5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific new Broadway addition - but you may need to MAN UP
If you are generally offended by Southpark or Team America, or had no desire to see them, then I would imagine you won't like this either. But since it has the same creators shouldn't that be obvious????

Published on 24 May 2011 by lunasera

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange Mormon subject
Bought on spec as a gift for someone else at Xmas. It was played once when I was listening but I was not impressed. The lyrics were wierd and the music was unforgettable but that was only the impression of a 70 year old. The recipient may well have listened to it again and more closely and enjoyed it.
Published 15 months ago by SarkBus

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific new Broadway addition - but you may need to MAN UP, 24 May 2011
This review is from: The Book Of Mormon [Explicit] (MP3 Download)

There is a lot here for people who are more Broadway then Southpark fans too though, especially all the little homages to other musicals throughout (Wicked progressions in 'you and me', 'Hasa Diga' - Lion King, and 'I Believe' parodies Sound of Music.) About 1/2 the soundtrack is highly addictive and will stick in your head - careful singing some of those lyrics in public though! The rest is enjoyable, but the highlights for me are the first five songs and I Believe.

You also have to have a sense of humor about religion in general to appreciate the musical, but I can say as a rather liberal Christian I didn't find it offensive - but you need to have an open mind and also realize there is in-show context to the songs that makes the overall message less offensive then the straight lyrics. Overall, especially having seen the actual show, the show is quite good-hearted about religion and although it pokes fun at Mormonism I didn't find it to be mean spirited.

For the one star reviewers(particularly on itunes)... why are you seeking out something you are predisposed to find offensive? If you don't like it.... Turn it off, like a light switch... or put it in a box and CRUSH IT! ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Cause God loves Mormons and he wants some more!, 23 Jun. 2012
Mr. B. Calverley (Lancaster) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Book Of Mormon [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
From the creative geniuses behind "South Park" and "Avenue Q" comes the soundtrack to the multi Tony Award winning musical "The Book of Mormon" and what a soundtrack it is! South Park co-creator Trey Parker's fascination with the Mormon faith is well documented in his various works including "Orgazmo" and the classic "South Park" epsiode "All About Mormons" so it can come as no surprise that it features so prominently in his latest project. Joined by his regular collaborator and "South Park" co-creator Matt Stone and Robert Lopez co-writer of the puppet based musical "Avenue Q" they have managed to create something quite special. If you're a fan of their previous work then you need to buy this album. "The Book of Mormon" is hilarious, offensive and gives you a toe tappingly good time.

These guys are lucky that Christian Extremists don't have their finger on the pop culture pulse like the Muslim extremists do because they'd be the top of their hit lists. "Hasa Diga Eebowai" features references to giving God a good rodgering in several places that are bound to offend anyone who's a huge fan of the big man. The Book of Mormon is not for the easily offended. The humour prevalent in "South Park", "Team America", "Orgazmo" and "Avenue Q" is rife here. No one is safe from these guys and they don't pull their punches. The language used is as strong as you'd expect and really isn't suitable for young kids unless you want one of those awkward phone calls from their teacher expressing their concern at the number of colourful metaphors your children appear to know.

The songs are brilliant. There are tributes and side swipes at many of the major musicals ("Lion King" being one of the more obvious ones). There's not really a bad track on here but for me there are some clear stand out songs. "I Believe" has to be my personal favourite track here and it is a true epic that proves this show is the equal to any musical on Broadway. "I Am Africa" is another classic and my first taste of "The Book of Mormon". "Making Things Up Again" is also a stand out song for me although I'll never know what frogs have done deserve to be inflicted to such atrocities.

In short listen to the samples here, search Youtube for the Tony Awards performance of "I Believe" and then buy this album and learn it word for word.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book of Mormon - a great old fashioned musical, 25 Aug. 2013
R. Gregory (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Book of Mormon (Audio CD)
Having seen the show it was great to hear all the songs again and the recording of the original Broadway cast is terrific. It's a good old fashioned musical with a warm heart and a simple message - AND some words you won't have heard in song lyrics before! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 July 2013
This review is from: The Book Of Mormon [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Great soundtrack; not for the easily offended! If you've seen the show and loved it then buy away! Great quality download. Amazon downloader was a bit of a pain to use first time but once I had 'authorised' my computer it downloaded just fine..

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, 1 July 2011
This review is from: Book of Mormon (Audio CD)
As a serious South Park and Team America fan I have been seriously disappointed with recent episodes of South Park but after listening to this I can understand why Matt and Trey haven't been giving South Park their complete attention for the last while.

The songs are very catchy but not completely offensive, in fact they don't say anything against the Mormon religion, they just emphasise some of the crazier bits of it.

Personally my favourites were "Making things up again" and "All-American Prophet"

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book of Mormon, 15 July 2012
Great cd....
Some clever music and quite strong lyrics but overall a super musical.
A great show with an amazing journoy and story line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it but not to everyone's taste, 26 July 2011
This review is from: The Book Of Mormon [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
I'm a bit of a musical geek and after listening to the previews of the songs I thought it was worth buying.
Of course I loved it but be warned if you are easily offended it's likely this is not for you. There are of course some songs that are for everyone including 'you and me (but mostly me)' which has to be my favourite track.
Also the parodying of certain musicals was much appreciated too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally good, 6 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Book Of Mormon [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Cleverest, funniest thing I've heard in years. Perfectly skewers the musical genre in the process of delivering character and story-driven gags, which happen to be hilarious. I've seen the show, so have no idea if it makes sense without the connecting dialogue, but the songs that stand alone like You and Me (but mostly me) and killer lines scattered throughout make this worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best musicals I've ever seen!, 15 April 2013
Teefer Tiger "TeeferTiger" (Conwy County, North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Book Of Mormon [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
We went to see this at the Prince of Wales theatre in London the day before it premiered and although I didn't really know what to expect, I absolutely loved it.

The music and lyrics are clever and witty, although not recommended for those with delicate ears! If you're a fan of South Park and have seen Orgazmo and felt amused rather than outraged, then you'll enjoy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable show for the open-minded, 24 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Book of Mormon (Audio CD)
Being a fan of the musicals, but not-so-much of Trey Parker and Matt Stone, I was unsure if I would enjoy this show. I was surprised to find that I found it enormously entertaining. Listening to the music had me frequently tapping my foot and the lyrics are almost annoyingly catchy, though you might want to be wary about singing the more explicit ones in a public place, though it's sometimes difficult to stop yourself.

One of the things I especially enjoyed were the references to other musicals, such as a not-so-covert reference to The Sound of Music in "I believe", the music that reminded me very strongly of "Defying Gravity" in Wicked in "You and Me (but mostly me)". It isn't all comedy, however, and I found "Sal Tlay Ka Siti" surprisingly emotionally affecting.

The CD is marked "explicit", and it would be fair to say that the lyrics are not to the taste of persons of sensitive temperaments who are likely to be offended by strong language. Extremely conservative persons may also not enjoy this show. However, persons of faith could still enjoy this as it doesn't mock religion per se. People I know who consider themselves religious, including myself, still enjoy this show for what it is - a very entertaining piece of modern theatre.

As a benchmark, if you enjoyed "Avenue Q", you will probably enjoy "The Book of Mormon".

The Book Of Mormon [Explicit]