on 9 October 2011
I was a bit skeptical when I bought this but it's great, I hung it under the eave of our garage near our back door, before using this we couldn't open the door or kitchen window without wasps coming in every couple of minutes. I was using Irn Bru in it (sweet sugary fizzy drink) and it was really working well but one day I swapped to slightly diluted Ribena blackcurrant juice. That worked just as well for the wasps but it also trapped a lot of flies, blue & green bottle types.

One tip if you spill any "bait" on the outside wash it off or the insects will just sit on the outside, each time I hung it up I then washed it down with my sons water pistol, just the trick.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 September 2014
IT WORKS......I bought this product a short while ago, "nothing ventured nothing gained". I was and I am amazed, it is an exceptional product. I hung one on the branch of a tree, I used the cheapest "shandy", I have also in the past used old cider and ginger beer. I also add a teaspoon of sugar to the liquid.

It attracts all sorts of nasties (wasps, horse flies, blue bottles) and I need to change every 3-4 days a Brilliant product. THERE ARE SO MANY nasties IN THE CONTAINER, After just one hour you will see the results.

Bee's and Butterflies are attracted to the honey pot but CANNOT enter which is a Fantastic bonus (as I love these in my garden), they just go elsewhere to pollinate and live happily in their homes.

It is exceptionally easy to use just hang or just sat on a table and watch it work. Great Value

I am very happy to reccommend this product and the company that supplied it, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED, GUARANTEED.
on 8 August 2011
I bought one of these traps & filled the bottom with orange juice, plus a little fruit, then I waited, - fantastic - within a couple of days I had to empty it. I was so pleased with it, I have now bought 8 more and I watch in sheer delight, as I am fed up with being attacked in my own garden.
on 5 August 2011
Was sent this product in error but very pleased. After 5 days the pot is black with wasps and we even managed to have a BBQ for the first time this summer without been pestered!
on 26 September 2012
Large Garden Honey Pot Beehive Fly Bug Wasp Trap Slug Killer

We've all experienced it, the mad flapping and screaming of a person who has discovered a wasp buzzing around them when they are quietly enjoying some gardening, a barbecue/picnic, or a drink in the great outdoors. Not many of us are overly fond of wasps, especially the unlucky few who have been stung in the past and see these "pests" as vindictive, spiteful, venomous tormentors, apparently dead set on making our lives a misery and forcing us back to the dark realms of "Indoor Land"

The Honey Pot is an absolute must for anyone who wants to get rid of these anti-social little menaces and create a wasp free area, especially towards the end of the Summer when the worker wasps have nothing left to do and become aggressive. I couldn't be happier at how effective they have been, and can now freely roam the garden without the need to arm myself with a can of wasp spray and a fly swatter, much to the amusement of my neighbours. Another bonus is, that not only does it trap wasps, but flies, blue bottles and midges too, and I especially like the fact, that not one Bumble Bee has fallen victim, despite trapping as many as 40+ wasps etc a day.
We have tried a variety of baits to attract them, which include:
Meat - This is the best choice in the spring and late winter because wasps are making nests and laying eggs, so they're searching for high protein food; you may even catch a queen this way, in which case the wasps will relocate their nest.
Dishwashing liquid and water
Mashed grapes
Sugar and lemon juice
Beer
Sugar and water
Sugar and vinegar
1 tsp liquid laundry soap, 1 tsp sugar (to attract them), and water - if they do get out, they will still die from the laundry soap
All kinds of fizzy drinks seem to attract them and it's a good idea to add a few drops of washing up liquid to help break the surface tension.
But their absolute favourite and the one thing that works without fail every time, regardless of the time of year is "IRN BRU"

Just remember to empty the Honey Pots each evening, and carefully dispose of the wasps by either flushing them down the loo, or burying them.
on 18 May 2013
I managed to trap 15 queen wasps with some good bait. hopefully that will mean no wasps this summer. one can live in hope
on 11 August 2013
Having tried several others this wins hands down in the wasp trapping race. Baiting with Apple juice seems to work well and within a few hours (on a sunny day) over 30 wasps had been caught including a couple of hornets. I am not into releasing them back into the wild and recommend the "immersing in a bucket of water" method of dealing with an angry captive collection.
on 31 August 2013
I ordered this because of the massive increase in flies over the summer and it filled up within a couple of hours. Although I didn't try for wasps they were also attracted to it and I caught a couple of those.

