5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to read but worth doing so
I do not like to criticise reviewers as I feel everyone is entitled to their opinion. But on this occasion I have to respectfully disagree with the reviewer who stated the McCanns criticised others and took no responsibility themselves in this book.
Throughout this harrowing, upsetting but extremely well written book Kate McCann has constantly questioned how they...
Published on 19 May 2011 by Kay C

1.0 out of 5 stars A desperate appeal for funds?
Poorly written, seems more like an appeal eo you feel sorry for them and donate more money to the fund!

Very one sided and it appears they do not want any opinion other than their own to be heard, they do not acknowledge any failings in themselves or if they could have done anything to prevent this.

I was left with the opinion, if this was a working...
Published 19 months ago by Alan Partridge

1.0 out of 5 stars A desperate appeal for funds?, 22 Oct. 2013

I was left with the opinion, if this was a working class family who this had happened to, there would be no sympathy, tv appearances and a "spokesperson" and social services would be all over them for leaving their children unattended. That is unbelievible, but seems to have been "erased" from this account.

1.0 out of 5 stars All about Kate - not Madeleine, 16 May 2012
A. Meijer - See all my reviews
Just a few points:

Why are there NO photographs of Maddie in PdL in the book? Not even 'the last photograph' by the pool?
Why are there MORE photographs of Kate and Kate and Gerry, than of Maddie?
Why were her health records denied to the Portuguese police? It is standard procedure in most police forces.
Why was there no uncontaminated DNA in the apartment and it had to be collected from Rothley?
Why didn't they use the free nanny service for the evenings? The same nannies who looked after the children during the day, so hardly strangers.
Why did they still leave Maddie alone when she told them in the morning she'd been crying the previous night and why had they not come?

Most of the book dealt with Kate McCann's life, the holiday merits one chapter - we learn nothing about Maddie, her likes and dislikes, things she said. What she created in the creche. Where is all that stuff that mothers can't stop talking about?

3.0 out of 5 stars Started well, but gradually just became a series of ..., 12 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Madeleine: Our daughter's disappearance and the continuing search for her (Kindle Edition)
Started well , but gradually just became a series of very well remembered names and kates opinion of these people . The amount of detail is overwhelming to say the least . She formed a friendship with most of them , but feel it is honest as far as it goes. The mystery goes on I have formed my own ideas on what happened and I would think a drug overdose perhaps the night before , as were very vigilant on the 3rd of may when the twins would have been alone with no drugs we would presume if in fact maddie died from an overdose . All possibilities seem to be wrong but surely it didn't happen on the 3rd in such a short time scale . No one can think that quick and dispose of a body and why would someone take her just too kill her instantly , got to be a fatal accident then they would be really desperate and had to save their skins so went ahead with a well thought out plan , and it worked didn't it ?

1.0 out of 5 stars Raises more questions than it answers, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Madeleine (Hardcover)
Despite the fact that her picture adorns the front cover, this book is not about Madeleine McCann. If you were hoping by the end of it to know more about Madeleine, to feel as if she was a real little girl, then you will be sorely disappointed. Madeleine is a bit part player in the story that bears her name. This book is about her mother.

Although ''Madeleine'' leaves you with no 'sense' of Madeleine herself, it may afford you with an insight into Kate McCann's personality you could have happily lived without. Does she come over as a grieving mother? No. Does she come across as an angry, vengeful and spiteful woman? You bet she does.
Because this is a book about blame and getting even. Kate McCann blames everyone bar herself and her husband for the circumstances which led to their three year old daughter vanishing. There is no sense of anguish that at the time whatever happened to Madeleine was happening, they were not there, having decided that dinner came before sons and daughters. What there is, however, is a series of montages where Kate exacts revenge on those she appears to regard as ''the enemy'' or who appear to have offended her overwhelming sense of her own importance. So we are treated to her spiteful description of casually dressed police officers, too busy doing their job to fawn all over her, offering refreshments; plummy-voiced neighbours whose offer of help was met with a shouted obscenity and law enforcement officers who had the temerity to speak their native tongue in their native land. Even the priest is singled out for having a face that was too ''cheery'' for her liking.

By the end of the book you may well feel as I did - that I knew nothing about Madeleine, who is less a central figure and more an abstract concept in this book, and far more than I either wanted or needed to know about her mother. If you were hoping that despite all that the book may have some literary merit then I'm afraid you are in for a double disappointment. It is utterly turgid from cover to cover and manages to be both nauseating in it's bitter, hectoring tone and flat as a pancake. If you have a mother-in-law whom you detest with a passion, buy her this for Christmas. Revenge will be very sweet.

2.0 out of 5 stars What's in a name?, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Madeleine (Hardcover)
Although I bought the book I find it almost impossible to buy into it. I will leave others to decide whether this is a heart breaking account or a pure work of fiction.

I will review just the first line of the book which reads as follows, "Before 3 May 2007, I was Kate Healy". Readers might ask so what? Well clearly this statement is untruthful. A tiny amount of detective work online shows that Kate signed herself on the Ocean Club crèche records for Madeleine and the twins as "Kate McCann" in the period 29 April 2007 to 3 May 2007 except for Madeleine on the afternoon of the 2 May 2007.

As Kate states on page 349 "On 4 May 2007, I became Kate McCann. According to my passport, driving licence and bank account I was Kate Healy. I hadn't kept my maiden name for any particular reason - it was just who I was and who I'd always been". On page 356 Kate also confirms "As Kate Healy, I could do what I liked, when I liked".

When I have to question the authors name before and after the 3 May 2007 should I not start to question the rest of what I am being told throughout the book?

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 16 Sept. 2013
Trying her hardest to justify to everyone that she is innocent. Her and her husband should be doing time behind bars for what they did.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why no lie detector?, 4 Dec. 2013
I think I would have demanded I got a lie detector done if people thought I may have killed my own daughter. Why haven't the McCanns done one? I wonder......

1.0 out of 5 stars UTTER CRAP DOGS DON'T LIE!!!, 8 Dec. 2013
what an utter pile of crap!!! what human being leaves their 3 children asleep unsupervised in a hotel room on holiday????? Is this book an attempt to justify??? If they were not doctors they would have been vilified....And what about the overwhelming evidence provided by Marin Grimes and his team???? Dogs don't lie!!! The McCanns are responsible for Maddies death either directly or indirectly - and that's the bit that needs solving......this book is utter hogwash and referring to Maddies genitals well that's totally inappropriate shame on you Kate McCann!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Why, 14 Oct. 2012
Always puzzled as to why they left their kids alone whilst they went to the bar? No real explanation given!

1.0 out of 5 stars No freedom of speech, 24 May 2012
Dp Scholefield "Old fart" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I submitted an honest review of this book, added my own opinions (an opinion is just that surely? I'm not saying that my opinion is correct but it is my opinion nevertheless)
A faceless keyboard warrior named JCB disagreed with this and the review was deleted.
OK, I shall try again but keep it brief.
A couple abandoned their children so that they could keep their social life. Their daugher was abducted (and as a parent I truly hope that she is with a childless couple who will love her as parents should love their children).
An appeal fund is set up to raise money to find their child and this book is released to add to the coffers.
A question I would like to ask the McCanns is 'have you sold your house and added the proceeds to the fund or have you continued to live your comfortable middle class lives?'
I think I know the answer.