Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 3 May 2014
To be perfectly honest, this was a bit of an impulse purchase. I've always been a big fan of Andrew Cartmel's work on Doctor Who, but I haven't picked up a copy of 2000AD since I was 14. When I saw this book whilst idly browsing online I thought it would be fun to give it a go. Have to say, I didn't bank on it being quite so unputdownable. Cartmel writes with real flair and imagination, and the story is a cracker. It didn't matter that I knew next to nothing about the Strontium Dogs' backstory - after the first 30 pages I felt as though I understood the book's universe and its characters like a long-term fan. I also noticed a couple of nods to Cartmel's Doctor Who novels, as well as his first original novel, The Wise; it's always good to see a genre writer with his own set of themes and preoccupations.
On the strength of Day of the Dogs I may check out Cartmel's Judge Dredd novel Swine Fever, and possibly some of the other books in the 2000AD range too...
All in all, great fun and made for a very enjoyable Saturday afternoon read. Who could ask for more?
on 16 January 2014
A very good read i used to read Strontium Dog when i was growing up and i would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of 2000ad, i will be purchasing others.