on 27 November 2014
After being fed up using my phone for directions I moved to old fashioned Tom Tom, really useful in the UK also, Used in Turkey and Spain, finding way is so stress-free.
on 26 June 2013
For its price, this is the best SatNav you can find. Regular map updates and clear & easy interface. Array of extra features available (with subscription)
on 6 May 2013
I am an Electrician working on the Mediterranean coast of Spain. I can now travel without fear of getting lost. Last sunday I traveled six hundred km going to 4 different jobs. Door to door without one problem. I was able to phone ahead to say what time I would be arriving which was such an asset to me & the customer.
on 28 July 2015
After reading loads of reviews for different sat navs I eventually bought this one. I have not been disappointed. It's easy and simple to use, signal is always good. I also really like the fact that it tells you traffic queues and if you are on the quickest route. It will then ask if you want to be redirected if you are not on the fastest route. Lovely big screen and good sound despite reviews would highly recommend.
on 17 September 2014
I have a love-hate relationship with Garmins and Tomtoms: if they combined the best of both there would be something worth using. Tomtom doesn't even include a 'Supermarket' category of POI but I discovered some free old ones at:

http://www.tomtomfree.com/POI_collections.htm (2005)
http://www.tomtomfree.com/singlePOIfile.htm (2007)

POI: points of interest, like supermarkets. There are some pay sites too but my old 2010 Garmin 1470 had supermarkets pre-loaded. Choose your poison ...

Tomtom: more robust and software-stable; fast to load; poor POIs; good switchable 2D/3D map views (once set to display them -- not intuitive).

Garmin: terrible batteries don't last; slow to load; better user interface and POIs; flimsy and fragile; ridiculous recessed on/off switch.

If money is no object, buy a premium Garmin and replace regularly before faults develop. Otherwise Tomtoms are solid but have poorer user interface and POIs. Still trying to work out how to scroll the maps without road names popping up where your finger hits the screen.

Listen-up satnav-manufacturers: keep things simple, free of fussy options and let users easily select road numbers/names they want to take en route. Add a quick-view POI-reveal icon to all maps. And depict the route as a channel so as not to obliterate the road type chosen.
on 14 October 2015
A backwards step

I am very disappointed with this device.

Bought in June 2015, the maps were already about 2 years out of date. We only found out on our trip to Russia when it did not know some of the roads in Germany and Poland existed.

Being a Linux user we are not supported for map updates. However, buying a new satnav to replace my trusty Binatone, I had assumed it would have newer maps than the Binatone.

We had to set up a new Windows installation to see what could be done, since the Tomtom started pining for new maps each time it was switched on.

In order to start to assess the website to see if I can complain to Tomtom about all this, I was asked to set up an account.

If you are reading this at TomTom please be aware: I do not wish to be your friend. You should not need my name, address, gender!, e-mail address or any other details for me obtain the maps I should have already had when I bought my satnav!

As I write this the software is downloading something. It should be done in 3 hours!

Other interesting features of this device:

It does not remember routes when it switches itself off. So if you spend 2 hours programming in a route and go to bed for a 3am departure next day don't expect it to remember what you did in the morning.

Scrolling around the map using your finger is not as easy as it was with my much older Binatone.

The screen is not as bright as my much older Binatone – hard to see on a sunny day.

On the plus side: The Russian map (which I knew when purchasing the devise was not a comprehensive one) was good enough to help us navigate for the Russian leg of our trip (to the south West of Moscow). It is very difficult to get a good Russian map in UK. Better to buy your satnav in Russia if that is what you need.

I will definitely not be buying another Tomtom.

That was going to be the end of my review but as I wait for the software to download (5 % done after 20 minutes) it says “it is safe to disconnect your device”. I just did and the download stopped. Thank you so much Tomtom!

I shall review the blood pressure meter, I also bought recently, next.
on 4 December 2012
This Tom Tom is head and shoulder above my last navigation system. The product is light and elegent to look at. The Tom Tom is a sophisticated and complex piece of electronic equipment but very user friendly. The screen is clear and large, the speaker excellent
on 14 October 2014
So easy to use , have refused to have sat nav due to earlier experiences of being confused by instructions and never knowing when to turn !!! .
This has been so easy to use and rarely misunderstand an instruction , have been all over with this and don't know how I managed without it .
My only comment would be to have a mute button on side of case so it can be silenced easily when you reach an area you know well , too difficult whilst driving to silence .
on 30 January 2015
Easy to set up clear and easy to use, voice commands are some times a bit behind on screen pictures
on 4 July 2015
It works very well, although the attachment sucker was useless. But the accompanying paperwork was in every language but English and the access code was not explained and didn't work, requiring phoned help (which was efficient and apologetic).