4.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, 11 Jun 2011
V. Cano - See all my reviews
This review is from: MODERN WOMEN (Park Avenue Series, Book #4) (Kindle Edition)
What I liked the best of this book was the honesty in the writing. The steady-eyed, sometimes stark look at male-female relationships that still make the world turn.
The setting is fabulous all on its own. Incorporating the raging atmosphere of the 60s and 70s, the decades take on a role of their own, sometimes becoming as important to the characters' lives as the plot. The feminist movements, the changes in attitude that the reader sees towards women as the story progresses is astounding, and for me, who did not live through those years, a revelation.
I'm in love with the characters that fill this book. I finished reading it earlier this afternoon, and their voices are still roaming around my head. They are so vibrant and complex, so different one from the other, that there's no way to forget any of them, or to hate any of them. They are all written with acute sensitivity, creating balanced and believable characters.
This is truly a book about women striving to find themselves and happiness, be it within the boundaries that society laid on them or outside of them. It is a story full of love and hate, of revenge and betrayal, but it is mainly about the lives of these women and the men who touched their lives. It was a joy to follow them through their lives.
I can easily recommend this book to women and men alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars (Post) Modern Women!, 22 Jun 2012
I am happily reviewing Modern Women just as I am happily revisiting the book. This book is as necessary now as it was in its historical setting and when it was written. Perhaps more so, as there appears to exist a worrying complacency towards the feminist issues it raises, now. . .

Personally, it means a lot to me as, first time I read it as a teenager, I had never before read a book that allowed women to enjoy sex, or use sex wittingly for their own agenda. I'd never before read a book that showed women questioning their roles and exploring their potential. Women saying 'NO' where they'd usually say 'yes', or 'YES!' where they usually say 'no'. I read it in secret as a Catholic teenager whose mother had had it lent to her by a neighbour's lesbian daughter. I think my mum thought it was lesbian fiction and accepted the lend out of politeness but didn't read it - that was still enough to spark my interest. (I kept that book by the way. It just 'went missing!'.)

I just loved that the women actually had thoughts. And that they had sex! This was most important as my burgeoning hormones coming alive in a mad way had filled me with shame and self-disgust (bless me father for I have urges...).

Better than SATC and much less damaging than 'Fifty Shades...'

It may not do for all what it did for me but you've nothing to lose. It's a great book, pertinent and relevant, likeable characters, accessible -not shallow- and if nothing else, a really pleasant read!