4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but not exceptional
I will admit that I originally downloaded this to my Kindle for the simple reason that it was free. Judging by the cover it wasn't necessarily something that I'd enjoy, but it looked like a quick read, so I gave it a go.

Published on 22 Jun 2011 by EL

3.0 out of 5 stars Falling Star
I am undecided on this book! It was nice and easy to read and I was pleasantly surprised by the plot twists.
However, something was missing.

About half way through the book I realised how annoying the main character was! Natalie is such a whingeing drip! I didn't feel sorry for her in the slightest that her contract for $750,000 a year was expiring! I...
Published on 23 Jun 2011 by DaisyDaisy

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but not exceptional, 22 Jun 2011
This review is from: Falling Star (Kindle Edition)

I'm glad I did, because I actually quite enjoyed it. Yes, many of the characters and plot points were a bit over the top, but all in all it was an addictive and well-written story. It dealt with issues that are very relevant at the moment (ageism and sexism in the media world), but delivered the message without seeming 'preachy' or patronising.

Natalie, the heroine of the story, is 40 and having a career crisis thanks to her obnoxious new boss, Tony. She has also just split from her husband of more than 10 years, and is at a bit of a loose end. Add a completely amoral - and much younger - rival to the mix, not to mention her handsome agent Geoff, and you can see where the story is going. There weren't really any big suprises - it's not that kind of book - and various parts were a bit predictable, but frankly if you're reading chick lit and expecting complicated and unforeseen twists then you're looking in the wrong place!

Basically Falling Star is a lighthearted story with good characters, an author who knows how to write, and an underlying message that reminds the reader that in actual fact the situation Natalie finds herself in is not entirely imagined. I recommend this to anyone who likes this kind of book (well-written chick lit), and I may well now read other books by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read!, 16 Jun 2011
This review is from: Falling Star (Kindle Edition)
Not much to say, except a well written "Chick Lit" book with an edge to it. The author has written strong female characters, and some really good "baddies", there are twists and turns before the story is resolved, and few unexpected ones too. I enjoyed reading this book,and it was free which is even better, especially as in the past I have paid good monies, for really bad versions of this sort of novel! Recommend it very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, 11 Jun 2011
This review is from: Falling Star (Kindle Edition)
This is a great summer read. Ms. Dempsey writes with an intimate knowledge of the behind-the-scenes world of news broadcasting, and gives us a heroine who is smart, sexy and fun. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Fun, 10 Jun 2011
W. E. Fuller (Redondo Beach, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Falling Star (Kindle Edition)
This book is an honest-to-goodness delight from start to finish. Not only does it provide an intriging look inside the ruthless world of network news from an author who's actually worked in that industry, but it's full of richly-drawn characters -- heroines, heroes and villains -- as well as a fast-paced plot full of delicious twists and lots of romance and heart. I couldn't put this one down!

4.0 out of 5 stars yup great freebie, 13 Jun 2011
This review is from: Falling Star (Kindle Edition)
a really good read, couldn't put it down and for a kindle freebie fantastic, am now going to purchase the other two books which I previously wouldn't have looked at. Good storyline, have to say slightly predictable but fun and not too soppy !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspense, romance and a smart woman - love it!, 10 Jun 2011
I loved this book! Great page turner, with the right doses of romance and suspense. I also like that this author is clearly a smart, career woman who writes for and about strong women. Really enjoyable read, with a great hook of a story that is fast-paced and keeps you guessing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 4 July 2011
This review is from: Falling Star (Kindle Edition)
Great book! Loved every page, could not put it down, throughly entertaining. Have become a huge Dempsy fan and bought another installment straight away. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 15 Jun 2011
This review is from: Falling Star (Kindle Edition)
I haven't read any of Diana Dempsey's books before but I read this one in two days as I just couldn't put it down!
I've already downloaded more of her books and would recommend that others do too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a look, 15 Sep 2011
This review is from: Falling Star (Kindle Edition)
This was the first non-classic freebie I downloaded to my kindle. I chose it because of the good reviews although I was a bit sceptical since it was free. However i was pleasantly surprised. I struggled with the first few chapters but I persevered and really enjoyed the book. I found myself cheering towards the end when several characters got their comeuppance. This is a light read which is not taxing at all. Good for chilling out on a quiet afternoon. Still can't figure out why it's free but I'm not complaining! Worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff., 9 July 2011
This review is from: Falling Star (Kindle Edition)
Read this in one sitting, thought it might be a 'fluffy' summertime read, but it's much more than that. An excellent read.

Falling Star