on 24 May 2011
If you are generally offended by Southpark or Team America, or had no desire to see them, then I would imagine you won't like this either. But since it has the same creators shouldn't that be obvious????

There is a lot here for people who are more Broadway then Southpark fans too though, especially all the little homages to other musicals throughout (Wicked progressions in 'you and me', 'Hasa Diga' - Lion King, and 'I Believe' parodies Sound of Music.) About 1/2 the soundtrack is highly addictive and will stick in your head - careful singing some of those lyrics in public though! The rest is enjoyable, but the highlights for me are the first five songs and I Believe.

You also have to have a sense of humor about religion in general to appreciate the musical, but I can say as a rather liberal Christian I didn't find it offensive - but you need to have an open mind and also realize there is in-show context to the songs that makes the overall message less offensive then the straight lyrics. Overall, especially having seen the actual show, the show is quite good-hearted about religion and although it pokes fun at Mormonism I didn't find it to be mean spirited.

For the one star reviewers(particularly on itunes)... why are you seeking out something you are predisposed to find offensive? If you don't like it.... Turn it off, like a light switch... or put it in a box and CRUSH IT! ;)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 June 2012
From the creative geniuses behind "South Park" and "Avenue Q" comes the soundtrack to the multi Tony Award winning musical "The Book of Mormon" and what a soundtrack it is! South Park co-creator Trey Parker's fascination with the Mormon faith is well documented in his various works including "Orgazmo" and the classic "South Park" epsiode "All About Mormons" so it can come as no surprise that it features so prominently in his latest project. Joined by his regular collaborator and "South Park" co-creator Matt Stone and Robert Lopez co-writer of the puppet based musical "Avenue Q" they have managed to create something quite special. If you're a fan of their previous work then you need to buy this album. "The Book of Mormon" is hilarious, offensive and gives you a toe tappingly good time.

These guys are lucky that Christian Extremists don't have their finger on the pop culture pulse like the Muslim extremists do because they'd be the top of their hit lists. "Hasa Diga Eebowai" features references to giving God a good rodgering in several places that are bound to offend anyone who's a huge fan of the big man. The Book of Mormon is not for the easily offended. The humour prevalent in "South Park", "Team America", "Orgazmo" and "Avenue Q" is rife here. No one is safe from these guys and they don't pull their punches. The language used is as strong as you'd expect and really isn't suitable for young kids unless you want one of those awkward phone calls from their teacher expressing their concern at the number of colourful metaphors your children appear to know.

The songs are brilliant. There are tributes and side swipes at many of the major musicals ("Lion King" being one of the more obvious ones). There's not really a bad track on here but for me there are some clear stand out songs. "I Believe" has to be my personal favourite track here and it is a true epic that proves this show is the equal to any musical on Broadway. "I Am Africa" is another classic and my first taste of "The Book of Mormon". "Making Things Up Again" is also a stand out song for me although I'll never know what frogs have done deserve to be inflicted to such atrocities.

In short listen to the samples here, search Youtube for the Tony Awards performance of "I Believe" and then buy this album and learn it word for word.
on 25 August 2013
Having seen the show it was great to hear all the songs again and the recording of the original Broadway cast is terrific. It's a good old fashioned musical with a warm heart and a simple message - AND some words you won't have heard in song lyrics before! Enjoy!
on 2 July 2013
Great soundtrack; not for the easily offended! If you've seen the show and loved it then buy away! Great quality download. Amazon downloader was a bit of a pain to use first time but once I had 'authorised' my computer it downloaded just fine..
on 1 July 2011
As a serious South Park and Team America fan I have been seriously disappointed with recent episodes of South Park but after listening to this I can understand why Matt and Trey haven't been giving South Park their complete attention for the last while.

The songs are very catchy but not completely offensive, in fact they don't say anything against the Mormon religion, they just emphasise some of the crazier bits of it.

Personally my favourites were "Making things up again" and "All-American Prophet"
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 11 July 2015
After finding out that the songwriter for Disney's "Frozen" (Bobby Lopez) was behind the songs in the Book of Mormon, I was really curious to hear his songs in this musical. I wanted to listen to this CD to get an idea of what the musical would be like before investing in West End tickets which are very pricey. To be honest, after listening to the CD I now almost feel like I've seen the musical!

The musical is full of catchy songs that I find myself humming hours after listening to them, and you really get a feel for the story covered in the show just from the CD. The story is simultaneously silly, funny, very loosely educational about Mormons, and has a more serious underlying message that is in some ways anti-religion so will probably resonate best with athiests, agnostics and people who don't take the sanctity of religion too seriously.

Important Note: Although written by the songwriter of Frozen, this is no Disney-esque musical! It is definitely for an edgier adult audience. The show pokes fun of Mormons and to some extent Christianity. The lyrics to many of the songs are full of risque (and sometimes blasphemous) humour, with a liberal sprinkling of swear words, so if you're sensitive to that - this probably isn't the musical for you.
on 15 July 2012
Great cd....
Some clever music and quite strong lyrics but overall a super musical.
A great show with an amazing journoy and story line.
on 26 July 2011
I'm a bit of a musical geek and after listening to the previews of the songs I thought it was worth buying.
Of course I loved it but be warned if you are easily offended it's likely this is not for you. There are of course some songs that are for everyone including 'you and me (but mostly me)' which has to be my favourite track.
Also the parodying of certain musicals was much appreciated too.
on 6 June 2013
Cleverest, funniest thing I've heard in years. Perfectly skewers the musical genre in the process of delivering character and story-driven gags, which happen to be hilarious. I've seen the show, so have no idea if it makes sense without the connecting dialogue, but the songs that stand alone like You and Me (but mostly me) and killer lines scattered throughout make this worth every penny.
on 15 April 2013
We went to see this at the Prince of Wales theatre in London the day before it premiered and although I didn't really know what to expect, I absolutely loved it.

The music and lyrics are clever and witty, although not recommended for those with delicate ears! If you're a fan of South Park and have seen Orgazmo and felt amused rather than outraged, then you'll enjoy this.