5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reference for Anyone Learning R
I've been working on a microarray data analysis project for the past month using R.
Published on 14 Jun 2009 by K. Pontikos

3.0 out of 5 stars Great reference but does not have a clear objective
I have used Crawley's other book as a text for teaching R and I like it for introducing statistics methods and giving the R examples of how to use the different techniques. This book is very much of the same style. So I agree with the other reviewers that it is a very extensive and comprehensive guide to R and it is a perfect desk reference.

But if it aims to...
Published on 17 Dec 2008 by Andrew Dalby

3.0 out of 5 stars Great reference but does not have a clear objective, 17 Dec 2008
Andrew Dalby "ardalby" (oxford) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The R Book (Hardcover)

But if it aims to either be a guide to programming or a guide to statistical methods then it fails in both aims. As a programming guide it is not laid out by methods and as a guide to statistics there is no consistent thread through the text.

For me the chapter on Simulation Models is a perfect example of where it fails. You have cookbook like examples for a few simulations but these are not easily adapted to your own problems so they are not a guide to programming, and they are very different types of simulations so they do not teach simulation.

There is also a lack of pointers to other resources and further reading - the bibliography is largely detached from the text and it would be a simple and useful step to improve the cross-referencing by including relevant references at the end of chapters rather than only at the end of the book.

So I will keep y copy close at hand to look for examples and methods but it is not something that I would recommend for everyday use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reference for Anyone Learning R, 14 Jun 2009
K. Pontikos "niko" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The R Book (Hardcover)
I was initially reluctant about buying this book because it's expensive and when it comes to programming the online reference and Google are usually enough for all programming languages I've come across. However out of frustration with the R online documentation which is nowhere as comprehensive and clear (this is really one of R's weak points in my opinion) at it ought to be I decided to buy this book. Let just say that beside being very good value for money compared to other much thinner R books out there (i.e. like the R Graphics book), it covers all the essential background such as working with indices, data frames and tables (which for someone coming from other languages are really the best features of R) in pretty extensive detail. If you are going to buy an R book, this is the first R book you should buy. You will then be able to make a more informed decision when it comes to buying the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars satisfied R user, 9 Mar 2011
This review is from: The R Book (Hardcover)
This book helps me a lot on the analysis of my data, however, it is not consistent throughout the chapters. In one chapter you read about how to do something that is not applied on the following chapters. Although the book is quite complete and the information is very clear, it looks like the book was written in a hurry.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disorganized and poorly presented jumble of a book, 11 Mar 2011
T. Thurston (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The R Book (Hardcover)
Normally the Amazon reviews are reliable but I feel let down on this one. I parted with £[] for this edition on the basis of the positive reviews here but now I wish had read more about it on Amazon.com where there is some more negative (and in my opinion more accurate) feedback.

I was put off as soon as I picked it up by the abysmal formatting of the programming code examples. They are typeset in Arial without any regard for spacing or alignment, and they compare very badly to any of Donald Knuth's books (for example) where the programming code is beautifully presented. To me, this is not just a matter of aesthetics -- proper spacing, indentation, and highlighting of keywords make code examples much easier to understand and much more useful.

The rest of the book design is little better. For the table of contents you just get a single page with the chapter headings. There's nothing else at all to tell you what's in each chapter except a paragraph or two at the start of each one. There are no numbered subheadings, no running titles etc, and yet some of the chapters are 80 pages long! So it's really hard to find where a topic starts and stops. The page breaks all appear to be completely arbitrary as well, so you get breaks in the middle of code examples, in the middle of long bullet lists, in the middle of maths formulae, and even display boxes. All of these add up to make the damn thing unpleasant to use.

My strong recommendation is to go to a real bookshop or a library and have a good look through it to see if these issues bother you, before you part with your money. As for me, I am back on my hunt for a good general purpose book on R.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Edition cannot be searched - do not buy it!, 20 Feb 2011
This review is from: The R Book (Kindle Edition)
This is an important reference book if you use the R package, but its hardly portable and so I thought it would be good to have the Kindle edition so I could use it wherever I happen to be. The problem is that the publishers (Wiley) have made a terrible job in producing the Kindle version.

Firstly, you cannot search it! The search tool simply does not work.
Secondly, the index is reproduced in a tiny font that does not enlarge.
Thirdly, even if you can manage to read the index, it only contains page numbers of the printed edition which are totally unusable in the Kindle edition.

Navigation aids are critical in electronic books, but particularly so in any reference work that is hundreds of pages long like this one.

Wiley is a major publisher of reference works. Are all their books like this? Don't they check their files before publication?

The Amazon rating system forces you to give any reviewed book a star rating. Please note the one star in this review refers only to the Kindle Edition. Buy the printed book instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. This is it, 4 May 2007
This review is from: The R Book (Hardcover)
Everything you wanted to know about R. Plus loads of things you didn't know you wanted to know, but are glad to know now you know.

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant resource. I bought this a couple of years ..., 14 Nov 2014
This review is from: The R Book (Hardcover)
A brilliant resource. I bought this a couple of years ago when I was making the switch from matlab/spss for data processing and analysis. I now use R for all that stuff. The modelling chapters are really good. The only reason I didn't give it 5/5 is that it doesn't cover ggplot2 (or at least, my edition doesn't).

5.0 out of 5 stars The real statistics, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: The R Book (Hardcover)
All statistics learned at school and university takes a different perspectives after
having read (and used!) this book.

The author uses the powerful language and statistical computing platform, R, to
revisit classical statistics concept and to introduce modern ones. The style is synthetic,
but exhaustive. The very many examples are illuminating.

This is a book always to be kept at hand when dealing with statistics.

5.0 out of 5 stars I keep it to hand, 19 Jan 2013
Blaise F. Egan "blaisefegan" (East Anglia, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The R Book (Hardcover)
This is my R bible now. It is where I go to do something in R that I don't know how to do. It covers a wide range of stats techniques and how to get the best out of the packages.

5.0 out of 5 stars The R Book: teaching statistics while doing statistics, 5 Feb 2009
G. F. Manuel (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The R Book (Hardcover)
Basically, I can say the R book is an excellent book. It covers not only the basic R commands, but it introduces a lot of statistical scenarios where it can be used. I found it useful not only as a software manual but also as a statistics reference book. By far, the best basic-to-average level book on R available at this moment.

The R Book