5.0 out of 5 stars When Reggae ruled

Published 6 months ago by David Sullivan

5.0 out of 5 stars When Reggae ruled, 31 May 2014
R. Supward "LPF" (Durham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Trojan Presents: Classic Reggae - The Soundtrack To Jamaica (MP3 Download)
'The Soundtrack To Jamaica' it says on the cover. The Soundtrack To My Youth, I call it. A collection of the very best reggae the 60's & 70's (and some from the 80s) offered from Trojan Records. We were reggae crazy back then - and, as I recall, had the Summers to go with it. So many memories of those halcyon days contained on these CDs. I used to say that I wouldn't be 14 again even if you bumped my pocket money up to 2/6d. Listening to this collection again, I'd give anything to be 14 again, even for just one day. There isn't a duff track here. One or two tracks didn't dredge any long lost memories but that's probably because they're so deeply buried after all this time, but it was still great to hear them (even for what seemed like the first time). I'd certainly buy the rest in this series and I can recommend them to anyone who sought out those two tone trousers, Crombie coats, Ben Sherman shirts, and braces in the 70's.

Summer's on it's way so put this collection on your chosen device - it was just called a record player back then, and relive those memories or even acquire some new ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars feel good sampler. makes winter blues disappear!, 5 Nov. 2012
Got this on a whim as already have a load of trojan samplers on cd... mostly dub but this is a great compilation for almost any purpose.... housework, post weekend recovery on a sunday afternoon...heck it even makes driving to work on a Monday feel like a joyous occasion!

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't please everyone,but 95% of this brilliant Trojan selection pleased me., 14 Jan. 2015
To be honest if I had been offered just one of these gems for CD's at this price I would have snatched their arm off. .There are a couple of tracks that I think hang on but one man's glad is er...another man's sad.
So much great Desmond as there should be, the Liquidator from my early teens. "Will you **** off (insert football club you dislike/rival manor). Skinhead Moonstomp from 170 1971 I think. I remember being 10 or 11 and hearing it at primary school discos. Then two great , great cuts from Bob Marley , "Small Axe" and the magnifico "Trench Town Rock".
You don't have to be black to 'get' "Young gifted and black". A joyous yet proud and righteous declaration of intent.I could ramble something positive about nearly every track even the couple I'm so/so about ,I don't dislike. Again returning to teenage discos Greyhound 's plea for harmony "Black and White". Ken Boothe's "Everything I own", always an excuse for a slowie and snog...I'm not quite sure why Janet Kaye's "Silly Games" is doing on a Classic reggae album, but I'm pretty damn chuffed it is. Great tune. Amazing voice. 40 tracks on the download loike? £4.99. It's a winna innit?

5.0 out of 5 stars That warm Jamaican sound, 26 Oct. 2012
A superb album containing a lot of my old favourites from a much happier time for music.
Many of the tracks conjure up an image of warmth that only Reggae can. Always makes me think of summer!
Happy music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw quality, 30 Jun. 2014
I've been listening to a few reggae classics recently and decided to search them out. I found them all on this album. Great songs from a classic label. Favourite tracks are 'Long Shot Kick De Bucket', 'Skinhead Moonstomp', 'Small Axe', 'Israelites', 'Liquidator' - well most of the double album really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Dec. 2014
Very good music by various-artist. lots of the old songs.Brilliant just listening to this album. Money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laid back and smooth, 8 Jan. 2013
Bookie (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Forty timeless tracks. Mostly the more commercial stuff and artistes, but nothing wrong with that. A relaxing, truly laid back sound that will take you to those golden beaches and turquoise seas. Calming, sensual and a change from some of the belting, thumping music that we're assaulted with daily. If you enjoy reggae, there's nothing here not to like. Excellent Trojan value, go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reggae at it's best., 27 Nov. 2014
For someone who was not a great fan of reggae. I can honestly say that I think that this cd has converted me to a certain extent. It has a very good selection of reggae songs on different themes. Which is why I think I have been sort of converted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ole times music that will bring back memories., 9 Nov. 2014
Really good, I bought following watching Pleb and it reminded me of the innocent period of reggae before it developed to what we hear today. Glad I bought it and it's packed with songs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mix with salsa, 15 May 2014
Liked this very much though not all tracks. Good listening especially with summer on the horizon. Pleased I bought it, reggae through the world cup mixed with a little salsa, bliss