5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly Beautiful Music!
This album took me completely by surprise. I stumbled upon it via my love for Talk Talk's utterly sublime album "Spirit of Eden" and reading reviews of that which mentioned Bon Iver as having been influenced by that masterpiece.

It has just got so under my skin with its subtle musicality and Justin Vernon's natural progression from his hugely well-received...
Published 22 months ago by Music lover

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame, could have been so much better.
Bought this on a five star recommendation in the press. This is an interesting and attractive, although not exceptional, work from a musical point of view. It is, however, let down by some very poor production values, particularly on the first track and impenetrable vocals throughout. I listened hard, both to the CD and to example tracks on iTunes, but the words of...
Published on 2 July 2011 by captain

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Echoey and incoherent with synthesizer insults, 26 Jun 2011
This review is from: Bon Iver, Bon Iver (Audio CD)
'For Emma, Forever' is an exceptional album, but this doesn't compare. I'm all for artists changing their style as they develop and mature, but the second album is a little too early to do so, Mr Iver.

Amongst what I consider to be a messy album, there are a couple of gems. However, my listening conclusion is that I'd like Bon to pack up that guitar he plays so well along with some warm clothes and head back to the log cabin in which 'For Emma, Forever' was conceived.

As for the over-use of echo and the multi-layering of vocals (which is fine for the pop music world) to further soften and distort that which should be audible, plus the awful inclusion of synthesized sounds, perhaps a listen to William Fitzsimmon's incredible 'Passion Play' should be the marker by which and not beyond which Folk music should go.

5.0 out of 5 stars He's done it again - Sublime, sublime, sublime - a religious experience, 21 Jun 2011
Sublime, sublime sublime.

Again I find myself coming off the back of only listening to the Fleet Foxes to be again, only listening to Bon Iver. They have done it again and as previously stated, this time its warmer. The album is short but again thats even better as you just want to put it on again and re-experience it all.

Its uplifting, tear jerking and heavenly all at once. They seem to have combined the universe, all that matters, your entire past, the present and the endless possibilities of your future into one album, and they seem to be saying that despite it all, the future does in fact look bright.

Music these days is terrible and there is a certain core who refuse to give in, who refuse to churn out run of the mill crap. The Fleet Foxes, Laura Marling, The Elected, Beth Jeans Houghton, Mumford & Sons, J Tillman and others. Bon Iver is ranked among them.

Somehow the sound on this album cannot be set to one genre. One might argue the "nu-folk" is a genre and that the Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver and branched off to create "haunted-folk". Well if thats the case then Helplessness Blues and now Bon Iver's self titled "Bon Iver" and started something even better, I would call-it "Warm-Folk" Its sunrise, its love-butterflies, its realising your in love, its a hug from the one you love the most, its your kids, your first lover, its skydiving - or the rush of falling through the air - although mostly in slow motion. It's "Bon Iver" by Bon Iver.

So my advise is, if you don't have the album, download the actual CD and start listening. Immediately after that - and as a mark of respect for the treehuggers that comprise Bon Iver - order the softcopy and place in your collection as one of the most influential albums of all time.

2.0 out of 5 stars that difficult 2nd album, 18 Sep 2011
This review is from: Bon Iver, Bon Iver (Audio CD)
This album on first listening sounds like something went badly wrong with the recording. Just as well the lyrics are on the rather nicely printed insert booklet because otherwise I would defy anyone to have the faintest clue what he's singing about. The vocals sound like they have been recorded in another room. The songs are completely indistinguishable from each other. A great disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars dissappointed, 22 Dec 2011
This review is from: Bon Iver (MP3 Download)
I know this this goes against critical praise, but I found this a bit boring and difficult to get into. Had about 5 listens. Maybe need more.

No particular track stood out. Vocals a bit whiney and I could not understand.

2.0 out of 5 stars would someone please..., 7 Jan 2013
puma (Copenhagen Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bon Iver, Bon Iver (Audio CD)
...wake me up when the "New Folk" age is over... It's like hearing a singer-songwriter at your local pub. A great voice does not a great artist make.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vernon dumps Emma and finds happiness, 5 July 2011
Arthur Dooley (N Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bon Iver, Bon Iver (Audio CD)
For Emma Forever ago was a slow burner for me. I originally found it too much in the well worked Bonnie Prince Billy, Bright Eyes,Iron and Wine territory. Easy on the ear but nothing extraordinary. On reflection,my three star review was a tad curmudgeonly. I would change it to four stars if I could. However,Vernon's new offering made an instant impact and I haven't stopped playing it since I downloaded it two days ago. If 'Emma' WAS indeed a classic then its a hell of thing to do to follow it up with an even better album and for me then he definitely has.
Those dismal Jimmies who have found the album not to their liking and awarded it two or three stars are entitled to their opinion. After all,unless you are one of those SAD Amazon reviwers who feel it it is their duty to award five stars to their personal favourites regradless of objectivity,then musical taste is highly subjective. However, I can only wonder just what the two/three star brigade would be looking for in a Bon Iver album ? This is the music of the man. It's his best shot and the fact that as I write it lies at number three in the Amazon charts shows that this minority artist can do something which carries appeal.

4.0 out of 5 stars CD, 13 Dec 2012
This review is from: Bon Iver, Bon Iver (Audio CD)
Bought for my husband who loves it. I like it. Arrived very quickly and the picture of the front is very attractive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 18 Aug 2011
Catherine walker (Nuneaton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bon Iver, Bon Iver (Audio CD)
I loved the first album so much that I've actually worn it out, so when a new Bon Iver album was announced I was a little nervous. Would I love it as much or would I be disapointed. I think I love this album a little bit more right now. Every time I hear Hollocene on the radio (thank you Fearn and Greg ala Radio 1), I get goosebumps. Incredibly at the moment the whole album seems to be having the same effect.
We seem to be blessed with some great new albums at the moment, add this one to your shopping list you won't be disapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bon Hiver, by Bon Hiver, 28 July 2011
This review is from: Bon Iver (MP3 Download)
Love it, really skilfull use of anything that comes to hand, thouroghly recomend this to people who know his work and anyone who doesn't yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 12 July 2011
This review is from: Bon Iver, Bon Iver (Audio CD)
This album just keeps growing and growing on me and I already loved it on the first listen!
Just exactly as For Emma, forever ago did and my only worry of overlistening to it is now resting quietly.

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

Bon Iver, Bon Iver
Bon Iver, Bon Iver by Bon Iver (Audio CD - 2011)