem, is that just after 1 month the power button is already getting stuck. I mean, I have used the computer maybe 4 times a week, which means I have used that button around 20 times, and it is not going smooth anymore. After pressing it, I have to correct its position with my finger, otherwise its stuck mid way.

I expect soon having to use a stick or something, because this kind of mechanic failures get worse over time. And soon also having to buy a new case.

So basically, a case, something that you can expect it will work for years, it is already failing in 1 month, with the only mechanical thing they have to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual design, 21 Feb 2014
David R. (Reading, Berks) - See all my reviews
I am well pleased with this case. I had no problems in assembling a new computer in it - apart from (as someone else has mentioned) getting the blank out to fit the DVD unit. I've noticed that information on the size of computer cases can be quite wrong. This one is advertised as being 40 x 20 x 45 cm. I've just measured mine and it's 35.5 x 17.5 x 42 cm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fractal Design's signature build quality at an epic price point., 22 Aug 2014
+ Front 120mm fan is very quiet while shifting air quite well
+ Front mesh has a foam filter all the way down the front to catch dust
+ Front mesh is made from sturdy metal instead of plastic
+ Nice black thumb screws for hard drive cage, pci slot covers and side panels.
+ With hard drive cage removed the case is very easy to work in
+ Front panel frame is very strong, matte plastic.
+ Side panels and case overall is very solid and sturdy.
+ Hard drive cage has rubber washers to reduce vibration.

- no marks on some front header cables to show positive and negative wires (coloured wire is positive)
- paint finish is a bit rough to the touch on some sides of the case
- not much cable management options
- power and hdd leds are REALLY bright (but nothing a few strips of electrical tape won't fix).
- limited hard drive capacity.

On the subject of hard drives I thought I would tell prospective buyers a little trick I learned. The case fan is quiet and my TX3 evo cooler with a Gelid silent 9 fan is also very quiet but I noticed quite a loud buzzing coming from the case. I worked out it was the hard drive which I had mounted with the appropriate long screws through the pre installed rubber washers. I had tightened the screws onto the washers quite aggressively, so I loosened them a half turn each so the rubber washer was not being tightly compressed by the screw. I turned the system on and it was much quieter. I could still feel the vibration of the hard drive on the side of the case but the noise was far less noticeable.

my biggest gripe is the lack of cable management, but I gave this 5 stars because it only cost me £30 but felt like it should cost much more in how sturdy and well designed it was. Would definitely recommend over the tinny, rubbish cases usually found in this price range.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy., 2 July 2012
I wanted a micro ATX case to house a budget gaming computer in the living area.

This one looks good from the outside, all black and no fussy detailing. I would describe the look as minimalist.

Putting the components in was trouble free. There are mounts for two hard disk drives, but if you have a long graphics card (I use an HD6870), only the upper one can be used. The HDDs are mounted to take up minimal space, on rubber grommets that reduce vibration. Very nice.

The case is supplied with a front 120mm fan only. The rear fan mount will take either 92mm or 80mm fans. I use a Arctic Freezer 7 Pro cooler on top of my aging Pentium E5300 processor, and noted that there is not too much room between the end of the cooler and the side of the case, maybe 1/2 inch, so no monster coolers in this one.

The only problem I encountered was the front panel wire for the reset switch; it was not long enough to reach the pins on the motherboard. This was strange, because all the rest of the connecters did reach, although with not much slack. I have knocked a star of for this reason.

Overall, I am very happy with this case. It satisfies my needs and looks more expensive than it is, so I would recommend it.

Edit: with a little fiddling about, I managed to get the reset switch wire to stretch far enough - only just.

5.0 out of 5 stars neat looks, 6 Jun 2014
for the money this is a good and neat looking micro ATX case, plenty of room easy to fit parts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great case, one drawback, 12 May 2014
Great case really like it and the filters work well if you plan your airflow well
Warning: mine was sharp and has cut me a couple of times

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sff gaming case - perfect., 1 May 2014
Perfect gaming case, small size but allows for full size gpu. Very good cooling too.

Quality materials buy with confidence folks