Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 12 July 2005
RUTHLESS was my first foray into the Strontium Dog novels. I'd heard one of the audio dramas written by Jonathan Clements, and decided to try the novel.
I was not disappointed in it. It's an entertaining, well-constructed story that doesn't REQUIRE pre-knowledge of the series (though that would be very helpful). It had all the elements of a good adventure story - action, tension, comic relief (a lot of comic relief). I was pleasantly surprised by the interwoven action and humor. It's tightly written, has good characterization, and keeps up its pace through all the turns the plot takes.
Yes, Virginia, there *is* a plot. A plot with odd twisty bits that make you unsure where Clements is going with it - since, at the beginning, there seems to be a straight-forward path for the hero. But, alas, it is not meant to be. Where many media tie-in novels have predictable endings, this one flirts with one then comes out of left-field with one last twist that left me saying, "Huh, didn't see THAT coming..."
All in all, a good read, as I have come to expect from Clements. I hope he does more fiction soon.
on 22 December 2010
Thoroughly enjoyed this kindle book from the first to last word. The author really brings the characters to life, and while the tale is a storm of extrovert proportions, the narrative is grounded and believable. This was one of the those rare books that I had to ration as I really didn't want it to end. The initial description of 'the Gronk' is worth the price of the download itself. First time I have felt compelled to write a review.