In short it works and will catch flies or wasps quickly and is reusable.

4 stars because once you have a full container just leaving them to die/killing them seems worse than the one or two you will happily splat because of the sheer number you will have to mass murder but equally unappealing is opening the pot somewhere else to release some pretty angry wasps and masses of flies ...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Wasp and Hornet Trap is made from 2mm thick golden yellow plastic and is constructed from two sections with four interlocking sections holding them together that are glued. The seam all along the base and 5cm up each side is also glued to create a watertight seal on the seam; this slightly affects the aesthetics however, only when close up and is not noticeable if standing more than 3ft away.

The lid or cap if you prefer is made from 2.5mm thick pearlescent plastic which has a loop mounting point on the top and is pre fitted with a strong white nylon cord. The cap is secured to the wasp trap with a twist lock mechanism similar to some bathroom / shower glass ceiling light fittings. Properly screwed tight this fixing is very strong and secure and easily capable of holding the bait required and a host of unfortunate prey.

The Wasp and Hornet Trap has 3 entry holes on each side for enticing flying insects in. The initial opening of these holes measures 21.5mm in diameter and is reduced to 9.1mm on the inside of the trap, this allows easy access for flying insects but a very difficult escape.

The trap also has 84 smaller holes around the larger holes measuring 2.9mm in diameter that are designed to release the sickly sweet sugary smell of the bait to entice nearby insects into the trap via the larger holes.

The wasp traps measure 15.5cm high including cord retainer at the top. At its greatest width it measures approximately 13cm wide.

TESTING.
--------------
The day of my first test was a calm summer day with a minimal light breeze and a temperature of 26c. I was working in the garden with my uncle on replacing fence posts and hoverflies and common flies were in abundance around the assorted potted plants and hanging baskets in the garden.

For my mixture I was lacking real fruit juice and so substituted the water and fruit juice with Capri Sun which is made from fruit juice but from concentrate and has a 24% sugar content. I then placed on a rockery elevated about 60 cm from the floor and about 2 meters from where we were working.

At first we stood back and had a cuppa and watched with eager anticipation. All manner of flying bugs and insects were feasting on the flowers in the rockery, potted plants and baskets that surrounded it and on occasion one would land on the trap and crawl around on it before going back to the flowers. A couple of times, some even went into the holes, but not all the way in and then at the last second turn around and again went back to the flowers.

After we had finished our refreshments we went to work. Fast forward 6 hours and a refreshing shower, I remembered that I had totally forgotten about the trap. My initial test did not go well, there were only two medium sized flying insects within, and I also had a bite on my neck behind my ear. Although in fairness I’m 99% certain that was from being shoulder deep digging out two holes for the most of the day as the bite was just above the arm using for dragging soil out of the ground.

In hindsight, I don’t actually think it was a failure, in the time we were outside due to the heat and physical nature of the work many, many drinks were consumed everything from Lucozade, Pepsi, Beer and even a little water ;) that were all left unattended in on chairs, tables and wheelie bins.

At no time was anything found crawling nor flying around our drinks, nor were we harassed by anything while working. The trap may not have “trapped” much, but placing it between us and where the majority of the bugs were (around the plants) the trap appears to have caught their attention far more than us and our beverages.

I then spent 3 days conducting further tests with bait mixtures and placement of the trap and offer the following pearls of wisdom based on my experience during this time.

