4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Boots
****Very important first thing these are small fitting - order a size bigger****
I am a 9 but the size 9 I got was more like an 8 so order a size too big and you will be alight. I got the replacement pair very quickly.
Published on 14 Feb. 2012 by Cipiatone

1.0 out of 5 stars These boots are not waterproof.
Published on 9 May 2012 by filth

1.0 out of 5 stars These boots are not waterproof., 9 May 2012
This review is from: Merrell Men's Cham 4 Mid Wtpf Lace Up (Apparel)
I bought these boots back in November 2011. They are not cheap. But i needed a pair of waterproof boots and regarded Merrell as a reputable hiking company. I assumed these would last me years. Only a few months down the line and the boots have failed completely. I haven't hiked in them, played football, kicked anything i shouldn't, climbed mountains or anything strenuous. I have simply walked my dog each morning in dew laden grass for a few months. And now cannot step more than 10 yards without my socks become sodden. They are comfortable, I'll give them that, but now, only when i keep them dry. They are most definitely not waterproof on a long term basis. However...

I contacted Amazon regarding the issue. And they went above and beyond to help me. They explained that they would normally only issue a 30 day return or refund policy on an item of this type but in my case, because of the circumstances, they would honour a full refund. They sent a courier to pick up the boots within a few days and processed a full refund for me without question. Amazon's customer service is second to none.

As a footnote, I also received an email from Merrell regarding the issue, completely unprompted by me. They were also extremely apologetic and helpful. They explained that they actually offer their customers a full year's guarantee on their products and that if I didn't have any luck with the retailer, that I should contact them regarding an exchange or refund and they would honour it in full. Because I'd bought through Amazon, I didn't need to use their offer of help, but I found it understandably reassuring and it reaffirmed my faith in Merrell as a company. Brilliant customer service from both manufacturer and retailer. Thank you to both of you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Boots, 14 Feb. 2012
I had a version of these boots about 4 years ago which were made from one piece of leather all the way round and they were excellent, these ones have two pieces of leather and don't have the same metal lower lace holes as the first ones I had but they do seem very very well made. The toe seems very solid and are probably an improvement.Very comfortably and great to walk in, delivery was fast, I would recommend them no problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars They've got the sizes all wrong...!!!, 24 Feb. 2013
Stephen Russell "Stevie Russ.." (Bristol, Uk) - See all my reviews
I tried to find these boots somewhere so I could try them on but after phoning Merrell UK, they said that only online retailers had bought them. No problem. I've owned a number of Merrell trainers and you can pull your size off the shelf and they will just fit. That's an UK 8 for me then.. (42). In fact, I can't remember a time where a UK size 8, from any manufacture, hasn't just fitted my feet so this should be easy. Amazon's customer service is exceptional so I knew that if I didn't like them for any reason they could go back and i'd get my money back, without issue. So, I clicked the button.

A week or so later they turned up. Size 8 they claim but they are probably or almost exactly like a size 7. I know this as there's is a size 7 in my house and it feels the same. So, I can only assume a size 9 will be around about perfect?! Whether simply jumping a size up or down will work for everyone I don't know, or whether the issue simply is around the size 8/9 area, who knows. Amazon don't seem to have picked up on this issue, which they now should as it's a waste of ours and their time. What went wrong Merrell??

As far as the boot is concerned, I haven't obviously had a chance to try them out properly but I will say that they felt ultra light when I picked them up. There is a definite sense of quality to them and they look just like they do in Amazon's pictures of them. Merrell's official picture of them is over lit so they look much paler than they actually are in real life (which is a good thing). Although size 8 (size 7) is too small for me, they felt very comfortable in the respect of the cushioning inside. I can't wait to get a pair that actually fit to be honest. A very cool looking walking boot, which I plan to wear around the place in general as well as for exploring.

WEARING UPDATE..!!

I've just been on a short break to Devon. We did a few walks on varying surfaces from sand to rocks on the beach, climbing wet wooden and stone steps, splashing through a few streams on the beach, trudging along wet grassy/muddy paths and these pretty much stood up to all of it without any discomfort at all. You can wear these straight away without feeling like you have a new pair of boots on. They are very comfy from the off.

These boot from Merrell represent the very reason I tend to prefer their sensible footwear over most other shoe makers. They sort of just get it right.. I've had little to no reason to complain or be dissatisfied with all the footwear i've bought from them. Nothing is perfect but they always seem to get pretty close and these are no exception.

That said, i'd like to hear from some proper hardcore walkers that chose these with knowledge and experience of some of the much more expensive outdoor boots. I sense that these would stand up very well compared though. Bargain..

4.0 out of 5 stars Merrell Chameleon Great (but slippy on some wet paths & rocks), 8 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Merrell Men's Cham 4 Mid Wtpf Lace Up (Apparel)
Merrell CHAMELEON Trainers/Boots/Shoes Great(but slippy on some wet paths & rocks)

I have 3 pairs, one old trainer style which I have liked so much I have now purchased a Boot style and a replacement trainer style.

My trainers were waterproof and comfortable, and the way that the front part of the sole is shaped allows you to walk without the big toe being pushed back, great for me as my toe joints are damaged. In some shoes I am in pain after a couple of hundred metres, in this I can walk 10 kilometres without much problem.

One Problem - although they are grippy on normal paths, soft ground & mud, they are VERY SLIPPERY on some wet paths & rocks, almost dangerously so, SO BEWARE!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars better than I thought, 26 Feb. 2012
I usually get new walking boots long before I need a new pair. I know because I have shopped aroud, that outdoor shops sell these boots for almost twice the price that I paid at Amazon. The boots are comfortable and warm in cold weather and kept my feet perfectly dry on my recent visit to Finish Lapland where temperatures were as low as minus 22c. They were delivered The next day after ordering, a lot earlier than I expested. I am very pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars great boot, 9 Feb. 2012
Nik Harley "Mindenwood" (Washington,UK) - See all my reviews
Straight out the box they are very comfortable, I use these boots for walking the dog and they just get better and better as they are worn. VERY warm and dry, would buy another pair in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST, 6 Aug. 2012
VERY GOOD Soft and comfortable Merrell CAN TO MAKE FOR COMFORT.
YOU NEED TO TAKE WHEN BUYING MORE SIZE AND I HAVE 8UK 9UK FITS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Hiking Boots, 20 April 2012
A. D. Gibbs "Gadgetman" (Cheltenham UK) - See all my reviews
Bought these because they were cheap not expecting too much. They are actually excellent. Fitted straight away without having to 'break in'. Comfortable from day 1 and no blisters. Great value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars My First Choice For Outdoor Footwear, 1 April 2012
Merrell's are my first choice for outdoor footwear, especially if they are fitted with Aegis protection system. Even after hours / days of wear they do not give off any unpleasant odors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big foot, 12 July 2013
Very nice lightweight boot , decent ankle support,But take heed, as others have said GO one size Bigger, i find this seems to becoming the norm I am a Size 8 UK,42 Euro, not any more apparently 42 euro is now a UK 71/2 ,I went 43 with these boots and they fit like a pair of gloves. I I had this problem with Shimano cycle shoes as well.

Merrell Men's Cham 4 Mid Wtpf Lace Up