5.0 out of 5 stars Weeds and Wild Flowers

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Weeds
Published on 4 Dec 2010 by Marsha Coupe

5.0 out of 5 stars Weeds and Wild Flowers, 3 May 2010
This review is from: Weeds and Wild Flowers (Hardcover)
A really beautiful book in all senses, the poetry, the etchings and the physical book itself. I haven't really liked much poetry but decided to buy this after reading a review in The Guardian newspaper and was not disappointed. A slight criticism, if I dare to make one would be a lack of reference at the end to the Latin/alternative names of the flowers in the poems as I have had to look up many as I wasn't familiar with the names used. The same for the etchings would be good. The book is a delight without, so don't be put off by this comment. I am expecting some more of Oswald's poetry for my birthday!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magical Collaboration, 18 Aug 2009
LittleMoon (loving my life in the rain) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Weeds and Wild Flowers (Hardcover)
Oswald and Greenman are on the same wavelength, and this is a magical collaboration. Oswald speaks of her hope for an "unsettling pleasure [reading this book], like walking through a garden at night, when the plants come right up to the edges of their names and then beyond them." Greenman echoes with her own dark side, the unsettling pleasure of the etching process: "The flowers themselves act on my mind... they bite into me."

Jessica Greenman's etchings are reprinted here in black and white, appearing as though they have been pencilled in on tracing paper. It's a beautiful effect: filigree intensity & delicate intricacy combine to create images of wild flowers that are at once as deep as if they were carved onto the page, and yet insubstantial, as though seen through a morning mist.

It's hard to imagine a more complimentary style of illustration for Oswald's poetry, which is itself written in filigree language, being a both intense, and delicate, experience. Her poems are a superb selection of personifications: weeds and flowers made human.

"Daisy" murmurs of childhood associations, but ends with a sinister bite:

I will push my nail
into her neck and make
a lovely necklace out of her green bones

"Bastard Toadflax" lives up to his name, in a tongue-in-cheek incarnation:

Marriage?

Extreme headache
slides over one eyebrow.

Only swearing can help now.

And "Snowdrop" is "just a frozen melting glow/of water swollen to the point of falling".

Alice Oswald's poetry always brings me to adjectives that describe light - in the sense of brightness; her work shines, and just keeps getting better. Fans of any of her other works, are sure to enjoy this, her poems speaking with her characteristic clarity and intelligence, whilst hinting at hidden darknesses.

And the hardback, well worth the extra money, is finished in pale blue and brown; a beautiful addition to any shelf. Buy it for friends who love Alice Oswald, or Jessica Greenman, or for yourself, if you have ever looked into the faces of flowers and wondered...

Oh, and the downside? With just 24 poems in its pages, Weeds & Wild Flowers will leave you wanting more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Weeds & Wild Flowers, 3 Aug 2009
This review is from: Weeds and Wild Flowers (Hardcover)
This book received several excellent reviews in the Daily Telegraph. As I am a keen gardener and interested in wild flowers as well as poetry, it was an obvious choice.
The poems are excellent and the engravings are good, but not as clearly outlined as I had expected; most have a pale grey background.
My daughter borrowed the book and said she liked it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a beautful book.., 17 April 2009
Wil Andersen (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Weeds and Wild Flowers (Hardcover)
I have always liked Alice Oswald's poety and so was keen to acquire this. But the revelation was the etchings of Jessica Greenman. Truly beautiful work and so appropriate to the poems.

I shall seek out more of her artwork with enthusiasm. Fortunately the book is a bargain price on Amazon (at the time of writing anyway) and so I have some money left over for original artwork.

Do seek this book out - it will repay the effort

5.0 out of 5 stars thought Provoking Poetry, 10 Jun 2009
This review is from: Weeds and Wild Flowers (Hardcover)
Beautifully lyrical poetry with evocative illustrations I thoroughly loved it and some of the poems remain with me still. I can highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poetry Please, 23 Nov 2010
This review is from: Weeds and Wild Flowers (Hardcover)
I thought this book was great. I love poetry, and the idea of combining Alice Oswald's poems with etchings means that this book is accessible to more people.
Hope there will be more to come.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Weeds, 4 Dec 2010
This review is from: Weeds and Wild Flowers (Hardcover)
Bought this small, handsome book for my nature/book/poetry loving husband, based on an excellent review in The Guardian. Alas, neither of us could appreciate the thin prose. Like too many poetry collections, this feels a tad forced and self-conscious. We read it together in a single sitting and have not picked it up since (nearly a year later) A promising idea, "Weeds and Wild Flowers," in need of more wildness and flowers.

Weeds and Wild Flowers