Don’t place the trap where you are in the garden. If you are having a meal do not place it on the table, it will only further serve to attract any flying bugs to the table (not to mention the bait sat under your nose is a bit pungent).

The trap is best placed so that any wind is not blowing the odour of the bait towards you, it is also best placed elevated from the height of the table or chairs where you are sitting in the garden, but not so that it is above fence height, if it is it will only attract more bugs into your garden.

When you go out into the garden survey the area and locate where the bugs appear to be congregating the most and place the trap between you and them. If there are no obvious groups of bugs place the trap between you and the nearest group of plants.

Regarding the mixture, the instruction manual method defiantly works best for actually trapping flying bugs and insects. If no real fruit juice is available full sugar standard Coke or Pepsi works, using 75ml replacing the 50ml water and 25ml fruit juice, perhaps adding a little more sugar and vinegar to the mix. The third best option is using 75ml fruit juice concentrate instead of the water and fruit juice again, adding a little more sugar and vinegar.

A PROBLEM SOLVED.
-------------------------------
My next main test was one to try and solve an age old problem of keeping out flying bugs and insects from my summer house while I was inside on a warm day with the door wide open.

I obviously did not want to end up attracting insects into the summer house so decided placement above the door would not be wise, neither would simply placing it to one side of the door as winds could blow the bait odour into the summer house again possibly making the problem worse.

The door to the summerhouse is a standard wooden door and not a sliding door and can be held open at an angle of about 110 degrees with a latch. With the door held open I hung the trap from a roof beam of the summer house just behind the door using a hook.

I used the trap on two consecutive days without changing the bait, storing in the summer house when not in use and I have added an image of the contents of the trap emptied out. A couple of times a flying insect hovered around the doorway and then quickly turned around and flew out, other than that my time was spent unharassed with the door open.

ADDITIONAL INFO.
-----------------------------
If you plan on using the traps in various places and not always in the same location, don’t shorten the nylon cord (it easy to shorten if you require), just use a clothes peg to hold it at the length required.

To clean the trap, place a couple of sheets of paper kitchen towel in the sink and empty the contents into the paper towels. Dispose of the paper towels and rinse the trap three or four times under the tap and place upside down to drip / air dry. Do not use any chemicals or washing liquid to clean.

The waterproof seal at the base of the trap works well, after the second days use in the summer house the weather turned bad and I left on a shelf for several days before getting around to photographing and cleaning and there was no evidence of any leaking of the fluid.

The plastic of the trap is of a good quality, it is however still just plastic. Err on the side of caution when using in windy conditions especially when using on hangers attached to fence posts and do not leave inside when not in use, as even containing the bait it is very light and can get blown in strong winds.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 September 2013
I bought a couple of these as had noticed more wasps around this year than for a few previous. I mixed some jam, honey and lemonade into a glass then poured this in. Stood one on our patio table and another on a nearby wall and both have caught loads of wasps and flies. Even if we are eating out the wasps tend to pick the trap very quickly without stopping long on other things. Guess maybe it's the bright yellow that attracts them as have noticed they also interest butterflies but these can't get in so soon give up. I've also not caught any bees or hover flies so mayber the colour or shape puts these off

So overall very pleased.

A few points though.

Don't put too much liquid in the bottom. The lower holes are quite low down and you need to be careful when moving the trap around not to spill any out of the holes. Otherwise you get bait on the outside of the trap and also maybe on the table you want to keep the wasps from. Also if you use the attached cord to hang the trap somewhere you wouldn't want it getting spilled when the wind blew.

It says on the instructions to take the trap and release the wasps somewhere away from where you don't want them. I'm guessing this is to keep happy those who are against cruelty to wasps - such people may exist. I don't plan to try this. And I think if you took them far enough away so they couldn't return they would die anyway as need to get back to their nest. Seemed a strange idea. I wouldn't recommend doing it.

It says on the description that it is also a slug killer. This may work for small slugs that can get through the holes but I wait to be convinced on this. I'll try out when slugs become more of a problem.